2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Minny just released Kyle Rudolph

Rudolph is a reliable player who has shined at times when they needed him to.  If he is reasonable that covers TE between him and Thomas.  It would be a great 1-2 punch.  Neither is elite, but both are decent. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, e16bball said:

We’re headed for 3 of those in 5 years if they don’t come up with a long-term solution on Scherff in the next few months. 

Honestly, I can see the logic either way. I’m somehow far less concerned about hoarding cap space than most, it seems, but I recognize there’s obviously tremendous risk in giving a big long-term deal to a guy with this sort of injury history.

At the same time, he’s one of our best players, and an already mediocre OL takes a big hit if we remove him from the RG spot permanently. We’re paying hardly anyone at this point, and our two highest-paid guys (Smith and Collins) seem very likely to be off the books in the next year or so, barring a miracle turnaround. We will be overflowing with cap space next season, even if we give out some major coin this offseason. 

So I can see it both ways. I have been advocating for them to trade him for a while, so we could get commensurate value back instead of being stuck in this position where we’re forced to either pay more than we want or let him walk for little in return. But now we’re stuck and we have to choose from those two flawed options. 

In the end, I think the kicker for me is that I’m more convinced than ever that high-level OL play is the engine that makes offenses run, especially ones without elite QBs. I’d rather spend too much on the OL than too little.

Our 1991 team proved that to me. Have been an advocate ever since

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So your solution is to sign someone who was cut for not being worth the price. I dunno, we have cap now. I’d probably just keep Scherff

That was not originally my solution, but we backed ourselves into a corner with the franchise tag and at the same time he again proved that he can not avoid the injury bug.

It isn't just his lack of availability.  He might be available 75% of the time but Scherff walks out on the field unhealthy and is not nearly as effective 50% of the time.  You can't pay premium money for a player that only gives you premium play less than half the time.

Gabe Jackson is a solid player who will secure the position at half the price.  You use the other half to sign a premium player like a WR and draft a guard for the future.  Alternatively, you draft a guard high and just move on with a drafted player.  

On 3/2/2021 at 9:38 PM, offbyone said:

Rudolph is a reliable player who has shined at times when they needed him to.  If he is reasonable that covers TE between him and Thomas.  It would be a great 1-2 punch.  Neither is elite, but both are decent. 

The best thing about Rudolph is his size in the red zone. He’s not the athlete that Thomas is but he’s huge & can box out defenders. Also, he’s a great run blocker which is something we need at TE. I like how Thomas improved in run blocking & pass blocking as the season went on, but Rudolph is an elite blocker as a TE.

We need to re-sign Scherff. Before this last season I was open to the idea of letting him walk and re-signing Flowers, but we lost Flowers. So, losing Flowers & Scherff as guards in back to back years will be awful for our OL. We need to re-sign Scherff, draft another guard to develop & continue to develop Charles as well. I’m not open to the idea of not re-signing Scherff anymore. 

We just saved more cap space by releasing Alex. There’s just no good reason at all not to re-sign Scherff or Darby and extending some other players like Jon Allen.

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We need to re-sign Scherff. Before this last season I was open to the idea of letting him walk and re-signing Flowers, but we lost Flowers. So, losing Flowers & Scherff as guards in back to back years will be awful for our OL. We need to re-sign Scherff, draft another guard to develop & continue to develop Charles as well. I’m not open to the idea of not re-signing Scherff anymore. 

We just saved more cap space by releasing Alex. There’s just no good reason at all not to re-sign Scherff or Darby and extending some other players like Jon Allen.

I don't want to let Scherff walk but if he does and get 15 mil or something huge I won't be to upset. Wes Schweitzer played good enough you didn't really notice he was gone when he was injured this year at RG, and there are some other guards that if you could get it that could be reliable guard for us as well so don't think losing him would be the biggest setback

33 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't want to let Scherff walk but if he does and get 15 mil or something huge I won't be to upset. Wes Schweitzer played good enough you didn't really notice he was gone when he was injured this year at RG, and there are some other guards that if you could get it that could be reliable guard for us as well so don't think losing him would be the biggest setback

We certainly noticed when we missed Scherff last year. We were awful at running the ball when Scherff missed time vs Cleveland, Baltimore & the Rams. We got better at running the ball when Scherff returned and Schweitzer took over at LG. That’s when our running game got better along with Lucas taking over for Christian at LT.

The only time I remember our offense not really missing Scherff when he was injured was back in 2017 when we had Kirk still but even then I still think we missed him some. 

It’s true we could get another good guard in FA and probably not miss Scherff that much, but I still think we’ll miss him more than people realize.

Scherff was also on IR vs Houston when Alex broke his leg in 2018 and I can’t remember the player who missed the block but I believe one of them was the player who took over for Scherff & JJ Watt beat to get pressure on Alex.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We certainly noticed when we missed Scherff last year. We were awful at running the ball when Scherff missed time vs Cleveland, Baltimore & the Rams. We got better at running the ball when Scherff returned and Schweitzer took over at LG. That’s when our running game got better along with Lucas taking over for Christian at LT.

The only time I remember our offense not really missing Scherff when he was injured was back in 2017 when we had Kirk still but even then I still think we missed him some. 

It’s true we could get another good guard in FA and probably not miss Scherff that much, but I still think we’ll miss him more than people realize.

Scherff was also on IR vs Houston when Alex broke his leg in 2018 and I can’t remember the player who missed the block but I believe one of them was the player who took over for Scherff & JJ Watt beat to get pressure on Alex.

we didn't miss him at RG them games it was no blocking on other side from Christin and Martin,and honestly the guard market is loading hope with more news coming out 

Guard is a spot where teams aren't spending a lot in a down cap year I'm not saying don't pay Scherff but if is price is to high guard isn't a spot I'd overpay on the top end esp this offseason

23 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

we didn't miss him at RG them games it was no blocking on other side from Christin and Martin,and honestly the guard market is loading hope with more news coming out 

Guard is a spot where teams aren't spending a lot in a down cap year I'm not saying don't pay Scherff but if is price is to high guard isn't a spot I'd overpay on the top end esp this offseason

Of course we missed him! If Scherff was there, Schweitzer could’ve been started over Wes Martin, which would’ve made our entire OL better. When you lose you’re best OL, it affects your entire OL so yeah, you miss him.

I just look at our team right now, and if we’re not going to pay to keep our own drafted & developed talent right now what are we going to spend it on?

It makes sense to re-sign Scherff and have his cap hit be $10 mil or lower for 2021 and it will go up in coming years when the cap goes up.

Then, after you do that you build your free agency plan after that on who you want to add.

Notice in that tweet that Zeitler & Norwell are also mentioned to generate significant interest should they be released. So, even though the Giants & Jags may cut them, that doesn’t mean they won’t go on to sign big FA contracts with another team after they’re released.

Edited by turtle28