2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Super cool, but if things work out well I doubt he is part of the active roster for at least a year.  The tricky situation with a project like this is whether we are able to keep him on the practice squad for multiple years or will someone poach him.  

Edited by offbyone

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Super cool, but if things work out well I doubt he is part of the active roster for at least a year.  The tricky situation with a project like this is whether we are able to keep him on the practice squad for multiple years or will someone poach him.  

Yeah, I was talking with a guy on Twitter about the same thing and said the same thing you did. My hope is that he shows enough in training camp/preseason where he’s our 3rd TE so that we won’t put him on the practice squad where someone could poach him.

I don’t want to hype the guy bc we really know little about him but Jimmy Graham showed enough as a young TE where he made the Saints roster and made an impact as a rookie. Mo Alie Cox too. My concern with guys like this aren’t getting open and catching the ball it’s the blocking, plus if he’s going to be our 3rd TE he’s going to have to be a special teams player too, so he’ll have to show the ability & willingness to tackle on coverage teams.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I was talking with a guy on Twitter about the same thing and said the same thing you did. My hope is that he shows enough in training camp/preseason where he’s our 3rd TE so that we won’t put him on the practice squad where someone could poach him.

I don’t want to hype the guy bc we really know little about him but Jimmy Graham showed enough as a young TE where he made the Saints roster and made an impact as a rookie. Mo Alie Cox too. My concern with guys like this aren’t getting open and catching the ball it’s the blocking, plus if he’s going to be our 3rd TE he’s going to have to be a special teams player too, so he’ll have to show the ability & willingness to tackle on coverage teams.

I really hope this guy works out but the hype machine is out of control.  He has never played the game.  He would need to be developed.  If he is our 3rd TE then we failed to bring in talent on the roster.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, offbyone said:

I really hope this guy works out but the hype machine is out of control.  He has never played the game.  He would need to be developed.  If he is our 3rd TE then we failed to bring in talent on the roster.

The hype machine is definitely out of control. I can’t say that if he makes the roster it’s a failure, he very well nay be the best prospect as a #3 TE. There’s no way of knowing that right now.

My opinion is I’d rather have a TE who’s showing a lot of potential as our #3 TE than a guy who has played the TE position for a while but doesn’t have Reyes’s potential. Reyes is essentially going to be a special teams player as a young player so, he had better learn to run down on kick offs & punts and cover kicks and learn to block on punts & field goals.

Now, for the #2 TE, I want either a vet TE who does everything at at least a serviceable level or a rookie we’ve drafted from round 2-5 that has experience at TE and has the potential to become a starter or could even start as a rookie.

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Arden Key/DE released by the Raiders. We need back up at DE. Might be worth bringing him into camp for competition. Came out of LSU and was drafted in the 3rd rd. 

He offers very little. I’d rather draft someone in the mid rounds.

Another LSU edge rusher who didn’t live up to his potential... not surprised! Someone keeps hyping them up, then they get to the NFL & do nothing!

I also think he may be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB. He’s 6’5, 240 pounds, he gets destroyed on the edges. He has the length but not the strength to make a real impact.

Edited by turtle28

On 4/15/2021 at 12:14 AM, offbyone said:

I don’t see him making the team. It’s one thing to be a great athlete but even Derek Carrier was a great athlete. It’s a totally different deal to be a TE and learn to block, run routes, catch with your hands etc. I enjoy the no-stone unturned approach but cutting Thaddeus Moss and then signing this guy was pretty silly.

Also, if you were going to do something like this why not just transition Steven Montez to TE? He has the size and he’s pretty fast. Let Logan Thomas work with him and help speed up his potential development. His background as a QB probably would help matters. Seemed to work for Jordan Reed and Logan Thomas. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t see him making the team. It’s one thing to be a great athlete but even Derek Carrier was a great athlete. It’s a totally different deal to be a TE and learn to block, run routes, catch with your hands etc. I enjoy the no-stone unturned approach but cutting Thaddeus Moss and then signing this guy was pretty silly.

Also, if you were going to do something like this why not just transition Steven Montez to TE? He has the size and he’s pretty fast. Let Logan Thomas work with him and help speed up his potential development. His background as a QB probably would help matters. Seemed to work for Jordan Reed and Logan Thomas. 

There must be some other reason that Miss got cut that we don’t definitely know about. I don’t think it’s because of his ability when he’s on the field. I think his foot must not be back to normal or he must be way way out of shape or something.