Jump to content

The Marvin Jones Jr Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

Seeing as Marvin Jones may not return to the Lions in 2021, I think this is a good time to put this thing out there. (It's well deserved.)

Not enough is made about Marvin Jones. Since joining the Lions in 2016, he has put up 289 receptions for 4,296 yards and 36 TDs. He has been a fantastic football player, teammate and person.

If he doesn't return, he went out giving it his all for this team. Thanks Marvin.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been a great WR for us after losing Megatron. Good player. Outstanding man. He's still young-ish and wouldn't mind returning him for a year or two depending on what the Lions do with Golladay. Like Golden Tate, I will support him no matter where he ends up. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Marvin Jones Jr. is in my opinion the most under rated player on the Lions.He came in following Megatrons departure and has done whatever they asked. 

I believe the team should make him priority one this off season.  Veteran leadership with good skill. I could see them signing Marvin and Letting Golladay walk, then drafting one of the top young WR’s in the first. If that happened I wouldn’t be upset at all.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Marvin Jones Jr. is in my opinion the most under rated player on the Lions.He came in following Megatrons departure and has done whatever they asked. 

I believe the team should make him priority one this off season.  Veteran leadership with good skill. I could see them signing Marvin and Letting Golladay walk, then drafting one of the top young WR’s in the first. If that happened I wouldn’t be upset at all.

Marvin Jones

Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith 

Quintez Cephus

is a nice WR group if Golladay does not return.

 

A WR I like in the middle rounds is Justyn Ross from Clemson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Louis Friend said:

Marvin Jones

Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith 

Quintez Cephus

is a nice WR group if Golladay does not return.

 

A WR I like in the middle rounds is Justyn Ross from Clemson.

Yes, it is.

Personally I like Golladay but don’t view him as a complete receiver. He’s great at contested balls but I would much prefer a number one receiver that gets better separation. I would like to see them go after Allen Robinson.

They have the luxury of letting Golladay walk, draft his replacement and spend the money on other areas of need.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

Yes, it is.

Personally I like Golladay but don’t view him as a complete receiver. He’s great at contested balls but I would much prefer a number one receiver that gets better separation. I would like to see them go after Allen Robinson.

They have the luxury of letting Golladay walk, draft his replacement and spend the money on other areas of need.

I like Golladay as well, but I'm not willing to break the bank for a player who cannot stay healthy. Especially when we need so much elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Marvin Jones Jr. is in my opinion the most under rated player on the Lions.He came in following Megatrons departure and has done whatever they asked. 

I believe the team should make him priority one this off season.  Veteran leadership with good skill. I could see them signing Marvin and Letting Golladay walk, then drafting one of the top young WR’s in the first. If that happened I wouldn’t be upset at all.

I could see Detroit wanting Marvin back but I don't expect that Marvin will want to come back at this point in his career. I wouldn't blame him either. This is an organization in transition and we aren't going to be sniffing at being a playoff contender for at least 1 to 2 years. Marvin has shown that he can be very productive. Throw him on a playoff contender and round out their WR corp. His numbers might drop off but he could be the veteran guy that can help push a team over the hump. 

If I'm the Colts, I'd go after either KG or Allen Robinson; add Marvin on a short term deal and then trade for Stafford (assuming that he is available). 

QB - Stafford

RB - J. Taylor, Hines

WR - KG/AR, Marvin, Pittman, Pascal, Patmon

TE - Doyle, Alie-Cox, Burton, 

I feel like I keep coming to this same well all of the time but it just feels like it makes too much sense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I could see Detroit wanting Marvin back but I don't expect that Marvin will want to come back at this point in his career. I wouldn't blame him either. This is an organization in transition and we aren't going to be sniffing at being a playoff contender for at least 1 to 2 years. Marvin has shown that he can be very productive. Throw him on a playoff contender and round out their WR corp. His numbers might drop off but he could be the veteran guy that can help push a team over the hump. 

If I'm the Colts, I'd go after either KG or Allen Robinson; add Marvin on a short term deal and then trade for Stafford (assuming that he is available). 

QB - Stafford

RB - J. Taylor, Hines

WR - KG/AR, Marvin, Pittman, Pascal, Patmon

TE - Doyle, Alie-Cox, Burton, 

I feel like I keep coming to this same well all of the time but it just feels like it makes too much sense. 

Although I don't necessarily disagree, if you haven't watched the Week 17 "Mic'd Up" with Stafford, I suggest you do. They (Stafford and Jones) seem to have a really strong relationship.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I could see Detroit wanting Marvin back but I don't expect that Marvin will want to come back at this point in his career. I wouldn't blame him either. This is an organization in transition and we aren't going to be sniffing at being a playoff contender for at least 1 to 2 years. Marvin has shown that he can be very productive. Throw him on a playoff contender and round out their WR corp. His numbers might drop off but he could be the veteran guy that can help push a team over the hump. 

If I'm the Colts, I'd go after either KG or Allen Robinson; add Marvin on a short term deal and then trade for Stafford (assuming that he is available). 

QB - Stafford

RB - J. Taylor, Hines

WR - KG/AR, Marvin, Pittman, Pascal, Patmon

TE - Doyle, Alie-Cox, Burton, 

I feel like I keep coming to this same well all of the time but it just feels like it makes too much sense. 

If the Lions feel their QB of the future is there at 7 I could see a draft day trade. The Colts are close. The offensive weapons you listed would be a scary combination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Although I don't necessarily disagree, if you haven't watched the Week 17 "Mic'd Up" with Stafford, I suggest you do. They (Stafford and Jones) seem to have a really strong relationship.

Oh I have. It wouldn't surprise me to see those two connect again if they could match things up. 

Marvin has had his injury issues and he is getting older but would be a nice option as part of a group like that, especially if he was paired up again with Stafford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Marvin Jones Jr. is in my opinion the most under rated player on the Lions.He came in following Megatrons departure and has done whatever they asked. 

I believe the team should make him priority one this off season.  Veteran leadership with good skill. I could see them signing Marvin and Letting Golladay walk, then drafting one of the top young WR’s in the first. If that happened I wouldn’t be upset at all.

I am starting to think we may go that route. Just a hunch. Kenny is a real good player, but I do not think we give him top 5 money. Clearly, so much is yet to be determined based on the GM/HC situation, but Stafford has so much respect through out the league and is still playing very well. This is not a situation where the qb is declining. I bring this up to reinforce that Chase may be in play before Wilson/Lance if either were on the board. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I am starting to think we may go that route. Just a hunch. Kenny is a real good player, but I do not think we give him top 5 money. Clearly, so much is yet to be determined based on the GM/HC situation, but Stafford has so much respect through out the league and is still playing very well. This is not a situation where the qb is declining. I bring this up to reinforce that Chase may be in play before Wilson/Lance if either were on the board. 

I just wonder whether Marvin would want to come back to a rebuild. I don't question his skillset and his love of playing with Matthew Stafford. However, if you're now a free agent with recent, consistent production and you've played on two relatively mediocre teams without a sniff at a ring or even just the playoffs... why would you want to come back? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I just wonder whether Marvin would want to come back to a rebuild. I don't question his skillset and his love of playing with Matthew Stafford. However, if you're now a free agent with recent, consistent production and you've played on two relatively mediocre teams without a sniff at a ring or even just the playoffs... why would you want to come back? 

I honestly don't think he will have a huge market.  Aging receivers moving to a new system don't always see their value in free agency.  I think he is moving into the Deymarius Thomas realm of contract type and although he may have a couple options, I don't think he sees a ton of money.  He loves the city and loves Stafford, I am guessing if there is interest on our end, he would be interested in returning.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I honestly don't think he will have a huge market.  Aging receivers moving to a new system don't always see their value in free agency.  I think he is moving into the Deymarius Thomas realm of contract type and although he may have a couple options, I don't think he sees a ton of money.  He loves the city and loves Stafford, I am guessing if there is interest on our end, he would be interested in returning.  

I don't think it would be just about money though. It's more about opportunity and getting a shot at something else to cap off a career. A bunch of teams towards the bottom of the draft in need of a WR:

  • Miami
  • Indianapolis
  • Baltimore
  • New Orleans
  • Green Bay
  • Kansas City

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...