Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I’ve been following this story from a distance because i never really thought things would continue to get worse.  But with some of the recent developments it’s starting to look like it’s more likely he’s traded than not.  Do you guys think there’s any way to salvage watsons relationship with the Texans?  If so, how do they do that?

If they do trade him and go into a full rebuild/reset...what do you think it would take to get Tunsil from you guys?  Asking for the Bears.

Resign Fuller, fire Jack Easterby, sign Eric Bieniemy, retain Tim Kelly and probably make a move for Allen Robinson after we trade Watt. 

9 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Some see this as just straight click bait or Watsons agent floating these to force Cal to fire Easterby

I'd be fine if it's either of these - but I'd prefer it's Watson's agent pushing indirectly.

25 minutes ago, ACO said:

I agree with her. Right now everyone is on 100 and they should just cool down first. Let the HC search come to a close. Talk things over. This can be worked out. But they all have to want to work it out.

I agree - there's a middle ground to be had here, one that keeps Easterby/Cal away from Watson/(HC) and let's each side do what they do. Watson/(HC) work on football and Easterby/Cal do... Something, I don't know.

It's not ideal, but it's enough to get to the next day. Because it's one day at a time to recover from this.

It's been interesting seeing some of the external perspectives. Some (not all) are calling Watson spoiled or saying he's inserting himself where he doesn't belong, on decisions made by the business side or ownership.

What I think they fail to realize is that Watson isn't viewed that way at all by Texans fans, and that he's speaking the concerns of his teammates and the fanbase itself. Our inexperienced, naive owner is being played by a power hungry up-jumped chaplain, one that is happy to sow division and mistrust around the organization so long as it keeps him where was wants to be.

Never before has a chaplain in the NFL hired a high-powered agent, told a few tall tales about his experience, and suddenly started making executive decisions for the football side of a team. It's bizarre and unprecedented, mainly because nearly all NFL owners are savvy business people or are from a long family tradition in the NFL, and are good at spotting people like this. Cal is not, and ownership is the one position that's basically impossible to replace.

By all accounts Cal is a nice guy that's too trusting and in way over his head. I kind of feel bad for him, because he was thrust into his current role without an experienced hand to guide him. So he found Easterby the smooth-talking preacher, happy to use Cal's religion to his advantage. Much to the chagrin of everyone in the Texans' orbit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CBears019 said:

If they do trade him and go into a full rebuild/reset...what do you think it would take to get Tunsil from you guys?  Asking for the Bears.

FRP+.  Not sure how you don't ask for the moon for him.  For the team acquiring him, you're going to get him for a very reasonable $16.2M cap hit which would be 7th highest cap hit amongst OTs.

Jets 2nd overall pick (on a trade value chart, that's the equivalent to 2 top 10 1st rounders) and our 1st next year for Watson?

That's in essence trading you 3 1st rounders for Watson. And guarantees you guys able to get a QB you like at 2 (whether that be Fields or Wilson). And continue a rebuild with an additional 1st next year to rebuild.

Thoughts? The list of teams that can offer you this, that have the money for Watson and that he'd waive his no trade clause for, is small keep in mind. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jets 2nd overall pick (on a trade value chart, that's the equivalent to 2 top 10 1st rounders) and our 1st next year for Watson?

That's in essence trading you 3 1st rounders for Watson

DVC value doesn't really mean much in this trade - the actual picks trump the perceived value. 

The DVC also dictates that 1st next season is actually valued as a 2nd right now, so it's still not three 1st rounders.

So, it's going to have to be a lot more.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's in essence trading you 3 1st rounders for Watson. And guarantees you guys able to get a QB you like at 2 (whether that be Fields or Wilson). And continue a rebuild with an additional 1st next year to rebuild.

Thoughts? The list of teams that can offer you this, that have the money for Watson and that he'd waive his no trade clause for, is small keep in mind. 

No thanks. I’d let Watson sit out the season first. 

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

DVC value doesn't really mean much in this trade - the actual picks trump the perceived value. 

The DVC also dictates that 1st next season is actually valued as a 2nd right now, so it's still not three 1st rounders.

So, it's going to have to be a lot more.

I hear ya. I get that HOU has all the leverage bc he's under contract for awhile. But I do think the fact remains that you guys just wont get the return you think he's worth. Us and MIA are really the only teams that can put a good package together for him. And neither is throwing 4 1st rounders or something at HOU for Watson. So I think its either play hardball with Watson and actually see if he holds out. Or you guys will have to accept a trade around this caliber. Jermeiah (a Jets reporter) has said he think we might offer a 2023 1st as well. And that's our max. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I hear ya. I get that HOU has all the leverage bc he's under contract for awhile. But I do think the fact remains that you guys just wont get the return you think he's worth.

I fully understand that, but I also see a circumstance where the Texans call Watson on this, make him actually say "trade me or I sit" (which, you know - he hasn't said yet).

If he sits in '21 (highly unlikely given the lost salary, bonuses, medical, vested year towards retirement, etc) then you reassess while (most likely) sitting on the #1 pick. At that point, you're probably drafting somebody who will replace him, and who knows which teams have the resources or need for Watson.

The Texans are absolutely in the drivers' seat - and if reports are true and Watson was actively involved in interviews with Eric Bienemy yesterday - playing the long game is vital. The Texans have absolutely no incentive to move quickly on this, and the Texans have to play this pretty hard with all parties - teams and Watson alike - if they want to win.