2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

I was about to say it’s not like we draft all pro players every year I think this is a guy you sign. I’d also try to see what type of player I could maybe move Jon Allen for. It’s not the money I’m okay with getting a Vet who will need paid but I think you could get a really good CB or who knows and you allow yourself to set up to pay Payne and Sweat and Chase while adding a stud DB I think that would be a huge forward thinking type move we aren’t accustomed too here but I think that would really set us up. Yes losing Allen sucks but he’s the one with injury history and he’s the 4th best talent on the DL so he’s the one I try to sell high because he had great numbers last year I think you could really get a heck of a return right now and I think this would be a smart move as well

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We will. Because his value is Jack!!!

Interesting statistic here. There is only one guy in NFL history who has been as bad (league adjusted passer rating lower than 85) as Darnold in a relatively significant sample (600+ passes) over the course of his first 3 seasons and who subsequently went on to become a quality long-term NFL starter. 

We just released him today.

Just now, e16bball said:

Interesting statistic here. There is only one guy in NFL history who has been as bad (league adjusted passer rating lower than 85) as Darnold in a relatively significant sample (600+ passes) over the course of his first 3 seasons and who subsequently went on to become a quality long-term NFL starter. 

We just released him today.

I guess, depending on how you define “quality long-term NFL starter,” you could also include Vinny Testaverde and Kerry Collins in that group. But I don’t think I define them that way, and anyway it would have made my previous post way less punchy 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess, depending on how you define “quality long-term NFL starter,” you could also include Vinny Testaverde and Kerry Collins in that group. But I don’t think I define them that way, and anyway it would have made my previous post way less punchy 😂

Alex struggled on less talented teams with you can say whatever about coaching as well but I def think Darnold will play better here. But I wasn’t that high on him coming out and he’s never given me a reason to change that stance. But he has flashed a blip here and there and he can improve if he ever gets comfortable in a pocket. I mean if your buying low then buy. But I’m scared we’re going to give up a quality pick. I don’t want to pay a premium unless we’re using a higher pick in the draft. But who knows things will start moving soon and once FA starts and we see what they do I think we will get a better idea of what their draft strategies would be. I have no problem letting Darnold compete. But if we got him I’d hope we draft Mond as well. I just feel like even if it isn’t Mond this is the class a mid round guy just hits with the right team. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, ripsean21 said:

I was about to say it’s not like we draft all pro players every year I think this is a guy you sign. I’d also try to see what type of player I could maybe move Jon Allen for. It’s not the money I’m okay with getting a Vet who will need paid but I think you could get a really good CB or who knows and you allow yourself to set up to pay Payne and Sweat and Chase while adding a stud DB I think that would be a huge forward thinking type move we aren’t accustomed too here but I think that would really set us up. Yes losing Allen sucks but he’s the one with injury history and he’s the 4th best talent on the DL so he’s the one I try to sell high because he had great numbers last year I think you could really get a heck of a return right now and I think this would be a smart move as well

Umm yeah, so we could just re-sign Darby. Both sides have interest, he and the rest of the young players in the secondary developed good chemistry last year and I’d rather see them all develop together than to bring in an unknown different CB while losing our best all around DT & leader on our D.

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So basically anyone of value is going to be franchise tagged lol

Yep, happens almost every year. Us vets in the game seem to always realize this rather early while younger fans are our there saying we’ll get this guy and that guy etc etc while ignoring that most teams will franchise their best FAs if they can’t re-sign them. 

I do think we’ll get a few good FAs. At least one upgrade at LB, WR and maybe something else but I don’t think we’ll have the huge FA spending spree that some fans expect and I honestly don’t think we need it.

I think we have a few areas where we need to improve for sure and I expect we will. I think we’ll retain our own FAs which is more important to me than even signing a top FA.

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is best case scenario for me. Hope we don’t give up too much.

I want Darnold. I’d love to just give up a 2nd to get him and he can compete w/ Heinicke & Allen or another FA if we sign someone other than Allen.

I like the potential that Darnold still has and the fact that we can get him w/o having to give up too much draft capital.

I mean I just keep going back to if Darnold was in this draft he’d be the 2nd QB off the board just like he was 3 years ago. He’s only going to be 24 when the season starts next year. 

I also appreciate that people do such a good job looking at history and what happened with other QBs but, I look at how Darnold plays and I just see a lot of Brett Favre in him and we all know Favre really didn’t take off until he got in a better situation in Green Bay where he was allowed to play and develop and he had other young players around him who were developing as well. That’s exactly what we have happening on our offense as well with Terry, Gibson and the others who aren’t quite there yet like Cam Sims & Harmon. Darnold will also be playing with the best TE he’s ever played with if he comes here in Logan Thomas.

I mean Darnold to Terry could be like Favre to Sterling Sharpe & then Andre Rison was in Green Bay.

Edited by turtle28

What do you think you could get if you traded Jon Allen for Stephon Gilmore? Allen is younger and they want to move on from Gilmore It’s not a straight player for player trade but I think this could be a realistic option for both teams

7 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

What do you think you could get if you traded Jon Allen for Stephon Gilmore? Allen is younger and they want to move on from Gilmore It’s not a straight player for player trade but I think this could be a realistic option for both teams

Our team would be better off re-signing Darby. We don’t have to give up a player & a pick to keep Darby and he’s cheaper. We can use that cap space then to upgrade our WRs, LB corps & even FS and a LT like Okung if we want to.