2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Major pipe dream alert here, but what if they found a way to bootstrap a Watt signing to a Watson trade?

Specifically, what I’m referring to is the idea that if we were able to sign Watt, it would make it a little more palatable to trade Sweat in a Watson deal. It would be a short-term move, but the reality is that with Watson and this defense, we would be in a position to potentially contend in the short term. 

We might be able to meet their reported price of two 1sts, two 2nds, and two defensive players without too much significant right-now dropoff. The picks plus Sweat and Curl/Collins would have to meet their asking price — I’m assuming they’d rather have Curl, but they’re in spin control/face saving mode, and perhaps a bigger name with a track record of accolades would buy them more credibility with what must be a fanbase in open rebellion at this point.

No question it would hamstring our ability to build a complete team in the short term. But it would be an interesting play if we’re inclined to try to sit at the big kid’s table ASAP. Bring back Scherff, sign a Marvin Jones or something, draft a WR and an LB with the 3rds, and see what you have. Would make things interesting, anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Major pipe dream alert here, but what if they found a way to bootstrap a Watt signing to a Watson trade?

Specifically, what I’m referring to is the idea that if we were able to sign Watt, it would make it a little more palatable to trade Sweat in a Watson deal. It would be a short-term move, but the reality is that with Watson and this defense, we would be in a position to potentially contend in the short term. 

We might be able to meet their reported price of two 1sts, two 2nds, and two defensive players without too much significant right-now dropoff. The picks plus Sweat and Curl/Collins would have to meet their asking price — I’m assuming they’d rather have Curl, but they’re in spin control/face saving mode, and perhaps a bigger name with a track record of accolades would buy them more credibility with what must be a fanbase in open rebellion at this point.

No question it would hamstring our ability to build a complete team in the short term. But it would be an interesting play if we’re inclined to try to sit at the big kid’s table ASAP. Bring back Scherff, sign a Marvin Jones or something, draft a WR and an LB with the 3rds, and see what you have. Would make things interesting, anyway. 

I’d do it. If we’re serious about becoming a true contender we have to find some way to build this team other than just mostly relying on the draft and FAs who are good but don’t move the needle. We have to be players in both FA & the draft and we also have to find a QB who’s capable of making us a contender.

I don’t think Collins is tradeable.  I’d trade Curl & Sweat but it’s questionable that the Texans would see Curl as a definite starter at SS on their defense. They have other safeties, two that battled injuries last year which was a major problem for their D.

I would think we’d have to trade one of our starting DTs. That would suck to lose Sweat & Allen or Payne but I don’t think we’re going to be able to keep 2 or 3 of our 4 starting DL for their second contracts anyway and you have to think about what we’d be getting back in a trade like this w/ Watson vs lesser picks if we are trading two of them in a few years or letting them walk & just take mid round comp picks while losing them.

Plus as you said with Watt being released, it’d open up an opportunity to sign Watt to replace Sweat as a short term fix there. At DT we’d still have Ioannidis & Tim Settle there as options with our other starter whether that’s Allen or Payne.

I would also push the Texans on the point that if we’re giving up two starting DL (say Allen & Sweat) that should knock off one of the 1st round pick demands because they’d be getting two great DL starters back plus one 1st & those other picks.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d do it. If we’re serious about becoming a true contender we have to find some way to build this team other than just mostly relying on the draft and FAs who are good but don’t move the needle. We have to be players in both FA & the draft and we also have to find a QB who’s capable of making us a contender.

I don’t think Collins is tradeable.  I’d trade Curl & Sweat but it’s questionable that the Texans would see Curl as a definite starter at SS on their defense. They have other safeties, two that battled injuries last year which was a major problem for their D.

I would think we’d have to trade one of our starting DTs. That would suck to lose Sweat & Allen or Payne but I don’t think we’re going to be able to keep 2 or 3 of our 4 starting DL for their second contracts anyway and you have to think about what we’d be getting back in a trade like this w/ Watson vs lesser picks if we are trading two of them in a few years or letting them walk & just take mid round comp picks while losing them.

Plus as you said with Watt being released, it’d open up an opportunity to sign Watt to replace Sweat as a short term fix there. At DT we’d still have Ioannidis & Tim Settle there as options with our other starter whether that’s Allen or Payne.

I would also push the Texans on the point that if we’re giving up two starting DL (say Allen & Sweat) that should knock off one of the 1st round pick demands because they’d be getting two great DL starters back plus one 1st & those other picks.

Teams chasing the formula that just won will always be left chasing!!! All these teams see Brady moving and forget Tampa didn’t give Jack in draft comp!!! So everyone please really think long and hard at every massive draft capital trade for any player and ask yourself did they even sniff success. It’s hard enough winning when you bring in a high priced FA and getting him up to speed with the team before he falls off or gets hurt!!! I’ll take the team over the player. You just said you’d give away Curl and Sweat. Both of those guys look like their on their way to multiple pro bowls. They both are tough. We haven’t been able to cover TE’s in a decade and you want to trade the first guy we’ve ever had that can?

This thirstyness for a QB is the reason that the years of patient building here won’t pay off if we make these moves. You do realize Tampa was able to use last years draft to solidify their 3rd level of their defense in Winfield. Well trading for Watson we can’t do that!!!! You do realize that team has put a premium on drafting and then this year they made a FA move at QB that happens once every 5 years maybe. It’s a mistake dude!!! Watson has 2 knee repairs man. How many times do we have to watch this movie here before we learn that this just isn’t the way to do it. This isn’t the NBA where there’s 12 guys 5 on the floor so if you have the best 2 or 3 your gold!!!

The rookie window team won against the team of guys on their second deals. No Brady wasn’t in his rookie deal but just about every key piece on that team getting there was. Wirf their best OL. White their all pro LB. Vea their space eating nose Winfield and they have mid level vet contract and they brought in Brady. Watson isn’t Brady!!! Watson will cost 3 top picks and players. Brady cost 30 some mil a year. This talk of how this is smart is maddening we won’t even have a first again until he’s 29!!! So how are we replacing Sweat and every other piece we lose while also having guys to resign with current holes? It isn’t going to happen.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Teams chasing the formula that just won will always be left chasing!!! All these teams see Brady moving and forget Tampa didn’t give Jack in draft comp!!! So everyone please really think long and hard at every massive draft capital trade for any player and ask yourself did they even sniff success. It’s hard enough winning when you bring in a high priced FA and getting him up to speed with the team before he falls off or gets hurt!!! I’ll take the team over the player. You just said you’d give away Curl and Sweat. Both of those guys look like their on their way to multiple pro bowls. They both are tough. We haven’t been able to cover TE’s in a decade and you want to trade the first guy we’ve ever had that can?

This thirstyness for a QB is the reason that the years of patient building here won’t pay off if we make these moves. You do realize Tampa was able to use last years draft to solidify their 3rd level of their defense in Winfield. Well trading for Watson we can’t do that!!!! You do realize that team has put a premium on drafting and then this year they made a FA move at QB that happens once every 5 years maybe. It’s a mistake dude!!! Watson has 2 knee repairs man. How many times do we have to watch this movie here before we learn that this just isn’t the way to do it. This isn’t the NBA where there’s 12 guys 5 on the floor so if you have the best 2 or 3 your gold!!!

The rookie window team won against the team of guys on their second deals. No Brady wasn’t in his rookie deal but just about every key piece on that team getting there was. Wirf their best OL. White their all pro LB. Vea their space eating nose Winfield and they have mid level vet contract and they brought in Brady. Watson isn’t Brady!!! Watson will cost 3 top picks and players. Brady cost 30 some mil a year. This talk of how this is smart is maddening we won’t even have a first again until he’s 29!!! So how are we replacing Sweat and every other piece we lose while also having guys to resign with current holes? It isn’t going to happen.

I’ll say it again, it’s not ideal to trade for a good veteran QB but, it’s an option and we’re not going to be able to keep at least one and maybe two of our starting DL past their first contract.

Would you rather trade Jon Allen (who you want to trade for a pick anyway) in a package for DeShaun Watson or for a 2nd round pick?

I don’t see many options for this team to get a franchise QB right now other than trading for a vet who’s a real upgrade or trading up giving up a lot of draft capital both ways to get Fuelds, Wilson or Lance in the draft because we’re back in mediocrity. 

Last year was the year for this team to win 3 to 6 games again and if we had we’d be sitting in the top 10 with a great opportunity to get one of the top QBs. But we won the division and now we’re chasing a QB bc while that’s not our only real hole holding us back from being a perennial playoff team and maybe a Super Bowl contender, QB is the main thing that will be holding us back from making that leap.

As currently constructed I don’t think Alex, Kyle or Heinicke are Super Bowl caliber QBs. They’re good enough to keep us around .500 & playoffs contenders & maybe just above with a few breaks here or there but that gets us no where just like last season. It’s not good enough to be a Super Bowl contender and it’s not bad enough to get one of the best QB prospects in the draft.

WE ARE STUCK IN MEDIOCRITY AGAIN IF WE’RE NOT GOING TO TRADE UP FOR A QB OR TRADE FOR A VET.

Were in the absolute worst place to be right now.

We have to make a move in either trading for a vet or up in the draft. I don’t see any other way we get the good to great franchise QB this team needs to become better than average.

You also can’t build your team scared to make moves as we did from 2014-2020, that kept us in mediocrity too under Brice Allen & our first year under Rivera.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ll say it again, it’s not ideal to trade for a good veteran QB but, it’s an option and we’re not going to be able to keep at least one and maybe two of our starting DL past their first contract.

Would you rather trade Jon Allen (who you want to trade for a pick anyway) in a package for DeShaun Watson or for a 2nd round pick?

I don’t see many options for this team to get a franchise QB right now other than trading for a vet who’s a real upgrade or trading up giving up a lot of draft capital both ways to get Fuelds, Wilson or Lance in the draft because we’re back in mediocrity. 

Last year was the year for this team to win 3 to 6 games again and if we had we’d be sitting in the top 10 with a great opportunity to get one of the top QBs. But we won the division and now we’re chasing a QB bc while that’s not our only real hole holding us back from being a perennial playoff team and maybe a Super Bowl contender, QB is the main thing that will be holding us back from making that leap.

As currently constructed I don’t think Alex, Kyle or Heinicke are Super Bowl caliber QBs. They’re good enough to keep us around .500 & playoffs contenders & maybe just above with a few breaks here or there but that gets us no where just like last season. It’s not good enough to be a Super Bowl contender and it’s not bad enough to get one of the best QB prospects in the draft.

WE ARE STUCK IN MEDIOCRITY AGAIN IF WE’RE NOT GOING TO TRADE UP FOR A QB OR TRADE FOR A VET.

Were in the absolute worst place to be right now.

We have to make a move in either trading for a vet or up in the draft. I don’t see any other way we get the good to great franchise QB this team needs to become better than average.

You also can’t build your team scared to make moves as we did from 2014-2020, that kept us in mediocrity too under Brice Allen & our first year under Rivera.

And I’m completely okay with moving up in the draft where it doesn’t cost you to weaken your team of vets trust me I’m over here saying move up and get your guy. But that still allows you flexibility moving forward with the cap and in FA and with future drafts to build. The veteran route of trading just screams bad news when you don’t have a QB of any value on your roster to include to upgrade that position. 

29 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

And I’m completely okay with moving up in the draft where it doesn’t cost you to weaken your team of vets trust me I’m over here saying move up and get your guy. But that still allows you flexibility moving forward with the cap and in FA and with future drafts to build. The veteran route of trading just screams bad news when you don’t have a QB of any value on your roster to include to upgrade that position. 

To me if you can get WIlson or Watson without trading Terry Young or 2 Dlineman you do it,I'd be ok with trading a 3rd for Darnold or Mariota and hope the system fit makes them look like the top prospect they were coming out.

Something I don't see a lot of talking heads on tv saying but I believe is with the cap going down this year we're going to see a couple year stretch of NBA like Free Agents where people take way less money to go to a winner and some mid tier guys get way to much as there the only options left.
Already think Pat Pete takes less money and goes to KC and re unites with Honey badger and get a chance at ring,have already seen multiple vets talk about going to Tampa and playing with Brady after they won.

I think as a team we're in no mans land at the moment when it comes to QB,the team good enough to win enough without picking in the top but not good enough to win playoffs and that makes it really hard to get better cuase it is going to force you to either overpay to trade up for a QB in draft or overpay to trade for a QB.

42 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If this is the way we go by trading for Mariota;

How do you guys feel going into next season with the Mariota/Heinicke/Allen?

What would you be willing to give up for him?

A 2 and a 4 I think would be fair. It’s funny on the pod I’ve kept marrying Mariota here because of scheme fit and this is a very logical and calculated move I think the comp I mentioned is fair and maybe you can do it for less maybe who knows. I actually love this move. You can draft Mond if he becomes a value at some point in the draft if it doesn’t pan out next year there is a draft and these teams that swing and trade picks and go crazy this offseason will be stuck and we can work that draft in a more normal offseason 

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If this is the way we go by trading for Mariota;

How do you guys feel going into next season with the Mariota/Heinicke/Allen?

What would you be willing to give up for him?

There is no way I would trade draft assets for an average starter really a back up quality QB like Mariota. He doesn’t move needle. If we trade for him, I’ll be more mad then I’ve been at this team in a decade.

Mariota isn’t an upgrade. I wouldn’t trade for him. He’s not accurate, he doesn’t push the ball downfield well. The only thing he has going for him over Alex is he’s younger & he’s athletic but he’s not the leader that Alex is. Mariota is not the answer. He keeps us at mediocre. There’s a reason why Mike Vrabel benched Mariota for Tanehill bc Vrabel knew Mariota had taken him as far as he could. He couldn’t get the Titans over the hump and make them a Super Bowl contender like Tanehill has.

2 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

To me if you can get WIlson or Watson without trading Terry Young or 2 Dlineman you do it,I'd be ok with trading a 3rd for Darnold or Mariota and hope the system fit makes them look like the top prospect they were coming out.

Something I don't see a lot of talking heads on tv saying but I believe is with the cap going down this year we're going to see a couple year stretch of NBA like Free Agents where people take way less money to go to a winner and some mid tier guys get way to much as there the only options left.
Already think Pat Pete takes less money and goes to KC and re unites with Honey badger and get a chance at ring,have already seen multiple vets talk about going to Tampa and playing with Brady after they won.

I think as a team we're in no mans land at the moment when it comes to QB,the team good enough to win enough without picking in the top but not good enough to win playoffs and that makes it really hard to get better cuase it is going to force you to either overpay to trade up for a QB in draft or overpay to trade for a QB.

I’d rather not trade one of our top 5 players for Watson or Wilson but I’m open to it depending on what else we’d have to throw in after that, at some point I’d walk away. For example, if we are trading one of our top 5 young players, I’m considering them worth one of those 1sts. 

I’m a no on Mariota. I’m not trading for another teams back up who doesn’t move the needle for us, he keeps us in no man’s land/average & we have to give up draft assets for him?  Mariota just isn’t that good, he’s not worth it and I think he’s reached his ceiling as a player. I’d much rather sign Newton, Winston Tyrod  or Trubisky in FA rather than trade for a Mariota who isn’t better than them. I can’t stress enough how much it doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m a yes on Darnold for a 3rd. Darnold hasn’t reached his ceiling yet as a player, that’s why in interested. Darnold has franchise QB skills, he just needs coached better and better players around him. Darnold to Terry, whoever we add as our #2/Cam Sims, Logan Thomas, Gibby & Mickissic could become a really a good passing offense for us.