2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I like that. I like how Juju finished the year, he struggled for a while w/ just catching short passes w/ no yac as if he was a QB but he finished the year strong. Getting Robinson would be awesome, I just don’t see why he’d come here unless we made him the highest paid Wr in NFL history given our QB situation & also given that he’s never played w/ a good QB yet & he may take take less $ for example to go to a team that has a franchise QB.

I am sure a couple of these WRs will be focused on the QB issue, but in the end money talks and there are more than a couple high end WRs so they aren't all going to teams with top qbs.  

Even looking at Godwin.  He probably would love to stay with Tampa, but at the same time Brady isn't going to be there long term and when he leaves they will be in cap hell.

Edited by offbyone

14 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am sure a couple of these WRs will be focused on the QB issue, but in the end money talks and there are more than a couple high end WRs so they aren't all going to teams with top qbs.  

Even looking at Godwin.  He probably would love to stay with Tampa, but at the same time Brady isn't going to be there long term and when he leaves they will be in cap hell.

Godwin is my #1 bc of age, versatility and I don’t think he’ll command the contract that Robinson, Golladay & Juju will.

Godwin and Terry compare pretty well together as not like a dominant #1 but a 1 b type and to have 2 of those and then to trade to bring Jamison Crowder back & then restructure his contract to lower his $11.4 m cap hit would be awesome. 

In the end we could be paying $12 million next year for both Godwin & Crowder combined.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:47 PM, offbyone said:

I agree with you on this. The truth is, it’s kind of a fallacy to suggest that these guys need top QBs to put up numbers or be successful. Everyone needs a good QB to win consistently, so that’s always a related issue — but a top WR’s production is not extraordinarily dependent on high-level QB play. 

Look at Godwin, as just one example. He had a better season, in every respect except team success, in 2019 with Jameis than in 2020 with TB12. Pretty much across the board — more targeted, more production from his targets, more personal accolades, etc. Allen Robinson has never played with a good QB, so he surely understands that he can put up great numbers with damn near anyone throwing him the ball. Kenny Golladay’s best season was in 2019, when Stafford missed half the year. He put up solid production with David F. Blough and Jeff F. Driskel. 

Obviously, all things being equal, I’m sure FA receivers would prefer to land with a star QB. But all things aren’t equal — most of the teams with good QBs + a need at WR are pressed for cap space. The Ravens might be a factor, obviously, maybe the Cardinals, but there aren’t a lot of teams who can offer everything. I would think money and opportunity would substantially outweigh QB play in a FA WR’s decision process. 

• Like 1

I actually think the presence of McLaurin could be as much of a deterrent to these top FA WRs as the absence of a QB. We already have an X receiver, and he’s good and he’s young. If one of these guys comes to Washington, is he running the risk of being labeled a WR2 (or at least a WR1B) if Terry’s star, and role in the offense, eclipses his?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I actually think the presence of McLaurin could be as much of a deterrent to these top FA WRs as the absence of a QB. We already have an X receiver, and he’s good and he’s young. If one of these guys comes to Washington, is he running the risk of being labeled a WR2 (or at least a WR1B) if Terry’s star, and role in the offense, eclipses his?

I know the majority of top WR are prima donnas that’s why you need to find one that’s not a head case. Need to find one that has the mental stability like Terry. 

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think the big question is how many of these WRs get tagged and traded.  It is a rare year where this is a reasonable option because the franchise tag went down this year.  

Yeah, which is another reason why I think Godwin will be available and probably not Golloday, and maybe not Robinson although I think the Bears are over the cap so they may not be able to even use the tag. 

On 2/17/2021 at 3:54 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know the majority of top WR are prima donnas that’s why you need to find one that’s not a head case. Need to find one that has the mental stability like Terry. 

That’s why the daft bc more of a key. Can’t be too much of a diva on a rookie contract anymore or you’ll be RG3’d & Haskins’d