2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I don't think it is a given.  But I am sure it is a consideration.  

That’s where I’m at, I don’t think it’s a given either that they sign Cam but it’s going to be considered just like I’m sure it was last offseason.

I don’t want Cam on this team, I want to be clear about that.  I’d much rather stick with what we have, draft a QB or get someone to else through trade or FA but I’m not sure it’s a horrible horrible option to sign him either.

I don’t think it’s a given that Cam is done, he did after all account for 20 TDs - 8 passing & 12 rushing - on a team that didn’t have much offense at all outside of him bc of their lack of weapons and from what I can see he does still have a. Rocket for an arm - something that Brunel never had. 

That being said, we can’t be sure he has much left either. Cam is somewhere between his 2015 MVP self and being done. I think he’s still an average to an above average starter, especially when you consider how much of a threat he still is on the ground.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s where I’m at. I don’t think it’s a given that Cam is done, he did after all account for 20 TDs - 8 passing & 12 rushing - on a team that didn’t have much offense at all outside of him bc of their lack of weapons and from what I can see he does still have a. Rocket for an arm - something that Brunel never had. 

That being said, we can’t be sure he has much left either. Cam is somewhere between his 2015 MVP self and being done. I think he’s still an average to an above average starter, especially when you consider how much of a threat he still is on the ground.

But didn’t he also produce like 20 turnovers? I know he threw 12 interceptions and fumbled a bunch of times. He was bad. There’s really no other way to put it. 8 TD passes on the season is pretty pathetic. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But didn’t he also produce like 20 turnovers? I know he threw 12 interceptions and fumbled a bunch of times. He was bad. There’s really no other way to put it. 8 TD passes on the season is pretty pathetic. 

Cam had 20 TDs, NOT 20 turnovers. Yes, Cam only had 8 passing TDs which again had a lot to with playcalling by McDaniels & lack of playmakers. Cam did have 12 rushing TDs though. He only had 11 turnovers, 10 ints & 1 lost fumble.

The weapons around Cam weren’t very good. Edelman by far the Pats best receiving option also missed 5 games. And again, Tom Brady struggled last year with this same group of weapons. Now look at Brady bc he has weapons in Tampa.

I would also say that if you watched NE games this year when they got inside the 10 yard line it was power run w/ Cam Newton or zone read with Cam keeping the ball a lot and scoring on rushing TDs.

When Cam got in the red zone, almost every down McDaniels would run the ball. When that happens the QB isn’t likely to have a lot of TD passes, so IMO the low amount of TD passes had a lot to do with playcall & play design by McDaniels in the red zone & the lack of offensive weapons at TE & WR.

Edited by turtle28

On 1/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, turtle28 said:

Cam had 20 TDs, NOT 20 turnovers. Yes, Cam only had 8 passing TDs which again had a lot to with playcalling by McDaniels & lack of playmakers. Cam did have 12 rushing TDs though. He only had 11 turnovers, 10 ints & 1 lost fumble.

The weapons around Cam weren’t very good. Edelman by far the Pats best receiving option also missed 5 games. And again, Tom Brady struggled last year with this same group of weapons. Now look at Brady bc he has weapons in Tampa.

I would also say that if you watched NE games this year when they got inside the 10 yard line it was power run w/ Cam Newton or zone read with Cam keeping the ball a lot and scoring on rushing TDs.

When Cam got in the red zone, almost every down McDaniels would run the ball. When that happens the QB isn’t likely to have a lot of TD passes, so IMO the low amount of TD passes had a lot to do with playcall & play design by McDaniels in the red zone & the lack of offensive weapons at TE & WR.

ill take cam on the cheap if we have no other options