Jump to content

Who here....????


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Who here, besides me, is a little upset that we lost. Not because of the team losing and wanting to see them win a playoff game for the first time in 15 years.

No. 

Because you wanted to see Heinecke play another game this season. 

I was severely underestimating this guy and he kinda blew me away. Kid was poised. Was elusive as hell. Played heads-up football and really delivered tonight. I'm feeling much better about the position going into 2021.

Now, granted it was only one game. But that was a big reason why I wanted us to win tonight.

To see MOAR!!

The team has backed themselves into a corner.  Honestly, they do need to see more of Heinecke.  They need to see if his success can be sustained or if it's just based off no tape being available on him.  

The fan in me looking through burgundy and gold colored glasses says that Heinecke deserves to compete for the job next year.  He did a much better job than anyone expected.  The defense let us down.  If you told me solely on offense that we would score 23 points, I would probably have called that a win.  

Now........in practical terms, this is the worst situation that we could be in as a team.  We have a guy who put up 23 against Tom Brady and took him to the very end.  Heinecke has the support of fans after this game for sure.  But.........he has next to no experience in the NFL, and we have one game of tape on him. 

Here is the rub- as great as this run has been, Rivera put himself on the clock.  2021 is not a season that he can now throw away by trying to develop Heinecke.  There is no development season for Heinecke.  He's got to earn that job, and I think the team still has the same need at QB because of the unknown.  The good thing is that we can play the draft game, and work on the guy who falls so we can still use pick 18 for another player.  

But as usual, the situation plays out for this franchise in the worst possible way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm going to say this and stand by it emphatically:

Taylor Heinicke did enough to beat Tom Brady today.

 

He put 23 points on the board and our defense laid an egg. Chase Young for all the hype and talk, did nothing big. Besides DaRon Payne, our defense really didn't play great. You CANNOT allow Tom Brady to sit in the pocket. We were out-schemed by a better coaching staff and better players.

Jack Del Rio is now 1-10 against Tom Brady.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Call me crazy but If we decide not to go QB 1st in the draft then I would want Heinicke and Allen for a starting job. I would take Mond in the 3rd though

The only positive coming from this is that I think they can get away with using 18 on another position, and trading up for a QB who falls, or waiting to take Mond or Newman on Day 2.  Either way, they have to draft a QB early, but I don't think we need to trade up for one, or use 18 to grab one.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The team has backed themselves into a corner.  Honestly, they do need to see more of Heinecke.  They need to see if his success can be sustained or if it's just based off no tape being available on him.  

The fan in me looking through burgundy and gold colored glasses says that Heinecke deserves to compete for the job next year.  He did a much better job than anyone expected.  The defense let us down.  If you told me solely on offense that we would score 23 points, I would probably have called that a win.  

Now........in practical terms, this is the worst situation that we could be in as a team.  We have a guy who put up 23 against Tom Brady and took him to the very end.  Heinecke has the support of fans after this game for sure.  But.........he has next to no experience in the NFL, and we have one game of tape on him. 

Here is the rub- as great as this run has been, Rivera put himself on the clock.  2021 is not a season that he can now throw away by trying to develop Heinecke.  There is no development season for Heinecke.  He's got to earn that job, and I think the team still has the same need at QB because of the unknown.  The good thing is that we can play the draft game, and work on the guy who falls so we can still use pick 18 for another player.  

But as usual, the situation plays out for this franchise in the worst possible way. 

I'm actually on the whole other end of the spectrum of this take.  Heinicke's performance actually frees up the staff to do whatever they want this offseason.  There was going to be a ton of pressure to force a QB pick in the upcoming draft.  Now that pressure won't be as strong.  This way they can take whatever BPA is at 19.  Or if they still want to go and get that QB they can do that too.  But it won't be because they're being forced to do it.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm actually on the whole other end of the spectrum of this take.  Heinicke's performance actually frees up the staff to do whatever they want this offseason.  There was going to be a ton of pressure to force a QB pick in the upcoming draft.  Now that pressure won't be as strong.  This way they can take whatever BPA is at 19.  Or if they still want to go and get that QB they can do that too.  But it won't be because they're being forced to do it.  

So you are OK throwing away next season like we did with Grossman/Beck if Heinecke isn't the guy?  Not a leading question, just curious.  

I think they still need to take a QB because, like I said, Rivera's on the clock to win now.  If we don't take one this year, and Heinecke doesn't work out, then we've essentially written off Year 2 and Year 3.  If we take a QB to develop, and Heinecke falters, that QB is ready to take over in Year 3.  Or, if Heinecke is the real deal, we have a backup on a rookie deal or can work out a trade.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So you are OK throwing away next season like we did with Grossman/Beck if Heinecke isn't the guy?  Not a leading question, just curious.  

I think they still need to take a QB because, like I said, Rivera's on the clock to win now.  If we don't take one this year, and Heinecke doesn't work out, then we've essentially written off Year 2 and Year 3.  If we take a QB to develop, and Heinecke falters, that QB is ready to take over in Year 3.  Or, if Heinecke is the real deal, we have a backup on a rookie deal or can work out a trade.  

How is it any different than taking another first round QB?  Any prospect we take could bust.  Except Heinicke won't have the crushing pressure and expectations of a first round pick.  He's basically house money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is though, this wasn’t just one game. He looked really good against Carolina as well. Maybe he’s just a solid back-up and if that’s the case that’s great too but the staff owes it to themselves to find out if they stumbled upon something here. I’m one of the most extremely pessimistic fans on here but anyone who could watch last night and not be a little intrigued is just crazy to me. 
 

It wasn’t just the crazy run and his stout play, it was that he knew the situation. He knew when he needed to take off, he knew what receiver to go to, he could sense pressure and get away from it. If he was just sitting back in a pocket all game and just throwing to wide open receivers then I’d get it but that’s not what happened at all. And I don’t want to hear that things just clicking for a player later on isn’t possible because it is. A guy like Kurt Warner is a great example of it. And no, I’m not comparing him to Kurt Warner I’m just saying it won’t hurt this franchise to find out if they stumbled upon gold. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The thing is though, this wasn’t just one game. He looked really good against Carolina as well. Maybe he’s just a solid back-up and if that’s the case that’s great too but the staff owes it to themselves to find out if they stumbled upon something here. I’m one of the most extremely pessimistic fans on here but anyone who could watch last night and not be a little intrigued is just crazy to me. 
 

It wasn’t just the crazy run and his stout play, it was that he knew the situation. He knew when he needed to take off, he knew what receiver to go to, he could sense pressure and get away from it. If he was just sitting back in a pocket all game and just throwing to wide open receivers then I’d get it but that’s not what happened at all. And I don’t want to hear that things just clicking for a player later on isn’t possible because it is. A guy like Kurt Warner is a great example of it. And no, I’m not comparing him to Kurt Warner I’m just saying it won’t hurt this franchise to find out if they stumbled upon gold. 

Hence the conundrum 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The thing is though, this wasn’t just one game. He looked really good against Carolina as well. Maybe he’s just a solid back-up and if that’s the case that’s great too but the staff owes it to themselves to find out if they stumbled upon something here. I’m one of the most extremely pessimistic fans on here but anyone who could watch last night and not be a little intrigued is just crazy to me. 
 

It wasn’t just the crazy run and his stout play, it was that he knew the situation. He knew when he needed to take off, he knew what receiver to go to, he could sense pressure and get away from it. If he was just sitting back in a pocket all game and just throwing to wide open receivers then I’d get it but that’s not what happened at all. And I don’t want to hear that things just clicking for a player later on isn’t possible because it is. A guy like Kurt Warner is a great example of it. And no, I’m not comparing him to Kurt Warner I’m just saying it won’t hurt this franchise to find out if they stumbled upon gold. 

Remember there was a debate after Bledsoe goy healthy that he should start in the playoff over Brady

 

No risk no Biscuit

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

How is it any different than taking another first round QB?  Any prospect we take could bust.  Except Heinicke won't have the crushing pressure and expectations of a first round pick.  He's basically house money.  

Because if you don't do it this year, the third year is another middling rebuilding year with a rookie QB.  Granted, you have more weapons you add for them, but now you've pushed off winning to year four out of five.  With no seasons over .500 likely at that point.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because if you don't do it this year, the third year is another middling rebuilding year with a rookie QB.  Granted, you have more weapons you add for them, but now you've pushed off winning to year four out of five.  With no seasons over .500 likely at that point.  

But that is the same with any young QB we add.  Even if we traded the farm to move up for a rookie QB this year there's guarantee that player will work out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...