2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Well there is always one and I guess I am that one. I'm in on Golladay. Curtis Samuel or fuller is ok also. But the real question is what about a QB. FA Options for this yr are not good unless we trade for Darnold or Wilson

5 hours ago, 4209 said:

Well there is always one and I guess I am that one. I'm in on Golladay. Curtis Samuel or fuller is ok also. But the real question is what about a QB. FA Options for this yr are not good unless we trade for Darnold or Wilson

The problem becomes the cost & the cap. If we give Galloday a Amari Cooper type deal & we keep Scherff, Darby & Jon Allen then are we going to be able to keep Terry by extending him next year or re-signing him as a FA in 2023? 

Are you prepared to lose both Payne & Ioannidis possibly in 2023 also?

There is a domino effect to giving a WR such a huge deal which means we are sure to lose several of our best core players that we’ve drafted and developed or players that played well here last year.

If we sign Galloday to a deal that’s going to pay him $22 million in 2023 & we lose Terry & Payne as a result I’m going to be really mad and I’d hope that everyone else would be as well.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, 4209 said:

I’d love to have Golladay but I just don’t think he’ll sign here. I can’t imagine the QB situation is attractive to prospective free agents. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Saints franchising Marcus Williams put a big dent in the mock offseason I’ve been working up. It’s ridiculous that they’re $50M over the cap currently and still are permitted to tag this guy. 

Yeah, that’s odd, I’m sure they are going to cut a bunch of players & are reworking deals as speak fo make it work when the league day starts.

I still think it makes most sense to sign Malik Hooker on a one year prove it deal like we did with Darby last year. Darby was on a 1-year $4 million deal last year, I’m sure we could get Hooker on something similar.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Saints franchising Marcus Williams put a big dent in the mock offseason I’ve been working up. It’s ridiculous that they’re $50M over the cap currently and still are permitted to tag this guy. 

The cap is like a gov't budget. It's all truly made up and imaginary it seems. No, we don't have $1,000,000,000 for a bailout $3 million for this key reserve player, but yes we have $64,000,000,000 for more tanks $14,000,000 for this ace safety. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The cap is like a gov't budget. It's all truly made up and imaginary it seems. No, we don't have $1,000,000,000 for a bailout $3 million for this key reserve player, but yes we have $64,000,000,000 for more tanks $14,000,000 for this ace safety. 

Reminds of the Company I worked for - President asked the CFO- what's the EPS coming in at this quarter. The CFO said --Well, what would like it be to be ? Voodoo accounting !

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Reminds of the Company I worked for - President asked the CFO- what's the EPS coming in at this quarter. The CFO said --Well, what would like it be to be ? Voodoo accounting !

Considering this is part of my job... Yes. It obviously exists :).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean, I’m sure eventually the bill comes due, to some degree at least. 

But what has become pretty clear and obvious at this point is that if you’re good and looking to extend your window of being good, you can largely keep pushing back that judgment day until you’re ready for it to hit — presumably when your window is closed and your rebuild begins, and you aren’t concerned about being able to spend money anyway. Like you say, teams are able to make the cap do what they want it to.

Not to say that you can always just go out and sign whomever you want with impunity. But if you’ve got the team, you can pretty much find ways to keep it together, at least the cornerstone guys. No one is letting their true star players hit FA because they’re too cap crippled, even in this highly irregular offseason. You may lose some good players over time — but the idea that we’re going to lose Chase or Terry because of our cap status seems extremely farfetched to me, based on the way every single good team is able to keep their main stars in house. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I mean, I’m sure eventually the bill comes due, to some degree at least. 

It does. Kinda. But there are bailouts (someone taking Wentz contract), retirements (Brees), and other items that seem to help. These voidable contracts seem to help. The piper seems to still be able to be pushed back.

Just now, lavar703 said:

Ron is doing his presser today. Basically we won’t be big players in free agency again. 

I'm good with that . I thought they did a superlative job last year . ( hope it wasn't all Kyle ! ) Maybe one big signing would be good , a W R or LB .