Non-Titans playoff talk

deeluxx3

47 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Agreed and I think that comes from the coaching staff.  Although we laid an egg this year, we didn't play scared last year in New England or Baltimore (and had good reason to) and knocked them off.  We need a defense much better than this year and we need to be clicking on all cylinders when the playoffs hit.  The Chiefs are not unbeatable.

Vrabel has shown to often be aggressive, this time against Baltimore he balked. I’m not too worried moving forward, just observing from this particular postseason 

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I assume you were also fine with Vrabel punting on 4th and 2? 

That's not exactly the same case, but no, I wasn't as pissed off by that as most people, apparently.

As for LaFleur's call, they needed to stop Brady regardless. Either they hold them to a 3 and out, got the ball back with time, a timeout and a chance to win the game with a TD, or hoped to pull an impossible 4th down conversion, attempt a 2-point conversion and score it, and then try to stop Brady from getting them in game-winning FG range for a chance to go to overtime. 

One decision is banking on a 3 and out stop and a TD to win the game.

Other is banking on at least two low-probability events (TD on 4th & 8 and then the 2-point conversion) + stopping Brady from getting into FG range to go to overtime. In 2 out of 3 results with a TD attempt on 4th they need a 3 and out. In the 3rd possible scenario they need to stop them from getting into FG range.

So yes, I 100% agree with not taking such a big risk to then hope Brady won't be able to get them in FG range and best case scenario would have likely been overtime.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

You have Rodgers at QB. You need 8 yards for a TD. You are an offensive coach. Everything in your gut should have told you to go for it. 
Yeah you were a penalty away from getting the ball back, but it was a bad call.

Vrabel's 4th and 2 was bad too. You have a 2,000 yard rusher. MVP candidate in Derrick Henry. You need 2 yards. Inside what was it? the 40?

You say. "Hey we gonna ride or die with Henry. go for it!" 

You are playing the most explosive offense in generations. You haven't really stopped them ALL game. You finally get a drive together to get within scoring range and you kick FGs. While KC is scoring TDs. You have to be able to analyze the game in a realistic eye. I know every coach wants to believe in their players, but your team had almost nothing for the Chiefs offense.  Try to get TDs. One FG ok, I get. But multiple times within the redzone......

No excuses for either one of those guys. 

Didn't play to win. Played not to lose. And in the playoffs, that will get ya beat a lot of times. 

As the great CJ2K once said

If you're scared, go to church

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

You have Rodgers at QB. You need 8 yards for a TD. You are an offensive coach. Everything in your gut should have told you to go for it. 
Yeah you were a penalty away from getting the ball back, but it was a bad call.

Vrabel's 4th and 2 was bad too. You have a 2,000 yard rusher. MVP candidate in Derrick Henry. You need 2 yards. Inside what was it? the 40?

You say. "Hey we gonna ride or die with Henry. go for it!" 

You are playing the most explosive offense in generations. You haven't really stopped them ALL game. You finally get a drive together to get within scoring range and you kick FGs. While KC is scoring TDs. You have to be able to analyze the game in a realistic eye. I know every coach wants to believe in their players, but your team had almost nothing for the Chiefs offense.  Try to get TDs. One FG ok, I get. But multiple times within the redzone......

No excuses for either one of those guys. 

Didn't play to win. Played not to lose. And in the playoffs, that will get ya beat a lot of times. 

Three downs with no yards gained should've advised anyone that it was going to be tough to convert on a 4th attempt. Pass rush clearly had an effect, especially on not their best OL configuration.

Even if they did score, you're looking at a 2-point conversion. They already missed on such an attempt earlier in the game, which means that that would be no gimmick either. Dropped ball, but still.

Then you still need to stop Brady from getting into FG range or else you lose the game anyway. When right before the half, you allowed not only a 4th & 4 conversion, but also a 39-yard TD with 13 seconds to go. This time he would've had 2 minutes and TOs to work with, and only needed a FG to go to the Super Bowl.

History (past attempts and similar situations) advised against it. Probability and scenario-driven analysis advised against it. I get people want to see balls, but it was the right call 100%.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

Three downs with no yards gained should've advised anyone that it was going to be tough to convert on a 4th attempt. Pass rush clearly had an effect, especially on not their best OL configuration.

Even if they did score, you're looking at a 2-point conversion. They already missed on such an attempt earlier in the game, which means that that would be no gimmick either. Dropped ball, but still.

Then you still need to stop Brady from getting into FG range or else you lose the game anyway. When right before the half, you allowed not only a 4th & 4 conversion, but also a 39-yard TD with 13 seconds to go. This time he would've had 2 minutes and TOs to work with, and only needed a FG to go to the Super Bowl.

History (past attempts and similar situations) advised against it. Probability and scenario-driven analysis advised against it. I get people want to see balls, but it was the right call 100%.

After reading your previous post about why, I have to change and agree with you. I forgot about Rodgers not getting any yards on 3 attempts. And he could have ran it in at least two time or got to the one. 

I still think he should have gone for it, but yes the likelyhood of sucess was low considering they got nothing on 3 previous downs. 

Rodgers failure led to Lafluer's predicament. 

24 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

After reading your previous post about why, I have to change and agree with you. I forgot about Rodgers not getting any yards on 3 attempts. And he could have ran it in at least two time or got to the one. 

I still think he should have gone for it, but yes the likelyhood of sucess was low considering they got nothing on 3 previous downs. 

Rodgers failure led to Lafluer's predicament. 

Rodgers' post-game attitude was also weird. He claimed to have believed they were going to go for it, even switched the blame of him calling that 3rd down play (which both confirm it was Rodgers' play), claiming that he would've called a different play if he knew. 

But then again, if you really believe you're going to go for it on 4th, you run and pick up at least those 4-5 easy yards in front of him, instead of throwing it into a double coverage.

That could've made for a different decision. But we will never know. In part because Rodgers didn't run for those extra free yards, but also because LaFleur took full and sole responsibility instead of blaming anyone else, like Rodgers did.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a ton of crap from lame Chiefs fans on the cesspool that is Twitter clamoring about how "Mahomes and the team will be back"

like no s***? That's like saying the sun will rise tomorrow. As long as you have Mahomes, you'll always be a contender.

They gotta just take this A** whoopin' and keep it moving.

• Like 1