2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't agree.  Look at it this way, it would still be less than the cap savings from cutting Alex Smith and less than half what we would pay Smith if he stayed.  QBs are expensive.  He has played 60 some games and is still young.  He might be a backup, but he is someone who can hold the mantle if necessary.  I just don't want to give up major draft capital.

I actually think theres a lot of untapped play from this guy. They basically just let him play Oregon one read in Tennessee. He looked good in his game last year with Vagas and honestly if you trade a mid rounder and he shines great. If he doesn’t then it’s a lot less costly then trading multiple picks for a guy that could come and get hurt and leave us in a bad spot. It allows you to keep building the roster and maybe we get lucky in the draft and if that happens then your not married to the guy in that scenario next year or beyond

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't agree.  Look at it this way, it would still be less than the cap savings from cutting Alex Smith and less than half what we would pay Smith if he stayed.  QBs are expensive.  He has played 60 some games and is still young.  He might be a backup, but he is someone who can hold the mantle if necessary.  I just don't want to give up major draft capital.

I get the point regarding the cap & Alex Smith etc, but I think we can do better at QB. Mariota hasn’t even shown he can be as consistent as Alex was last year as a QB before Alex got the bone bruise on his leg in the San Fran game. I’m sorry, I’m not a Mariota believer. I don’t see the potential for him to be considered a top 10 starter ever. I don’t think he moves the needle. I don’t even think his potential is Kirk Cousins good. 

The goal of the Washington front office/Rivera should not be to find a QB to keep us mediocre as we are now but to invest in a QB either through the draft, in free agency who has potential still to be - top 10 QB or is say that Dak becomes available,  for a young QB like Darnold with top 10 potential as a passer or through a blockbuster trade to get Watson or Wilson.

Trading for a QB who I’m not even sold is better than Heinicke or Kyle Allen to just stay mediocre should not be the this teams goal. Trading for Mariota is the absolute worst option that Washington has available to them right now.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I actually think theres a lot of untapped play from this guy. They basically just let him play Oregon one read in Tennessee. He looked good in his game last year with Vagas and honestly if you trade a mid rounder and he shines great. If he doesn’t then it’s a lot less costly then trading multiple picks for a guy that could come and get hurt and leave us in a bad spot. It allows you to keep building the roster and maybe we get lucky in the draft and if that happens then your not married to the guy in that scenario next year or beyond

Brother! You know you and I agree on a lot but don’t call a mediocre performance by Mariota last year “Good!” Come on man! Please don’t settle for mediocrity & try to twist that into something better. Sure Mariota could become a top 15 starter - as could Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston - but we don’t have to trade a mid round pick or more for those FA QBs and all of them keep us as mediocre, so what do any of them really get us?

Kyle Allen & Heinicke showed more than Mariota last year as starters. Here’s Mariota’s stat line from the Raiders week 17 loss to the Chargers in which Mariota started:

61%, 226 yds, 1 TD & 1 int

In what world is that good? That’s barely mediocre. Keeping us mediocre is not good enough if we ever want to be a team who will be a Super Bowl contender again.

We already have mediocre options at QB on our roster with potential to be more like Heinicke & we could re-sign Kyle Allen who will cost $10.5 million less next year than Mariota if we re-sign Kyle. Kyle will gives us similar play on the field to Mariota in terms of athleticism plus Kyle is younger, has a stronger arm, you don’t have to trade for Kyle and he allows us to have $10.5 million more in cap space next year to sign one or two free agents to make the team better around the QB.

Trading for Mariota is the absolute worst option at QB for Washington right now.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Did they only “let” him play that style — or was he only able to play that style? I mean, he had every opportunity to be the guy, even under a well-regarded OC like Arthur Smith in 2019, and he just couldn’t ever get there. They were 2-4 when they benched him that year, and Tannehill coming in to replace him was the major spark that led them to the 9-4 finish (and damn near to the Super Bowl). 

I watched the game against the Chargers, he played very well when he came in (although he did throw what should have been a game-ending pick around the 2-minute warning). But how many times do we say that about a guy who comes in as a backup or spot starter that the defense wasn’t prepared to game plan for? You come in with a scheme designed to stop Derek Carr, and then Mariota comes in — you’re not going to have the right stuff in place. So how much can we really take from that performance? If he’d gotten the chance to start a couple more games, perhaps we could have more of a gauge on whether he could sustain that, but right now it’s just pure guesswork. 

If the best they can do is Mariota for a 4th (and a really re-worked contract to give us some upside if it works out), then I’ll be pretty disappointed. It won’t be the end of the world, but it’ll be the type of low-risk, likely low-reward move that’s become their staple in recent years. Unwilling to make a big move, proceeding with what appears to be just the goal of staying decent. They’d have a fair shot at winning 7-9 games again, but the likelihood of anything beyond that would be almost nil. 

• Like 1

@e16bball Do you honestly think that Mariota would give us more than the FAs that are available like Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston, or even Kyle Allen/Heinicke/Alex Smith? 

Personally I don’t. He’s not an upgrade over what we currently have & considering we’d had to trade a mid round pick for him & the cost of his contract it makes it an even bigger no for me.

If we’re going to trade a mid round pick on a reclamation project it should be Darnold who will only be 24 on June 5th - Mariota will be 28 in October. Darnold still has top 5 potential bc of his willingness to push the ball downfield, his physical gifts & strong arm. 

I can’t say that trading for Mariota is the end of the world but I do think it’s our worst option and will just keep us mediocre for as long as he’s our starter. 

Edited by turtle28

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball Do you honestly think that Mariota would give us more than the FAs that are available like Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston, or even Kyle Allen/Heinicke/Alex Smith? 

Personally I don’t. He’s not an upgrade over what we currently have & considering we’d had to trade a mid round pick for him & the cost of his contract it makes it an even bigger no for me.

If we’re going to trade a mid round pick on a reclamation project it should be Darnold who will only be 24 on June 5th - Mariota will be 28 in October. Darnold still has top 5 potential bc of his willingness to push the ball downfield, his physical gifts & strong arm. 

I can’t say that trading for Mariota is the end of the world but I do think it’s our worst option and will just keep us mediocre for as long as he’s our starter. 

Signing Jameis Winston and Chris Godwin as a pair is my reclamation project hope. But I know I am alone in this wish. I am also biased as an FSU fan. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 7:34 AM, turtle28 said:

I get the point regarding the cap & Alex Smith etc, but I think we can do better at QB. Mariota hasn’t even shown he can be as consistent as Alex was last year as a QB before Alex got the bone bruise on his leg in the San Fran game. I’m sorry, I’m not a Mariota believer. I don’t see the potential for him to be considered a top 10 starter ever. I don’t think he moves the needle. I don’t even think his potential is Kirk Cousins good. 

The goal of the Washington front office/Rivera should not be to find a QB to keep us mediocre as we are now but to invest in a QB either through the draft, in free agency who has potential still to be - top 10 QB or is say that Dak becomes available,  for a young QB like Darnold with top 10 potential as a passer or through a blockbuster trade to get Watson or Wilson.

Trading for a QB who I’m not even sold is better than Heinicke or Kyle Allen to just stay mediocre should not be the this teams goal. Trading for Mariota is the absolute worst option that Washington has available to them right now.

There is a difference between trading a high pick and trading something like a 4th rounder.  We traded for Kyle Allen remember.

I don't think we can discuss qb rationally because you still think Alex Smith is a good qb.  You even use the word consistent.  We are going to have to agree that we fundamentally aren't on the same page :)

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

There is a difference between trading a high pick and trading something like a 4th rounder.  We traded for Kyle Allen remember.

I don't think we can discuss qb rationally because you still think Alex Smith is a good qb.  You even use the word consistent.  We are going to have to agree that we fundamentally aren't on the same page :)

It’s obvious that Alex Smith isn’t as good as he used to be bc of the injury - I’m sorry if you got the impression that I think that bc I don’t. I love Alex for the intangibles he brings to this young team which teammates said was immeasurable Last year - especially our young WRs, Terry, the Sims twins & Wright.

Even with the lack of mobility Alex has now, he showed he could be as productive as what Mariota has shown recently whether in Tenn or his game last year vs the Chargers. As I say repeatedly, for some reason Alex almost always keeps his team In agents and in a position to win in the regular season when he starts, I can’t explain it but it’s true.

It’s usually not pretty, but his ball control generally works in the regular season and gives his teams the best chance to win. I know you don’t like it bc it’s also true as you said that we can do better for our future than Alex & we can do better as far a passer, but I don’t think we can do better than Alex in leadership, inspiration and being a coach on the field for our WRs & Logan.

Yes, we already traded a 5th last year for Kyle Allen and I’d rather not trade another mid round pick for a mediocre QB bc again we can’t sign one w/o trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. 

I think re-signing Kyle Allen for $800,000 is a better move for this team this year than trading a 3rd or 4th for Mariota & having to pay him $11.3 mil. We could use that $10.5 million on signing a FA or two to strengthen our FS position, LB corps, LT or WR. That makes much more sense to me. 

If they re-signed Kyle and kept Alex on a restructured contract or preferably sign a cheaper FA like Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod or Winston to compete w/ Heinicke & Kyle Allen for the starting job. And, we can still trade up w/ the Lions if they’ll do it for a QB if one falls in the draft. If that happens, then the vet FA we sign, Heinicke & Kyle Allen will be competing for the starting QB job this year and whoever is 3rd of the 3 will be cut bc we’d definitely be keeping the top 10 rookie and have him sit for a year.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Signing Jameis Winston and Chris Godwin as a pair is my reclamation project hope. But I know I am alone in this wish. I am also biased as an FSU fan. 

I can dig it! I don’t think Rivera will want to deal with Winston’s immaturity especially after the Haskins fiasco, but I’d do it. I definitely want Godwin!

Still think my biggest Free agent wish is Malik Hooker Think his ball hawking in back end if healthy would be a near perfect fit with out Pass rush something the Colts lacked when he was healthy.

There's a few WRs I love but that all depends on who the QB ends up being as most of the top tier are different types of WRs.

Don't love any of the QBs on the Free agent market and don't think Henry is going to be a FA so TE isn't as big of a need with Thomas showing out.

Devondre Campbell is a guy I really like esp if its at the 4-5 Mil 1 year deal the Cards got him for as think his size and coverage underneath would also help the defense.

I'm a huge Williams Jackson fan but think Darby would be cheaper and fits the system a little better then Jackson even though I think Jackson is the better player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Still think my biggest Free agent wish is Malik Hooker Think his ball hawking in back end if healthy would be a near perfect fit with out Pass rush something the Colts lacked when he was healthy.

There's a few WRs I love but that all depends on who the QB ends up being as most of the top tier are different types of WRs.

Don't love any of the QBs on the Free agent market and don't think Henry is going to be a FA so TE isn't as big of a need with Thomas showing out.

Devondre Campbell is a guy I really like esp if its at the 4-5 Mil 1 year deal the Cards got him for as think his size and coverage underneath would also help the defense.

I'm a huge Williams Jackson fan but think Darby would be cheaper and fits the system a little better then Jackson even though I think Jackson is the better player.

I’m with you on Hooker, not that he’s a guy I think we have to have but that if healthy he’s going to be a steal bc he’s not going to be getting a big contract. I think it’s gonna be a prove it type of deal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Love this! I’ve loved Hooker since college & it’s not just bc I’m an Ohio State fan. He has special skills as a ball hawk/center field FS with great instincts that I love to see in FSs. I think a move from turf to grass will help him w/ his injury issues also. I’d love to get Hooker on a 1-year prove it deal then move Collins to WLB & have Hooker & Curl as our starting safeties w/ Everett & Reaves as our back ups.

I don’t live the FA options at QB either but if they’re moving on from Alex Smith I think that’s better than trading away picks for Carr or a mid round pick for Mariota.

I love the idea of signing De’Vondre Campbell and either having him start at MLB or moving Holcomb to MLB (preferably) w/ Campbell starting at SLB & Collins at WLB. 

I’d definitely re-sign Darby, that’s a no brained for me. I wouldn’t mess w/ our starting corners from last year.

I really want Allen Robinson or JuJu. I don’t really care that most don’t want Juju but I like the guy. He’s tough and plays hard. I’d like to go all in this off-season. Sounds silly but that’s what I’d like to do. Not a classic Snyder go all in but more so we identify what we want and we make it happen. I don’t want a Bruce Allen overpay for scrubs off-season either. Allen Robinson is obviously the prize but I’d like to see a trade-up for Fields as well if feasible. 

My ideal off-season would be Allen Robinson, Christian Kirksey, either JOK at 19 or trade up for Fields. Not asking for much really. Maybe Ertz if he’s released but I’d like to see what we have in Moss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I really want Allen Robinson or JuJu. I don’t really care that most don’t want Juju but I like the guy. He’s tough and plays hard. I’d like to go all in this off-season. Sounds silly but that’s what I’d like to do. Not a classic Snyder go all in but more so we identify what we want and we make it happen. I don’t want a Bruce Allen overpay for scrubs off-season either. Allen Robinson is obviously the prize but I’d like to see a trade-up for Fields as well if feasible. 

My ideal off-season would be Allen Robinson, Christian Kirksey, either JOK at 19 or trade up for Fields. Not asking for much really. Maybe Ertz if he’s released but I’d like to see what we have in Moss. 

I like that. I like how Juju finished the year, he struggled for a while w/ just catching short passes w/ no yac as if he was a QB but he finished the year strong. Getting Robinson would be awesome, I just don’t see why he’d come here unless we made him the highest paid Wr in NFL history given our QB situation & also given that he’s never played w/ a good QB yet & he may take take less $ for example to go to a team that has a franchise QB.