2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

CB? We’re paying Fuller and Jackson a combined $80M over the next 3 seasons, are we really going to invest one of our top picks in the only position we’ve chosen to spend real money on? I’m a big believer in BPA, but I feel like a CB would have to be the best talent left on the board by a wide margin to be the best player for us. 

That said, I suppose WR is comparable — two good starters and a decent slot piece — and I still want them to draft a WR. So I take your point. I just don’t value CB very highly, I guess.

I don’t care what we’re paying our top 2 corners, I’m worried about our depth at corner. So yeah, I wouldn’t take that off the board. It’s not my top choice, but I definitely think we should take a corner at some point in the draft.

And the way I took John Keim’s tweet was that they were kind of done trying to improve the CB position, and I 100% don’t agree with that. Just because we signed Darryl Roberts and re-signed Danny Johnson does not mean our 5 corners are set, we can still improve that position.

Same with the WR position.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:09 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Really confused over the Lamar Miller signing.  Again, one of those guys who we can replace with a mid-late round pick.  

Whereas I disagreed with you on Larsen and Mayo as roster fluff, I'm with you here. RBs can be found late or in UDFA. Don't know why you need a guy whose basically done.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t care what we’re paying our top 2 corners, I’m worried about our depth at corner. So yeah, I wouldn’t take that off the board. It’s not my top choice, but I definitely think we should take a corner at some point in the draft.

And the way I took John Keim’s tweet was that they were kind of done trying to improve the CB position, and I 100% don’t agree with that. Just because we signed Darryl Roberts and re-signed Danny Johnson does not mean our 5 corners are set, we can still improve that position.

Yeah I’d have no issue with us drafting one of the top 3 corners, if they’re BPA. Gives us depth, gives us a solid dime and nickel set when fully healthy. And potentially allows us to move on from WJ3 or Fuller when they’re guaranteed money is up. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Yeah I’d have no issue with us drafting one of the top 3 corners, if they’re BPA. Gives us depth, gives us a solid dime and nickel set when fully healthy. And potentially allows us to move on from WJ3 or Fuller when they’re guaranteed money is up. 

200.gif

LB Eric Wilson ranks as 4th-best free agent still available | Vikings Wire via @thevikingswire

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/29/lb-eric-wilson-ranks-as-4th-best-free-agent-still-available/

If we don’t draft a LB that should come in and start day 1 in round 1 or 2 like Parsons, JOK, Zaven Collins, Nick Bolton or Jabril Cox, we should sign Eric Wilson as a FA after the draft. 

“Over at CBS Sports, Bryan DeArdo and Jeff Kerr have Wilson listed as the fourth-best free agent who has yet to sign with a team.

Here’s what was written about Wilson:

A former undrafted rookie, Wilson became a full-time starter during the 2020 season. Last season, the 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker racked up 122 tackles, three sacks, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries. Wilson has recently been linked to the Broncos, who are looking to upgrade their linebacker corps for the 2021 season.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-chargers-melvin-ingram-headlines-the-top-10-remaining-players/

Alejandro Villanueva is listed as the 2nd best FA available. Russell Okung is listed 6th and Ryan Kerrigan is listed at 10th on their list.

I’m a fan of this signing. I’m not as fired up to get rid of Steven Sims as some seem to be — but if they’re going that route, I like Carter as a return man. I’ve always noticed him over the years, he has some real juice when he catches the ball. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m a fan of this signing. I’m not as fired up to get rid of Steven Sims as some seem to be — but if they’re going that route, I like Carter as a return man. I’ve always noticed him over the years, he has some real juice when he catches the ball. 

I don’t think it’s a guarantee Sims is gone. I think this is one of those “get your act together” type deals. I am on the fence about Sims Jr though because he does have a lot of talent and I could see going elsewhere and making this franchise look dumb but he also drops a lot of passes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think it’s a guarantee Sims is gone. I think this is one of those “get your act together” type deals. I am on the fence about Sims Jr though because he does have a lot of talent and I could see going elsewhere and making this franchise look dumb but he also drops a lot of passes. 

I agree, Steven Sims & Isaiah Wright too will still compete for the last few roster spots on this team, they’re not cut & there’s no reason to cut them right now. They’re going to be at OTAs, Mini-camps, training camp and preseason. As I said in another post if these two are going to be considered to make the team they’re going to have to catch almost every pass thrown to them and muff no outs or even look like they may muff/juggle a put, they gotta show they have reliable hands and can continuously make clean catches.

They are both going to have a chance to redeem themselves this offseason and if they don’t there’s a chance both end up on the practice squad too.

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I think Steven Sims is finished in the NFL.

There’s no way to know that. The guy has so much talent as a return man & when he gets the ball in his hands as a receiver or runner on offense. He’s a bigger version of Brandon Banks - who I think should’ve been in the league this entire decade and playing for Washington as our return man & #5 WR that we could use on offense on screens & jet sweeps but that ship sailed. 

S. Sims just has to improve his ball security and his focus as a receiver. He dropped balls - punts and receptions - because he made the age old mistake of running before he caught or secured the ball and took his eyes off the ball to look upfield and the very last second and started running.

Everyone here knows those things can be fixed & rather easily IMO. It’s all about focus & making sure you secure the ball before taking off and running with it or trying to. If he can do that this off-season he’s going to either make the team again as our 6th WR or he’ll be put on the practice squad where we may lose him anyway, and the same goes for Isaiah Wright.

I feel with this DeAndre Carter signing - which I love & 100% endorse - that Steven Sims & Isaiah Wright are likely going to end up being our practice squad WRs this year which is great for the teams improvement in the WR corps.

Just last year in week 1 S. Sims was our #2 WR - at worst #3/slot WR - and Isaiah Wright was our #5 who w/in a month bc of S. Simms’s injury vs Arizona became our #3 WR/starting slot WR.

Now were looking at our WR corps where Cam Sims is our #4 WR who the 2nd half of the year & in the playoffs was our #2 WR.

Just with the signing of Samuel & Humphries we’ve greatly improved our WR corps and the draft hasn’t even come. We could take a WR still w/in the first 3 rounds who may be able to beat out Humphries or Cam Sims to be our #3/#4 WR.

Last summer I was excited to see Harmon, S. Sims & Cam Sims get their chance to prove themselves as I was with Haskins. I was hopeful that they’d all show off their potential and thought they could. 

Now I’m very excited and sure enough to say that we have a good WR corps where last year I was just hopeful we had guys in Harmon & the Sims’s that could prove they could play in the league.

Bottomline is, I love where we’re at!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I think we've quietly had another good free agency. Some will say we weren't that quiet, but I would disagree.

We were patient with getting a WR in Samuel, as we let it all play out.

Fitz we were more aggressive with, but we only signed him to a 1-year deal. It's not like we signed him to some long term deal.

We added some smart pieces I believe & overlooked just big names. I think the Jackson signing was a good one & letting Darby go was a smart move.

The only thing I truly question at the moment, is the Brandon Scherff situation.

Are we signing him long term?

Is he gonna play this year on the tag?

Are we setting it up to trade him before, during or after the draft?

I have no idea what their plans or intensions are, with the Scherff situation. It would be nice to have some clarity.

Now comes the draft.

If we can nail the draft, we could be setting ourselves up, to be a legit contender in the NFC.

I really hope we play the draft smart as well. Be patient & strike only when necessary.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:17 PM, turtle28 said:

If they wanted to get creative, and CB was the BPA, they could move Fuller to FS.  That is another option that is available if they want to do it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There’s no way to know that. The guy has so much talent as a return man & when he gets the ball in his hands as a receiver or runner on offense. He’s a bigger version of Brandon Banks - who I think should’ve been in the league this entire decade and playing for Washington as our return man & #5 WR that we could use on offense on screens & jet sweeps but that ship sailed. 

S. Sims just has to improve his ball security and his focus as a receiver. He dropped balls - punts and receptions - because he made the age old mistake of running before he caught or secured the ball and took his eyes off the ball to look upfield and the very last second and started running.

Everyone here knows those things can be fixed & rather easily IMO. It’s all about focus & making sure you secure the ball before taking off and running with it or trying to. If he can do that this off-season he’s going to either make the team again as our 6th WR or he’ll be put on the practice squad where we may lose him anyway, and the same goes for Isaiah Wright.

I feel with this DeAndre Carter signing - which I love & 100% endorse - that Steven Sims & Isaiah Wright are likely going to end up being our practice squad WRs this year which is great for the teams improvement in the WR corps.

Just last year in week 1 S. Sims was our #2 WR - at worst #3/slot WR - and Isaiah Wright was our #5 who w/in a month bc of S. Simms’s injury vs Arizona became our #3 WR/starting slot WR.

Now were looking at our WR corps where Cam Sims is our #4 WR who the 2nd half of the year & in the playoffs was our #2 WR.

Just with the signing of Samuel & Humphries we’ve greatly improved our WR corps and the draft hasn’t even come. We could take a WR still w/in the first 3 rounds who may be able to beat out Humphries or Cam Sims to be our #3/#4 WR.

Last summer I was excited to see Harmon, S. Sims & Cam Sims get their chance to prove themselves as I was with Haskins. I was hopeful that they’d all show off their potential and thought they could. 

Now I’m very excited and sure enough to say that we have a good WR corps where last year I was just hopeful we had guys in Harmon & the Sims’s that could prove they could play in the league.

Bottomline is, I love where we’re at!

I wouldn’t say I love where we are at, but it is a substantial improvement over last year.  The group we had got a shot, and most let us down.  So it is time to move on, Sims Jr included.  Terrell Owens worked tirelessly on improving his hands, constantly catching dozens of ballls off the machine after everyone left the field.  I hope Sims has that work ethic, but from the way it looks, he doesn’t.