2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

On 3/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, lavar703 said:

What about Jadeveon Clowney? I mean, if we can get him for cheap it would be nice to add him to the DL rotation. 

Forgot to reply to this. He was paid $11.5 million for 0 sacks in 8 games last year before ending up with another season ending knee injury. I would pass. Clowney is what he is at this point- an oft, injured guy who can’t finish rushing the passer who is a good player against the run. You can find that guy in the draft, more than likely without the oft-injured part. 

In my opinion, Clowney is going to have another tough time selling himself again this offseason 

The 49ers have pulled off a blockbuster trade to move up in the 2021 NFL draft, one that makes clear Jimmy Garoppolo‘s days are numbered, and one that bolsters Tua Tagovailoa‘s status as the Dolphins’ franchise quarterback.

The trade features the Dolphins sending the third overall pick to the 49ers in exchange for San Francisco’s No. 12 overall pick this year, a third-round compensatory pick this year, and first-round picks in both 2022 and 2023.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, turtle28 said:

Very disappointing if true

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

The fact that they think a guy who will be 30 next year, who has played for six teams in eight years despite being a top 50 pick, has some sort of untapped ceiling here is a tad bit ridiculous and quite frankly, lulzy.  I am truly worried about the roster and talent evaluation here moving forward.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really confused over the Lamar Miller signing.  Again, one of those guys who we can replace with a mid-late round pick.  

Signing Miller doesn’t mean we won’t draft a RB in the mid to late rounds again. Last year we drafted Gibson despite having Peterson, Guice, Love & McKissic already on the roster. 

Miller is insurance. He’s a Low risk high reward signing like Barber last year. I also think he must have shown them something after they signed him last December. He could be Barber’s replacement on the roster next year if Love still doesn’t pan out or if we don’t draft someone better. I see absolutely no reason to be upset with signing a veteran to a cheap deal to compete for a back up end of the roster spot. It’s insurance in case a younger guy isn’t good enough to have that spot.

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I wish QB, WR and CB was still on that list. It’d be foolish to not draft the best available CB or WR in the early rounds if they are the best player available too or to not draft a QB if they fall to us in the draft.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wish QB, WR and CB was still on that list. It’d be foolish to not draft the best available CB or WR in the early rounds if they are the best player available too or to not draft a QB if they fall to us in the draft.

CB? We’re paying Fuller and Jackson a combined $80M over the next 3 seasons, are we really going to invest one of our top picks in the only position we’ve chosen to spend real money on? I’m a big believer in BPA, but I feel like a CB would have to be the best talent left on the board by a wide margin to be the best player for us. 

That said, I suppose WR is comparable — two good starters and a decent slot piece — and I still want them to draft a WR. So I take your point. I just don’t value CB very highly, I guess.

• Like 1