2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

I will say, as the options at positions of need dwindle, I do think it’s more likely today than it was 2 weeks ago or so that they’ll go after Hunter Henry. 

We know that Norv Turner liked to feature the TE (guys like Novacek and Gates, in particular), and we know based on the usage of Logan Thomas last season that the same appears to be true for Scott Turner. That would make a high-end TE a critical piece to the long-term goal. 

We also know that bringing in a mid-20s TE with a lot of talent who hadn’t quite broken out yet was one of the best moves Hurney/Rivera ever made. Almost assuredly the best one involving a veteran player. And we know that one thing you can count on from Rivera is that he likes to go back to things he thinks have worked for him in the past. I could easily envision them considering Henry their new Greg Olsen — he has that kind of talent (and that kind of character, from all reports). 

We also know that John Keim, who I think is pretty well plugged in, made only one major contract offer in the ESPN simulated FA market, and that was to a TE (though admittedly Jonnu Smith instead of Henry). That suggests to me that he may have knowledge that they intend to prioritize adding another TE. 

I’m not necessarily advocating for that, although I’d certainly rather they sign Henry than just sit on the money. Just suggesting that it seems quite possible given all the circumstances.

Young, expensive, and oft-injured Henry or older, relatively cheaper, and oft-injured Rudolph?

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

1. He should be relatively cheap to obtain.

2. He's still on a rookie contract.

3. He was a highly regarded prospect when he came out.  He's been put in a pretty terrible situation in NY.

1. Not sure I view a 2nd or a 3rd for Darnold as relatively cheap when they could spend that on a Trask or Mond and perhaps get the same return for a longer run.
  2. For one more year at cheap prices and then at 5th year option price (which they would almost certainly have to activate sight-unseen).
  3. While he's had a rough time of it in New York, what have you seen that points to him reaching that lofty prospect position?

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

True but Christian is still on his rookie deal & can back up Lucas. We can spend our draft picks elsewhere and draft a LT next year.

If Darrisaw or other 1st round LT is there at 19(*), I would pull the trigger right then and there. Build for the future.

(*) Okay, yes, it depends on who else is available. If, for instance, Devonta Smith inexplicably fell to 19 that might change the equation. No, I don't expect that to happen. Just saying that I'm not locked in on Darrisaw at 19(**).
(**) Parsons at 19 I'm locked in on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

If Darrisaw or other 1st round LT is there at 19(*), I would pull the trigger right then and there. Build for the future.

(*) Okay, yes, it depends on who else is available. If, for instance, Devonta Smith inexplicably fell to 19 that might change the equation. No, I don't expect that to happen. Just saying that I'm not locked in on Darrisaw at 19(**).

I would take a first round OT BPA too but I wouldn’t take another mid round OT just to replace Christian. Sorry should’ve explained that better.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Not sure I view a 2nd or a 3rd for Darnold as relatively cheap when they could spend that on a Trask or Mond and perhaps get the same return for a longer run.
  2. For one more year at cheap prices and then at 5th year option price (which they would almost certainly have to activate sight-unseen).
  3. While he's had a rough time of it in New York, what have you seen that points to him reaching that lofty prospect position?

Darnold has more talent than them 

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Any of those 3 and I’m elated!!! Those are I think the 3 best players and they all have a outside story or measurement of hole that gives them a outside chance to make 19. I doubt Smith but you run that in. I’d run any of those in especially if Parsons off the field checks and Ron and co feel they will keep him busy and focused then heck yeah

Just now, turtle28 said:

I would take a first round OT BPA too but I wouldn’t take another mid round OT just to replace Christian. Sorry should’ve explained that better.

I would certainly be okay with say Zaven Collins at 19, Samuel Cosmi in the 2nd, slot receiver to taste at 3A, and tight end to taste at 3B (shuffle Cosmi, receiver, and TE as you will).

I don't view Christian as anything than a body in a roster slot at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

Sure but for 2nd or 3rd rnd pick it’s worth the risk 

giphy.gif

I'd rather roll the dice on either using the 2nd/3rd on a guy we can keep on the cheap for four years or just roll with the guys we have now plus a bridge veteran.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Maybe so, but if he's seeing ghosts as he attested, it may not matter how much raw talent he has.

I hate to say it but becuase I don't really like Mitch but I rather sign Trubisky for under 10 mil closer to 5 as possible then give up a 2nd Darnold knowing we have to exercise that option right away

Just now, ovfd55 said:

I hate to say it but becuase I don't really like Mitch but I rather sign Trubisky for under 10 mil closer to 5 as possible then give up a 2nd Darnold knowing we have to exercise that option right away

I would be more okay going with Trubisky in this scenario, but I worry that Trubisky still thinks of himself as a starting QB. There may be a bit more there in his NFL career than there is with Darnold, but only a bit.

But if they can get Trubisky at <$10M for a year as their bridge guy, okay, I would be okay with it. I just don't think it's likely.