2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I wouldn’t say I love where we are at, but it is a substantial improvement over last year.  The group we had got a shot, and most let us down.  So it is time to move on, Sims Jr included.  Terrell Owens worked tirelessly on improving his hands, constantly catching dozens of ballls off the machine after everyone left the field.  I hope Sims has that work ethic, but from the way it looks, he doesn’t.  

I think S. Sims has that work ethic he worked tirelessly last offseason w/ Haskins on his route running & his hands. He had a bad year last year, can’t deny it or excuse it. I think he can do better but he obviously has the shortest leash on the team. Like I said, I think it’s most likely that our WR corps is this:

WR1: Terry, C. Sims

WR2: Samuel, AGG

Slot: Humphries, Harmon 

If we draft a WR in the first 4 rounds Harmon or AGG may be on the practice squad.

PS at this point: S. Sims & Isaiah Wright

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Any player they’d draft they’d have to mold and develop. Fitz is the shortest stop gap they could sign & puts us likely at the same record as last year or a game better but on the outside of the playoffs looking in. We’re likely to be drafting the teens & have to trade up to get a QB next year too. The signing made so sense to me. I’m sorry to disagree w/ the SR Mod Thai but I still think that Allen/Heinicke were the best options for them starting this season. You either find an answer in one of those 2 or you tank w/ then for a top 5 pick. Neither of those are possible w/ Fitz starting. At what he keeps you mediocre. 

If we traded for Darnold we wouldn’t have had to give up a 1st, that’s key! That’s a starter! We should’ve traded for Darbold rather than signing a near 40 year old QB.

Edited by turtle28

On 4/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

We’re doomed. Fitz is the QB you sign when you’re in NFL purgatory. He’s the QB you start when you hire a bunch of failed GMs to run your organization. I will never understand the excitement around this signing...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We’re doomed. Fitz is the QB you sign when you’re in NFL purgatory. He’s the QB you start when you hire a bunch of failed GMs to run your organization. I will never understand the excitement around this signing...

Yeah I understand why you sign the guy. I just don’t see excitement. Outside of the fact that now we have a circus on the field to match the one in the owners box💯💯💯

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree about purgatory, but we are not doomed.  Doomed would be have signing a multi-year contract.  Fitzpatrick is definitely going to be more fun to watch than Alex Smith, but that is about it.  He is not the future and he can also be horrible at times.  On the positive side we are not committed long term. 

It is very hard to solve the qb puzzle.  Whether the draft or free agent/trade, most gambits fail.  But you have to play to win and the problem with the Fitz signing is we aren't trying to solve the problem.  I am a bit unhappy about the move when I see all these youngish qbs who still have potential and being pretty cheap cost wise and trade value wise.  

It is such a tough situation to balance the move to make and certainly luck is required.  I think the worst thing we could do is force a solution that isn't really there by overpaying cap wise or draft value cost.  We kicked the can down the road here with a no harm, no foul approach, but next year or even likely during the season, we will be having the same discussion.  

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) Tweeted:
Note on the #Jets trade of Sam Darnold to the #Panthers: Prior to FA, two teams to take a hard look at Darnold were the #49ers and WFT, sources say. Washington had conversations about it & SF inquired about what it would take to happen, tho NYJ wasn’t ready to make a move yet.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, turtle28 said:

Doubtful. We couldn’t trade Brandon Banks & I think Banks showed just as much as Sims

Sims has better numbers and tape, and I mean no one signed Banks as a FA when we declined, so I'm not sure that's exactly true.

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

agencylife advertisement GIF by MX Player

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Sims has better numbers and tape, and I mean no one signed Banks as a FA when we declined, so I'm not sure that's exactly true.

Steven Sims has film from December 2019 when Kevin O’Connell was our OC that looks good, then he busted in 2020 & made people like me look foolish for believing in him. Perhaps he just had a sophomore slump. I hope it was just that and he can bounce back and be our 6th WR as well kick off & punt returner.

Banks proved to be a more electric return man who was sure handed. Sims has issues with fielding punts, catching passes & holding onto the ball. 

The only issue Banks had was his size & the off the field stuff at the 14th The Park Club on 14th Street, NW.

If Banks was 5’9 or 5’10 and 170-180 pounds instead of 150 pounds, people in this forum wouldn’t have even made a big deal of it. I hated that people thought Banks couldn’t be a good NfL slot WR bc he was only 5’7.

Edited by turtle28