Playoff Game Thread

RpMc

The Vikings made a huge mistake letting Stefanski leave. 

Stefanski, in one season, has changed the culture in that Cleveland locker room. He built a game plan and adapted to multiple players and coaches, including himself, out, all with basically no practice. And that team went out to prove something.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Stefanski, in one season, has changed the culture in that Cleveland locker room. He built a game plan and adapted to multiple players and coaches, including himself, out, all with basically no practice. And that team went out to prove something.

Concur 

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Like PA said, that's the Kevin Kalm.  The Browns needed stability over anything.  Kevin has given them that.  

I don't think it's necessarily a "mistake" that they let him go...it was an opportunity for him.  A mistake would have been letting him go to NY with Shurmur when that opportunity arose.  They made sure that happened.  The Vikings have a good head coach, it's never a mistake when people under him get HC opportunities.

Edited by swede700

It’s a mistake when you let a 38 year old promising coach, who not only has the respect of ownership, but also the locker room, leave in order to keep a 64 year old coach who’s really just given you solid, but unspectacular results over a long enough period of time to know what you have. 

The multiple reports of Zimmer being let go had they lost to the Saints last year shows that the Wilfs knew Zimmer wasn’t the answer. And they mistakenly allowed the emotions of that game dictate their decision. 

The Vikings need a personality change. They need a spark of energy. Zimmer is just too much of a curmudgeon to provide that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s a mistake when you let a 38 year old promising coach, who not only has the respect of ownership, but also the locker room, leave in order to keep a 64 year old coach who’s really just given you solid, but unspectacular results over a long enough period of time to know what you have. 

The multiple reports of Zimmer being let go had they lost to the Saints last year shows that the Wilfs knew Zimmer wasn’t the answer. And they mistakenly allowed the emotions of that game dictate their decision. 

The Vikings need a personality change. They need a spark of energy. Zimmer is just too much of a curmudgeon to provide that. 

Personality changes have never gotten us anywhere.  

16 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'd argue they need a coaching change.........not personality change. This leadership has gotten them not to the playoffs more often than to the playoffs.

As I've indicated in the past, when you look at the circumstances surrounding the times they didn't make the playoffs, that's a unfair judgment when you don't factor in the context.  That's the equivalent of saying that 98% of soldiers survived D-Day, but not saying how many of those suffered life-long injuries as a result of D-Day.   If you solely look at the overall result, sure...but we all know the circumstances surrounding it, so that's really a flimsy argument as far as I'm concerned.     

Edited by swede700

40 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I've indicated in the past, when you look at the circumstances surrounding the times they didn't make the playoffs, that's a unfair judgment when you don't factor in the context.  That's the equivalent of saying that 98% of soldiers survived D-Day, but not saying how many of those suffered life-long injuries as a result of D-Day.   If you solely look at the overall result, sure...but we all know the circumstances surrounding it, so that's really a flimsy argument as far as I'm concerned.     

And yet,  the circumstances when they do are all about how great they are? Five times they need excuses? How many times does it need to happen not to be their issue at all?

And NO, it is not like D-day. Good god.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

And yet,  the circumstances when they do are all about how great they are? Five times they need excuses? How many times does it need to happen not to be their issue at all?

And NO, it is not like D-day. Good god.

I'm still waiting until the end of next season before I consider whether there is a need for a change.  I've been fairly consistent on that.  We'll know a lot more about the direction of the team then.  

And sorry about the comparison, but that's a recent comparison I've seen presented to the anti-maskers who have argued that 99% of the people who get COVID live...it puts it in perspective, as that was the exact percentage of people who survived D-Day too.  I was trying to think of a different comparison, but I couldn't think of one.