2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Cooley wants us to sign Hunter Henry, Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel lol

I will say, as the options at positions of need dwindle, I do think it’s more likely today than it was 2 weeks ago or so that they’ll go after Hunter Henry. 

We know that Norv Turner liked to feature the TE (guys like Novacek and Gates, in particular), and we know based on the usage of Logan Thomas last season that the same appears to be true for Scott Turner. That would make a high-end TE a critical piece to the long-term goal. 

We also know that bringing in a mid-20s TE with a lot of talent who hadn’t quite broken out yet was one of the best moves Hurney/Rivera ever made. Almost assuredly the best one involving a veteran player. And we know that one thing you can count on from Rivera is that he likes to go back to things he thinks have worked for him in the past. I could easily envision them considering Henry their new Greg Olsen — he has that kind of talent (and that kind of character, from all reports). 

We also know that John Keim, who I think is pretty well plugged in, made only one major contract offer in the ESPN simulated FA market, and that was to a TE (though admittedly Jonnu Smith instead of Henry). That suggests to me that he may have knowledge that they intend to prioritize adding another TE. 

I’m not necessarily advocating for that, although I’d certainly rather they sign Henry than just sit on the money. Just suggesting that it seems quite possible given all the circumstances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Worked pretty good last year.

I mean, yes it did but I think it was very much an outlier. Our passing offense was still pretty terrible and we had nobody to take pressure off of Terry. We had basically nothing at LB and that badly hurt the defense and now one of their good signings is most likely gone in Darby and we have to replace him. I just don’t think a rebuilding team that’s kinda at stage 3 of what I would call a stage 5 build should sit out free agency and avoid improving problem areas with real talent. 

On 2/27/2021 at 5:00 PM, turtle28 said:

I forget who was saying that we should do that a while back. It may have been @offbyone the only reason I pause with that for this this season  is because the cap shrank this year. Hopefully this season we’re more past COVID and the cap grows again for the 2022 FA period.

Per Spotrac, they've got just outside of $40M because they franchised Scherff. So, they ate the cap space for him but only have him for a year. Had they given him a new contract, it likely would have been cheaper now and in the future.

Oh well.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, MKnight82 said:
On 3/5/2021 at 4:30 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

This is best case scenario for me. Hope we don’t give up too much.

tumblr_pwg9hh12Sr1vk6enco5_540.gifv

giphy.gif

Edited by Woz

On 3/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, turtle28 said:

I want Darnold. I’d love to just give up a 2nd to get him and he can compete w/ Heinicke & Allen or another FA if we sign someone other than Allen.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

On 3/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, turtle28 said:

For me it’s either sign a true upgrade like Okung or draft another LT prospect in round 1 or 2 to compete w/ Lucas & Christian. I think that makes more sense.

Also, Trent Brown will be 28 on April 13th. It is true that Lucas is two years older, he’ll be 30 in July.

The latter ship has sailed, my friend.

Christian =
N7W6yyr.png

On 3/9/2021 at 10:27 PM, turtle28 said:

I’d rather sign Corey Davis or Samuel & save the big contract for Terry next year on an extension.

What Woz wants to happen: Yes to Davis, no to Samuel.
What Woz expects to happen: No to Davis, yes to Samuel. (stupid Rivera being enamored with his old stomping ground)

On 3/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, Umbaugh21 said:

I’m still on board for signing Mariota or Winston. I would love for Heinicke to be the guy, but I don’t see it happening and I don’t think Kyle Allen will ever amount to much. 

7fa01637c8ecce034968a9b8bb899e5d.gif