Josh Allen Appreciation Thread

BayRaider

I don't want to get too cocky, but people didn't really appreciate that i had him as QB1 that year.  I'm honestly not sure how long he'll be able to sustain this sort of performance...but he's showing all of every facet of what i liked about him.  He's big, mobile, absolutely crazy arm, and i think a lot of the problem was just getting things calibrated from college where he had a useless cast, to the NFL where he had a decent cast to the NFL where they actually got him some guys who can catch the ******* football.  And it's expanded as such.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, Counselor said:

You also had Justin Jefferson as a second round pick and the two University of Tennessee WR’s as first round picks including comparing one to DeAndre Hopkins. 

In VanS’s defense...Callaway is really good. It may not come across looking at the stats from this year, but I’d be surprised if he isn’t a significant contributor moving forward. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, VanS said:

So the narrative now is that Josh Allen improved dramatically rather than folks admitting you were wrong for doubting him?  SMH.

Anybody who watched Allen closely the last 2 years could have seen this coming.  His talent was obvious.  

I don't think it's just. A lot of players have a lot of talent, but don't necessarily realise it. Allen's dedication to improving his game is what is allowing him to get to the next level. 

4 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I don't think it's just. A lot of players have a lot of talent, but don't necessarily realise it. Allen's dedication to improving his game is what is allowing him to get to the next level. 

I think its the fact the talent around him is finally adequate that took his numbers to the next level.  Individually he was this good last year.  He just didn't have the supporting cast on offense.  Josh Allen did not personally improve from being a below average QB to MVP caliber in a single off-season.

12 hours ago, VanS said:

I think its the fact the talent around him is finally adequate that took his numbers to the next level.  Individually he was this good last year.  He just didn't have the supporting cast on offense.  Josh Allen did not personally improve from being a below average QB to MVP caliber in a single off-season.

I'm sure that's part of it. Also the Bills have to be credited for designing their team and tactics around Allen's abilities, rather than the other way around.  There's various factors involved. 

I appreciate how much he has grown from last year. 

That Texans playoff game, I wondered if he belonged in the league. 

He has improved his decision making. His arm is otherworldly. 

I still find him annoying at times but that's just because he isn't my QB. Lol. 

But it looks like Buffalo has something they can grow going forward for a long time. 

Like anything else. Needs some more time to reach the ultimate heights and consistently perform at this level.

Interesting to see what happens if and when the OC gets a head coaching job. 

Is his success tied to him or is it him just getting better and better. 

Either way can't deny his growth. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

That Texans playoff game, I wondered if he belonged in the league. 

I really don't get this take.  I thought he played well most of the game.  I mean they did take a huge lead in the game.  And at the end he was trying to do too much which led to the huge sacks for loss.  Its not like he didn't have the ability to play.  It was just him doing some boneheaded plays cause he's so competitive.

As with almost every Josh Allen take by the masses, I just don't get what ya'll are seeing. 

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

I really don't get this take.  I thought he played well most of the game.  I mean they did take a huge lead in the game.  And at the end he was trying to do too much which led to the huge sacks for loss.  Its not like he didn't have the ability to play.  It was just him doing some boneheaded plays cause he's so competitive.

As with almost every Josh Allen take by the masses, I just don't get what ya'll are seeing. 

Overly dramatic from me maybe.. lol 

Well didn't see him much last year except for really two times. And both times he wasn't overly impressive. 
He threw the ball 46 times that game Hit about half of them. Sacked 3 times. A lot of questionable throws in that game from what I can remember.  And the narrative (had truth) that his completion of passes wasn't that great. 

To me, he just lacked decision making and wasn't overly impressive. Competitive or not. He seemed at best a serviceable QB that needed a whole lot around him for his team to have a chance.
Now to me he has grown to the point where he can carry a team. 

This year he eliminated, to me, pretty much all those faults. 
I appreciate his growth trend. 

40 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Overly dramatic from me maybe.. lol 

Well didn't see him much last year except for really two times. And both times he wasn't overly impressive. 
He threw the ball 46 times that game Hit about half of them. Sacked 3 times. A lot of questionable throws in that game from what I can remember.  And the narrative (had truth) that his completion of passes wasn't that great. 

To me, he just lacked decision making and wasn't overly impressive. Competitive or not. He seemed at best a serviceable QB that needed a whole lot around him for his team to have a chance.
Now to me he has grown to the point where he can carry a team. 

This year he eliminated, to me, pretty much all those faults. 
I appreciate his growth trend. 

I think most people don't get how much individual stats are affected by the talent around you in a team sport like football.  Josh had by far the worst set of skill position players last year in the playoffs.  I mentioned it several times before the playoffs began.  Take away Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, the 2 best offensive lineman on the Chiefs, and Andy Reid then lets see how Patrick Mahomes does.  That's basically what Josh Allen had to work with last year.

If you put a player's production in the proper context of who he has around him, then what happened this year with Allen wouldn't surprise you.  The Bills gave him a true #1 WR for the first time, improved the o-line, and got a steal in the 4th round with rookie WR Gabriel Davis.  It was these improvements around him that allowed his true talents to show itself in the box score.

Edited by VanS

1 minute ago, VanS said:

I think most people don't get football is a team sport.  Josh had by far the worst set of skill position players last year in the playoffs.  I mentioned it several times before the playoffs began.  Take away Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, the 2 best offensive lineman on the Chiefs, and Andy Reid then lets see how Patrick Mahomes does.  That's basically what Josh Allen had to work with last year.

If you put a player's production in the proper context of who he has around him, then what happened this year with Allen wouldn't surprise you.  The Bills gave him a true #1 WR for the first time, improved the o-line, and got a steal in the 4th round with rookie WR Gabriel Davis.  It was these improvements around him that allowed his true talents to show itself in the box score.

I think football is the ultimate team sport.
I don't the purpose of my statement to take away from the fact that Allen has improved in an area. My whole purpose has more to do with him as a player than the team that surrounds him.

You can put some QBs on an all HOF team and they still wouldn't be that great of a player. Winston had some great players around him last year, but his decision making was so bad and the team suffered.

Yes the surroundings make a huge difference. 

My main point was that I felt Allen was subpar in the decision making department and this year he improved leaps and bounds in that area.

Maybe you saw it all along and he just needed better cast around him but I would say a good majority did not. 

And while we may never see Mahomes without the players around him, I think he would do just fine elsewhere. 

But if Allen has always been doing this, I guess I missed it. I didn't see it from him last year when I saw him. He was a legit MVP candidate this year. 

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think football is the ultimate team sport.
I don't the purpose of my statement to take away from the fact that Allen has improved in an area. My whole purpose has more to do with him as a player than the team that surrounds him.

You can put some QBs on an all HOF team and they still wouldn't be that great of a player. Winston had some great players around him last year, but his decision making was so bad and the team suffered.

Yes the surroundings make a huge difference. 

My main point was that I felt Allen was subpar in the decision making department and this year he improved leaps and bounds in that area.

Maybe you saw it all along and he just needed better cast around him but I would say a good majority did not. 

And while we may never see Mahomes without the players around him, I think he would do just fine elsewhere. 

But if Allen has always been doing this, I guess I missed it. I didn't see it from him last year when I saw him. He was a legit MVP candidate this year. 

I actually pointed this out about Allen when he was a prospect.  I said the only weakness he had as a player was his decision-making because of his competitiveness.  He was more in the Brett Favre mold than Jameis Winston.  Josh would pass up the wide open check to take the more risky shot down the field.  To a degree this sort of aggressiveness is good.  However, you have to know the time and place for it.  For large parts of his first two years in the league, Josh didn't know how to balance this.  This year however its where he's improved the most.  To me this is different than Winston who simply has an inability to see the field which is why he throws so many picks.  Josh's issue wasn't an inability to make the right decisions but rather an inability to know when he should take risks and when he shouldn't.

And FTR I think if you take away those weapons from Mahomes then he becomes no different than Matthew Stafford.  I think his supporting cast makes a huge difference in terms of the success he's enjoyed to start his career.