2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If they don’t want to pay to keep Brandon, they should tag & trade him even if that’s just for a 2nd round pick, like the last FO should’ve done with Cousins. 

@lavar703 was right in that for two years he said they should tag and trade Cousins. If Dan/Brice at some that at worst we wouldn’t gotten a 2nd round pick back for him from Arizona, Minny, San Fran, the NYJ etc back in 2017.  

Apparently people in the know have said Kyle Shanahan was willing to part with the second pick in the draft for Cousins. Mike Jones said it and Jay Gruden said teams were offering a ton and Bruce wouldn’t trade him. Cooley still talks to Kyle and said yes, the second pick would’ve gone to Washington for Cousins. It’s pretty devastating to find that out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure a guard has ever been franchised and traded at all, though I’m looking into it now. 

Like Kirk Cousins, WFT seems determined to be the first to foolishly do things that reset the market value.  

We need to move on from Scherff.  If they sign him to a big contract and he gets hurt it is our own fault.  Statistically speaking he will likely get hurt a bunch more.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Apparently people in the know have said Kyle Shanahan was willing to part with the second pick in the draft for Cousins. Mike Jones said it and Jay Gruden said teams were offering a ton and Bruce wouldn’t trade him. Cooley still talks to Kyle and said yes, the second pick would’ve gone to Washington for Cousins. It’s pretty devastating to find that out. 

Exactly, especially because they had no intentions of giving him a contract like the Vikings did. They were straddling the fence like w/ Trent Williams and hoping both would cave and just accept their terms and in the end we got crap in return for two pro bowl players.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly, especially because they had no intentions of giving him a contract like the Vikings did. They were straddling the fence like w/ Trent Williams and hoping both would cave and just accept their terms and in the end we got crap in return for two pro bowl players.

We’re headed for 3 of those in 5 years if they don’t come up with a long-term solution on Scherff in the next few months. 

Honestly, I can see the logic either way. I’m somehow far less concerned about hoarding cap space than most, it seems, but I recognize there’s obviously tremendous risk in giving a big long-term deal to a guy with this sort of injury history.

At the same time, he’s one of our best players, and an already mediocre OL takes a big hit if we remove him from the RG spot permanently. We’re paying hardly anyone at this point, and our two highest-paid guys (Smith and Collins) seem very likely to be off the books in the next year or so, barring a miracle turnaround. We will be overflowing with cap space next season, even if we give out some major coin this offseason. 

So I can see it both ways. I have been advocating for them to trade him for a while, so we could get commensurate value back instead of being stuck in this position where we’re forced to either pay more than we want or let him walk for little in return. But now we’re stuck and we have to choose from those two flawed options. 

In the end, I think the kicker for me is that I’m more convinced than ever that high-level OL play is the engine that makes offenses run, especially ones without elite QBs. I’d rather spend too much on the OL than too little.

• Like 2

Haven’t seen this posted yet. Seemed relevant to the FA discussion. 

A little disappointing. I was expecting to be able to roll over at least $20M, and they have us just under $16M. We’re still well above the league average of $9.8M, though, so our competitive advantage with regard to cap space should be intact over much of the league. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, e16bball said:

So I can see it both ways. I have been advocating for them to trade him for a while, so we could get commensurate value back instead of being stuck in this position where we’re forced to either pay more than we want or let him walk for little in return. But now we’re stuck and we have to choose from those two flawed options. 

In the end, I think the kicker for me is that I’m more convinced than ever that high-level OL play is the engine that makes offenses run, especially ones without elite QBs. I’d rather spend too much on the OL than too little.

Especially when they have the cap space right now. Front load the contract to use that space, and if his injury history catches up to him, you get rid of him in a couple of years for a minor hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Especially when they have the cap space right now. Front load the contract to use that space, and if his injury history catches up to him, you get rid of him in a couple of years for a minor hit.

I forget who was saying that we should do that a while back. It may have been @offbyone the only reason I pause with that for this this season  is because the cap shrank this year. Hopefully this season we’re more past COVID and the cap grows again for the 2022 FA period.

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Depends on the price and length. I like Jayon Brown more if he becomes a free agent, don’t know what he will cost though

The only issue I have with signing Van Noy is his age, he’ll be 30 on March 26th.

If we signed him he’d be our starting SLB and then we can slide Holcomb over to play MLB.

If we sign Jayon Brown, he’d be our WLB or we can try Landon Collins there while re-signing KPL on the cheap and we have Khaleke Hudson and JHC returning to compete for the starting WLB as well.

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Minny just released Kyle Rudolph

I’d take a flier on Rudolph, assuming he’d come cheap. He’s injured a bunch, but in a timeshare with Logan it might not be a bad idea to kick the can on spending a high pick on a TE for a year or 2. 
As for Van Noy, I’m just not feeling it. Rivera usually likes big time athletic ability (Davis, Kuechly) in his LBs.  Van Noy is more of a versitile, “put in a shift” kinda cat.