2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

A 2 and a 4 I think would be fair. It’s funny on the pod I’ve kept marrying Mariota here because of scheme fit and this is a very logical and calculated move I think the comp I mentioned is fair and maybe you can do it for less maybe who knows. I actually love this move. You can draft Mond if he becomes a value at some point in the draft if it doesn’t pan out next year there is a draft and these teams that swing and trade picks and go crazy this offseason will be stuck and we can work that draft in a more normal offseason 

A 2 and 4? My lord no way in hell am I doing that for Mariota. I was thinking 4th or 5th or something. But a 2nd for Mariota? Lmao. Let somebody else have him. Dude sucks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

A 2 and 4? My lord no way in hell am I doing that for Mariota. I was thinking 4th or 5th or something. But a 2nd for Mariota? Lmao. Let somebody else have him. Dude sucks. 

The Office Reaction GIF

Trading for Mariota seems like the absolute worst option for this team. I’m not in love with the thought of signing any of these guys but I’d much rather sign Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston then to send any draft pick to the Raiders for Mariota who’s an average starter at best, more good back up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I have to say that’s encouraging, but picking out a handful of plays over several years of Mariota being an consistent QB from inside the pocket is fool’s gold. We can develop the potential in a FA like the others guys I’ve mentioned or in the guy we just signed, Heinicke. Mariota & Heinike are the same age.

I also hate the idea of having to trade for him or any QB who isn’t a bonafide great starter, I wouldn’t have even traded for the guy in front of Mariota, Carr, who’s basically Kirk Cousins or a peg worse. If he were a FA, that’d be different, I’d lump him in with Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston as FA options for us, but trading for a meh QB makes zero sense to me.

Mariota’s salary is $11.35 mil. They want to trade him because they don’t want to pay that contract. If Washington really wants him - which I still don’t get - just wait until he’s cut bc it’s inevitable with that salary as a back up.

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The Office Reaction GIF

Trading for Mariota seems like the absolute worst option for this team. I’m not in love with the thought of signing any of these guys but I’d much rather sign Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston then to send any draft pick to the Raiders for Mariota who’s an average starter at best, more good back up.

I would much rather sign Trubisky. I’d hate to give up picks for Mariota. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather not trade one of our top 5 players for Watson or Wilson but I’m open to it depending on what else we’d have to throw in after that, at some point I’d walk away. For example, if we are trading one of our top 5 young players, I’m considering them worth one of those 1sts. 

I’m a no on Mariota. I’m not trading for another teams back up who doesn’t move the needle for us, he keeps us in no man’s land/average & we have to give up draft assets for him?  Mariota just isn’t that good, he’s not worth it and I think he’s reached his ceiling as a player. I’d much rather sign Newton, Winston Tyrod  or Trubisky in FA rather than trade for a Mariota who isn’t better than them. I can’t stress enough how much it doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m a yes on Darnold for a 3rd. Darnold hasn’t reached his ceiling yet as a player, that’s why in interested. Darnold has franchise QB skills, he just needs coached better and better players around him. Darnold to Terry, whoever we add as our #2/Cam Sims, Logan Thomas, Gibby & Mickissic could become a really a good passing offense for us. 

I don't love Mariota either but do think he'd be a great fit in the offense can move in the backfield smart and isn't a bad passer just doesn't have elite arm. I think he'd have a lower floor the Netwon or Trubisky,the ceiling might not be as high though

33 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would much rather sign Trubisky. I’d hate to give up picks for Mariota. 

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

And you know I’m no Trubisky guy like you’ve always been since his draft, but Trubisky is younger and has more upside than Mariota - that’s why I want Darnold over Mariota too. Plus, we wouldn’t have to trade for Trubisky or any FA QB.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't love Mariota either but do think he'd be a great fit in the offense can move in the backfield smart and isn't a bad passer just doesn't have elite arm. I think he'd have a lower floor the Netwon or Trubisky,the ceiling might not be as high though

Yes, but weighing signing Newton/Trubisky/Tyrod/Winston as a FA vs Mariota’s $11.35 salary for this year and having to trade a mid round pick for him or multiple picks when they’re all comparable players clearly favors just signing one of the FA QBs to compete w/ Heinicke and whoever else is on our roster this year.

I feel like people (not just here, everywhere) are getting caught in the Stafford trap a little. Basing trade returns on what DET got in that deal is destined for problems, because DET got a big part of that compensation for taking on Goff’s undesirable contract. 

If Marcus Mariota was a FA, I wouldn’t really be a fan of signing him for 1/$10M. I wouldn’t really see the point — how much better are we thinking he’d be than the winner of the current competition (Smith or Allen or Heinicke)? And if he came here and played very well next season, where’s the upside for us? We then get the choice of franchising him or letting him hit the market. 

But even if I would say what the hell, sign Marcus Mariota for 1/$10M if you can’t come up with anything else — the idea of trading something valuable (or worse, very valuable) for him on that contract is kinda staggering to me. 

He did look pretty good in a actual NFL offense with actual coaching last year maybe a small sample size I just shot that comp out due to QB’s being highly over valued in the net return they generally get I def went high I probably wouldn’t offer that either but I do like the player for this team but I get not wanting to part ways with the picks

11 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He did look pretty good in a actual NFL offense with actual coaching last year maybe a small sample size I just shot that comp out due to QB’s being highly over valued in the net return they generally get I def went high I probably wouldn’t offer that either but I do like the player for this team but I get not wanting to part ways with the picks

Your definition of petty good is different than mine. Serviceable is what Mariota is & what he was in spot duty did the Raiders & as a starter for the Titans. We currently have serviceable w/ Heinicke who has some upside, we don’t have to trade for Mariota. Also, recent history Heinicke was better, he threw the ball well vs a good defense in the playoffs. I can’t even say that Mariota is an upgrade over Heinicke. I’d much rather re-sign Allen for $800k than give up a draft pick & pay Mariota $11.35 million next year too. Allen & Mariota are comparable to me. 

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

A 2 and a 4 I think would be fair. It’s funny on the pod I’ve kept marrying Mariota here because of scheme fit and this is a very logical and calculated move I think the comp I mentioned is fair and maybe you can do it for less maybe who knows. I actually love this move. You can draft Mond if he becomes a value at some point in the draft if it doesn’t pan out next year there is a draft and these teams that swing and trade picks and go crazy this offseason will be stuck and we can work that draft in a more normal offseason 

A 2 and 4 would make me unhappy.  I would trade just the 4th, a 3rd tops.  He is a backup qb who is only on a one year contract.  

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

A 2 and 4 would make me unhappy.  I would trade just the 4th, a 3rd tops.  He is a backup qb who is only on a one year contract.  

He’s not even worth that contract though. I wouldn’t even want to give Mariota a $11.35 mil contract if he were a FA. I don’t get it. It’s sad, really sad, the idea of trading for Mariota makes this franchise look desperate. The Raiders just want to trade him bc they don’t want to have to pay that $11.35m contract. If we want him, we should wait until the Raiders cut him. I don’t know why anyone would want Mariota on that contract.

This is a crazy year for quarterback movement. If we end up with Mariota it would feel like we’d be the ones left without a chair when the music stops. I mean, Ryan Tannehill replaced Mariota and brought Tennessee to another level, and I’m no Tannehill fan. Mariota is a QB2, spot start guy at best. They hopefully already have that in Heineke. That said, I wouldn’t give up one first, let alone multiple for Watson. This team has more building to do and Watson wants a team ready to win now. We might be a year away from that. 
This all brings me back to taking a chance on Darnold. When you balance out the cost with the talent with the contract situation it can be something that comes up aces or something we’d be able to get out of in a year. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s not even worth that contract though. I wouldn’t even want to give Mariota a $11.35 mil contract if he were a FA. I don’t get it. It’s sad, really sad, the idea of trading for Mariota makes this franchise look desperate. The Raiders just want to trade him bc they don’t want to have to pay that $11.35m contract. If we want him, we should wait until the Raiders cut him. I don’t know why anyone would want Mariota on that contract.

I don't agree.  Look at it this way, it would still be less than the cap savings from cutting Alex Smith and less than half what we would pay Smith if he stayed.  QBs are expensive.  He has played 60 some games and is still young.  He might be a backup, but he is someone who can hold the mantle if necessary.  I just don't want to give up major draft capital.