2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe it’s just me, I also don’t think that Galloday & Juju are worth $100 million contracts.

Galloday had 1 good & 1 great season in 4 years. Juju had the same and that great year for Juju was when Antonio Brown was opposite him drawing double coverage.

I don’t think Corey Davis is far off from them. If we can get Davis for $5-8 million less a year, that’s a smarter move for us considering Corey Davis was only 16 yards from being a 1,000 yard receiver last year 

Nah I’ll pass. If we’re going big game hunting just go for the top. Quit doing the thing we do every off-season where we end up with the Paul Richardson’s and the Terrelle Pryors of the world trying to save a few bucks. If they want Galloday and Trey Lance, make it happen. Go after what you want. That’s how I feel. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Nah I’ll pass. If we’re going big game hunting just go for the top. Quit doing the thing we do every off-season where we end up with the Paul Richardson’s and the Terrelle Pryors of the world trying to save a few bucks. If they want Galloday and Trey Lance, make it happen. Go after what you want. That’s how I feel. 

Corey Davis is not Paul Richardson or Terrell Pryor. Corey Davis is 26 and just reaching his prime. He’s coming off a 65 recs, 984 yds, a 15.1 ypc & 5 TDs season and just entered his prime. 

Why would we not want that as our #2 WR for the next 4 or 5 years?

The Colts are bing linked to signing him right now. Are you telling me that he’s good enough for them at an avg of $12-15 mil per year but he’s beneath our awesome teams standards? Yeah, I don’t think so.

That $5 million per year could be the difference between keeping one of our DL or upgrading another position w/ a good FA in the future.

Trey Lance? Let’s focus on FAs and keep the draft talk for the other thread. 

Edited by turtle28

Chargers just released Trai Turner to save 11 mill against the cap. 

now is our time to swoop in and get him. He has had some injuries but he’s 27 years old and a 5x probowler!

trade Scherrf or rescind the tag and sign Turner

1. Cheaper

2. younger

3. not losing much by swapping him for Scherrf 

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Chargers just released Trai Turner to save 11 mill against the cap. 

now is our time to swoop in and get him. He has had some injuries but he’s 27 years old and a 5x probowler!

trade Scherrf or rescind the tag and sign Turner

1. Cheaper

2. younger

3. not losing much by swapping him for Scherrf 

I think they should sign Trai & trade Scherff. No need to rescind the trade at this point, they can’t continue to work on a long term deal.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Oh Christ, come on already. Last season we didn’t spend because this year we’d have more money and could extend players and fill holes on the roster. Now this year we aren’t spending so we can do all of that next year? Lol. Just change this tweet to 2023 next year.

We aren’t spending and we’re going to go into the season with a roster full of holes, no QB and we’ll be facing a first place schedule. Also, the fans that want to keep saving money every year just blow me away. Like the dummies who thought letting Bryce Harper go was so we could pay Rendon and the Lerners just pocketed the money letting them both walk. We’re in the same situation only we won’t be bad enough to get our franchise QB because we’ll end up picking 5-10 next year. 

Yeap I know it is a tweet. I am fully aware of that. That's why I dig a little farther to find a more reliable source. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/cap/2022/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

$130,436,868 mil for 2022 according to spotrac.com

On 3/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, turtle28 said:

It’s true that we can give both Galloday & Terry contracts that pay them $100 million and $20 million a year on average but that’s going to affect our talent level at other positions. We will be sure to lose some talent off our DL if we spend that much on the WR spot.

We don’t have to have two super star pro bowl level WRs in order to have a great passing game or to win a lot of  games. We need a balanced team with the wealth spread around on both the offense and defense about evenly. Teams that do that are generally the best in the NFL. The last time we were spending 70% of our salary cap on our offense was when we had Cousins, DJax, Garcon, Reed & Trent in 2016 and while our passing game was one of the best in the league our defense was one of the worst in the league and we finished that season 8-7-1.

I would like to have our salaries spread more evenly than that and near 50/50 as we can be on offense and defense. If we do that we have a much better chance at winning double digit games and being a perennial playoff team.

@LoganF89 Yes I presume the salary cap will go up every year but, so will our players salaries on their deals. 

It’s certainly something we have to monitor and I expect they will. If we want to continue to have the best DL in the NFL - which I think we should want to retain them as much as we can & Terry - we shouldn’t overspend on the WR too much.

Also you mention the QB position and we aren’t paying for a franchise level QB right now but hopefully someday we will be w/in 5 years and then that’s going to affect players we have on contracts as well, we’d probably have to cut a player at that point to make that work which is fine. I just think the loading up on big contracts & want that does to our salary cap and the core drafted players of our team who are the ones who should be priorities in re-signing is something that people need to take into account more. Re-signing our own drafted  players seems like it’s a better idea than buying other teams discarded players 9 times out of 10.

There are so many examples of this over the last 27 years on why it’s better to retain you own rather than to overpay for other teams FAs to build your team.

@turtle28 I expect every team in the NFL to get a boat load of money in 2022 and it something to watch closely. Having more money means teams can spend more  which will have an effect  wage scales. This boat load from tv revenues of money should keep coming year in an year out. So you I am really expect alot from new tv deals.

again here are 

NFL franchise tag values for 2020

The following franchise and transition tag values are projections by OverTheCap.com based on a $200 million salary cap.

Per OTC, "franchise and transition tenders are calculated by adding the respective tag numbers, divided by the sum of the salary caps, from the previous five seasons, and finally multiplied by the current season's salary cap."

Pos. Franchise tag Transition tag
QB $26,895,000 $24,373,000
DE $19,316,000 $16,338,000
WR $18,491,000 $15,926,000
CB $16,471,000 $14,570,000
LB $16,266,000 $14,080,000
OL $16,102,000 $14,666,000
DT $15,500,000 $12,321,000
S $12,735,000 $10,801,000
RB $12,474,000 $10,189,000
TE $11,076,000 $9,267,000
ST $5,297,000 $4,884,000

@4209 Yeah, every team is going to get a boatload of $. That doesn’t mean we’ll be able to retain the guys we want. I’d prioritize our best players over diving up multiple $100 mil contract to other teams players. Signings in the mid tear, I’m all for, overpaying for another teams FA, I’m not for it.

When has it worked for us except w/ Fletcher?

Alan Harper

Stubbifield

Bruce Smith

Deion

Mark Carrier

Trung Candidate 

Coles

Antwan Randle El

Brandon Lloyd

Adam Archuletta

Albert Haynesworth

Josh Norman 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@4209 Yeah, every team is going to get a boatload of $. That doesn’t mean we’ll be able to retain the guys we want. I’d prioritize our best players over diving up multiple $100 mil contract to other teams players. Signings in the mid tear, I’m all for, overpaying for another teams FA, I’m not for it.

Alan Harper

Stubbifield

Bruce Smith

Deion

Mark Carrier

Trung Candidate 

Coles

Antwan Randle El

Brandon Lloyd

Adam Archuletta

Albert Haynesworth

Josh Norman 

Man, imagine what a Fletcher signing right now would do for us!!! Too bad there isn’t a Fletcher quality MLB out there right now in FA. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Alan Harper

Stubbifield

Bruce Smith

Deion

Mark Carrier

Trung Candidate 

Coles

Antwan Randle El

Brandon Lloyd

Adam Archuletta

Albert Haynesworth

Josh Norman 

I agree very seldom do the guys produce what they command which is why they aren’t retained. It’s not that they aren’t good it tends to be they aren’t as good as the top deal they want. That’s why the bargains tend to be just that bargains or you lose a year on a gamble with no implications. The guys that are worth their top deals that do move tend to be traded because they just can’t meet with their current team for whatever reasons.

• Like 1