2021 Free Agent Thread

42 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Saintss roaster about to blown up!

Alonzo the lb might be a good signing

Who’s Alonzo?

I think the Saints keep Winston & Taysom Hill. They’ll still be good, probably not Super Bowl contender good though.

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We’re going to sign Cam Newton. We all know it.

And probably no one else of note either.  A bunch of signings like last year.  I dont want us to go hog-wild here, but we could use an above average LG, #2 WR and some LB help via free agency.  

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And probably no one else of note either.  A bunch of signings like last year.  I dont want us to go hog-wild here, but we could use an above average LG, #2 WR and some LB help via free agency.  

Corey Davis and KJ Wright, would be nice additions without spending a lot of money. 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Who’s Alonzo?

I think the Saints keep Winston & Taysom Hill. They’ll still be good, probably not Super Bowl contender good though.

meant alex anzalone

saints have alot of players we can raid

• Like 1

Cam Newton isn't my top choice, but it wouldn't be the worse move we could make.

He's familiar with the offense & coaches. 

And he's light years better than Kyle Allen or Dewayne Haskins.

Having Cam Newton & Taylor Heinicke is not the worst position to be in.

Question is, how much would cam Newton cost?

12 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

meant alex anzalone

saints have alot of players we can raid

Not sure we need Anzalone, he and Holcomb are pretty similar aren’t they? Alazone is better though, if you get him and move Holcomb to MLB w/ Collins, KPL or Hudson at WLB that could work.

Edited by turtle28
2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Cam Newton isn't my top choice, but it wouldn't be the worse move we could make.

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if we signed Cam Newton, the issue is that it keeps us mediocre but doesn’t make us much better IMO. He’s a bandaid on a QB wound that’s been gushing at our QB position since 1994.

I know this is hard to believe but Kyle Allen was a better passer than Cam Newton last year but of course Cam Newton is a running back playing QB so in the red zone and in short yardage he’s going to capitalize which gives us that dimension.

Kyle Allen: 69%, 610 yds, 5 TDs (1 rushing), 1 int in 3 games started.

Obviously his worst play was the fumble which led to the Giants returning it for a TD which cost us that game.

Cam Newton: 66%, 2658 yds, 8 TDs, 10 ints in 15 games 

592 yards rushing, 12 TDs, 6 fumbles 

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

It would be the worse move we could make and I say that as big Newton fan.  

There are several reasons.  First off, Newton can't operate the passing attack.  Secondly, Newton will only come here to start.  That means Allen and Heinicke won't even have a fair competition.  Thirdly, Newton just stayed healthy for a season, do you really think it will happen two years in a row?

Personally  I want us racing to the future whether that is a legit FA QB acquisition, a draft pick or at least Heinicke.  I mean, I would even rather crash and burn with Heinicke and Allen then win 7 games with newton, miss the playoffs and end up with another mediocre draft spot.  

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, offbyone said:

There are several reasons.  First off, Newton can't operate the passing attack.  Secondly, Newton will only come here to start.  That means Allen and Heinicke won't even have a fair competition.  Thirdly, Newton just stayed healthy for a season, do you really think it will happen two years in a row?

Personally  I want us racing to the future whether that is a legit FA QB acquisition, a draft pick or at least Heinicke.  I mean, I would even rather crash and burn with Heinicke and Allen then win 7 games with newton, miss the playoffs and end up with another mediocre draft spot.  

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

It will be Mark Brunell all over again without us stupidly giving up a third round pick. Cam is done. Can’t throw the ball anymore. But he’ll be here. Anybody who doesn’t see this coming is blind. They’re basically rebuilding Carolina here. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It will be Mark Brunell all over again without us stupidly giving up a third round pick. Cam is done. Can’t throw the ball anymore. But he’ll be here. Anybody who doesn’t see this coming is blind. They’re basically rebuilding Carolina here. 

I hope you’re wrong that he ends up here. 

I would also suggest that Cam’s arm is not a noodle arm like Brunnell’s was when we traded for him. Cam’s issue has always been more accuracy. I would also suggest that possibly the reason why Cam didn’t have a good year passing last year was because the weapons in New England are amongst the worst in the NFL, far worse than ours.

The weapons were are awful in NE that they made Tom Brady look done and then he goes to Tampa this year and looks good to great. 

So, perhaps it was more the NE weapons are awful more than Cam is done but it’s incredibly hard to judge. All I know is Tom Brady didn’t look good last year in NE either.

Edited by turtle28
1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't think it is a given.  But I am sure it is a consideration.