Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Watson is requesting a 60 day extension on his deposition. So basically we are gonna have to trade him blindly or hold onto him longer

The courts backed up his deposition day, because their all of the 22 women haven’t finished giving their depositions.

From my understanding during Watsons deposition he can’t say anything and will plead the 5th on all questions. This is due to the on going criminal investigation. 

This thing will be drawn out a lot longer, but that’s the court system. It’s bogged up and backlogged. 

I do think we’re getting to a point where we trade him and it might not be for top dollar, but just get a trade done to get out of this mess and give it to another team. 

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

I do think we’re getting to a point where we trade him and it might not be for top dollar, but just get a trade done to get out of this mess and give it to another team. 

Agreed - if Caserio can get what the Lions got for Matt Stafford, that’s a significant victory. (And given that Stafford just won a SB with the Rams, other teams should consider it). Pittsburgh would be set up for a decade with Watson leading an offense with those WRs, Najee Harris and a TJ Watt/Minkah Fitzpatrick-led defense. (Pittsburgh has experience with QB with similar legal problems, too).

I also think the Texans should appeal the league to put Watson on the exempt list without salary owed - this is a very unprecedented situation, combining a trade demand such as this along with a legal situation. Caserio and Cal need to be on the phone with Roger Goodell and DeMaurice Smith daily to get from under this in ANY capacity, trades be damned.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Agreed - if Caserio can get what the Lions got for Matt Stafford, that’s a significant victory. (And given that Stafford just won a SB with the Rams, other teams should consider it). Pittsburgh would be set up for a decade with Watson leading an offense with those WRs, Najee Harris and a TJ Watt/Minkah Fitzpatrick-led defense. (Pittsburgh has experience with QB with similar legal problems, too).

I also think the Texans should appeal the league to put Watson on the exempt list without salary owed - this is a very unprecedented situation, combining a trade demand such as this along with a legal situation. Caserio and Cal need to be on the phone with Roger Goodell and DeMaurice Smith daily to get from under this in ANY capacity, trades be damned.

I mean Denver has young WRs, the Vikings have the offense already set  just need a QB

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blaze said:

Can someone smarter than me explain what all this Deshaun legal news from today means in simpler terms? 

A lot to unpack, but from what I gather this is what happened.

Watson’s lawyer Rusty Hardin asked if they could push back Watson’s depositions for the 22 cases to April 1. 

Some say he believes the criminal investigation being ran by HPD will be finished up by then. Rusty does have pretty good sources within HPD, his son works there. 

The judge for the civil suits that’s disposing everyone said Watson would have to give his depositions on the non criminal cases and that he can give his depositions for the cases that are being looked into for criminal charges at a later date. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

A lot to unpack, but from what I gather this is what happened.

Watson’s lawyer Rusty Hardin asked if they could push back Watson’s depositions for the 22 cases to April 1. 

Some say he believes the criminal investigation being ran by HPD will be finished up by then. Rusty does have pretty good sources within HPD, his son works there. 

The judge for the civil suits that’s disposing everyone said Watson would have to give his depositions on the non criminal cases and that he can give his depositions for the cases that are being looked into for criminal charges at a later date. 

Good summary + IMHO Hardin didn't want the depositions to impact the potential criminal cases

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/multiple-teams-would-trade-for-deshaun-watson-without-a-settlement-of-civil-cases/amp/

So - if teams are willing to let the criminal side play out and leave the civil cases where they are - this will probably increase his value and increase the number of suitors.

This being said, let’s hope Watson blows the NTC up and opens up the options. I’m getting tired of this guy, TBH.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/multiple-teams-would-trade-for-deshaun-watson-without-a-settlement-of-civil-cases/amp/

So - if teams are willing to let the criminal side play out and leave the civil cases where they are - this will probably increase his value and increase the number of suitors.

This being said, let’s hope Watson blows the NTC up and opens up the options. I’m getting tired of this guy, TBH.

This ultimately will hurt the players. Teams are going to be extremely hesitant to give out NTC's. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blaze said:

This ultimately will hurt the players. Teams are going to be extremely hesitant to give out NTC's. 

This is probably the last time a team will give someone an NTC. Someone in the Players’ Association should be talking to David Mugaletta about the precedent he’s setting with his client.

• Like 1