Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Iye7ar.gif

GIT 'EM DRE! BEAT 'EM LIKE HE WAS INNEGAN!

21 minutes ago, tab said:

SI report has been confirmed to me now that Easterby was probably the one annoying and pushing Hopkins out... this man is a cancer on our org and convinced our owner to get rid of the second best WR we were ever going to have. SMH.

• Like 1

Texans insiders said that former and current players were going to either speak up or something was gonna happen soon... also saw a video from I believe NFL This Morning or whatever that talk show that NFL network hosts where they were saying that organizations all across the league are beginning to question the Texans business practices. The Texan's competitive integrity is looking mighty disputed right now....

• Like 1

There was a caller on 610 - they called him Pastor Rick - he was a retired pastor, and he summed up the mindset of the current FO so well:

With Easterby/Cal - Culture is more important than winning football games.

- That's why you trade a guy such as DeAndre Hopkins away, in favor of culture guys like David Johnson.

- That's why you trade a guy like Jadevion Clowney away, then give Whitney Mercilius a very lucrative extension.

- That's why guys like Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu are free to walk in favor of Eric Murray.

Players who fit the culture > Players who win football games. It's that simple, and when you have a core group of guys who are here to win a SB (Watson, Watt, Tunsil) you're going to have significant conflict.

These things don't need to be mutually exclusive, you can strive to have both. However, this team believes you can't have one without another - and they're going backwards about it. You don't/can't build a culture and try to win games, you win games and let that success define your culture. That's literally how every sustainable dynasty achieved it.

Here's a stat for you - when introducing Nick Caserio, the word "culture" is used over 10 time in responses and statements. The word "Super Bowl" is used exactly... ZERO times. (And this is an introduction of a guy who was a part of six SBs - it wasn't even said in passing).

It's literally not on anyone's mind in ownership/FO - and that's pretty evident now. Only actions will convince me that they're interested in winning Super Bowls - which should be the only goal for ANY of these 32 franchises. Empty words (that are probably written by Easterby himself) mean NOTHING anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

There was a caller on 610 - they called him Pastor Rick - he was a retired pastor, and he summed up the mindset of the current FO so well:

With Easterby/Cal - Culture is more important than winning football games.

- That's why you trade a guy such as DeAndre Hopkins away, in favor of culture guys like David Johnson.

- That's why you trade a guy like Jadevion Clowney away, then give Whitney Mercilius a very lucrative extension.

- That's why guys like Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu are free to walk in favor of Eric Murray.

Players who fit the culture > Players who win football games. It's that simple, and when you have a core group of guys who are here to win a SB (Watson, Watt, Tunsil) you're going to have significant conflict.

These things don't need to be mutually exclusive, you can strive to have both. However, this team believes you can't have one without another - and they're going backwards about it. You don't/can't build a culture and try to win games, you win games and let that success define your culture. That's literally how every sustainable dynasty achieved it.

Here's a stat for you - when introducing Nick Caserio, the word "culture" is used over 10 time in responses and statements. The word "Super Bowl" is used exactly... ZERO times. (And this is an introduction of a guy who was a part of six SBs - it wasn't even said in passing).

It's literally not on anyone's mind in ownership/FO - and that's pretty evident now. Only actions will convince me that they're interested in winning Super Bowls - which should be the only goal for ANY of these 32 franchises. Empty words (that are probably written by Easterby himself) mean NOTHING anymore.

Isn't this the Patriot way when you think about it (or at least how it is perceived by some)? The system and culture is bigger then any player, just do your job and we'll win etc.

Sadly they are missing the most important ingredient, 2 portions of GOAT, for it to work.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Isn't this the Patriot way when you think about it (or at least how it is perceived by some)? The system and culture is bigger then any player, just do your job and we'll win etc.

Let's not forget, it took 20 years for that mantra to take form - they won, then they won another one, then that "do your job" catchphrase took flight. It isn't like Drew Bledsoe was espousing this while he was the starter...

To my original point - win first, let the winning define the culture. And, "win" doesn't mean division titles or a slew of 10-6 or better seasons; Get out there and win a damn Super Bowl.

I'm sure if you focused on that, you'd find that culture you're desperately trying to implement.

• Like 1

Another thing - this culture that's going on? The Patriot Way, where you "Do your job"? You know what that means to a megalomaniac like Jack Easterby?

Do whatever I tell you to do.

That's what it comes down to. Jack Easterby wants to control everything over on Kirby - both on and off the field. He wants to mold every player after his warped view as to what makes a valuable football player.

Jack Easterby seems to forget that Bill Belicheck made his name by property getting the most out of Lawrence Taylor, a true maniac and an actual crackhead. Easterby would turn away guys like Taylor, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, the entire 90s Cowboys team - just because his culture stands ahead of actually playing football.

This guy might actually be worse than Bill O'Brien (or on the same footing at least).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Let's not forget, it took 20 years for that mantra to take form - they won, then they won another one, then that "do your job" catchphrase took flight. It isn't like Drew Bledsoe was espousing this while he was the starter...

To my original point - win first, let the winning define the culture. And, "win" doesn't mean division titles or a slew of 10-6 or better seasons; Get out there and win a damn Super Bowl.

I'm sure if you focused on that, you'd find that culture you're desperately trying to implement.

I think team culture is a bit more complex then that. Winning a SB just makes you a winner once, it doesn't necessarily create a winning culture. When it comes to sports culture and winning I think the 30 for 30 about the Detroit Pistons in the late 80's is a great show to watch. It shows a team that had no culture, got a culture and then in the end lost it again. A good culture is about being accountable and doing the right thing the right way. If everybody is on board and the talent is there it will result in wins, which does indeed enforce to culture since it would be perceived to be working. 

Case in point that just saying Superbowl over and over isn't enough; pretty much any team that has been on hard knocks ever has this first team meeting that seems to boil down to the coach just saying Superbowl 20 times. Or the Eagles deamteam; all the best FA's on one team with one goal but still failing miserably. You can't deny scheme and culture wasn't a big reason why that didn't work out.

Just now, DutchFalcon said:

I think team culture is a bit more complex then that. 

Oh, I totally agree with this - it's very much of a layered process, but winning the big one is a major component to it.

There are plenty of teams who win one, get that layer and effectively watch that layer rot into nothing (Philly with Pederson). It's a fantastic building block to this point though.

5 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

A good culture is about being accountable and doing the right thing the right way.

But - as in many things, not just football - the best way to create a culture of accountability is to lead by example and demonstrate accountability. In the case of this particular organization, has anyone outside of players such as Watt or Watson done that yet? Not really. Own up to a series of bad decisions over the past 18 months (not for Easterby, that bridge is burned to a crisp in this city. Maybe Cal can win some good graces if he tries this).