Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

i need 3 firsts and a player minimum, if i were even in the mood to entertain a trade

like Watson cost us a 12th overall and a 4th overall, and i'm going to need a lot more than that now that we know how good he really is

Edited by tab
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tab said:

i need 3 firsts and a player minimum, if i were even in the mood to entertain a trade

I punt to next off-season. If Watson stands his ground, he'll sit out. He stands to lose a lot of money and - most importantly - let down a lot of people he loves and respects in that locker room. Everything we've seen about him tells me that's not in his nature. Sitting out of TC seems like a stretch, TBH - guy is a workaholic.

Time is on the Texans side with this. Deshaun Watson is worth as much now as he is next season, so why rush anything? Do what you can to salvage everything - up to and including surrounding Watson with people he wants (Bienemy, Kelly, etc). Call in Team Captains such as Larmey Tunsil to see if he could get Watson back in sync.

Fire Easterby, of course.

• Like 4

I cant see Watson sitting out though. If he really cares about 'lost years' then theres no bigger waste than sitting out a season. I really hope we retain Will Fuller because I cant see him sitting on the sidelines with Fuller playing for us

Our draft position for 2022 improves drastically either way if he sits/is traded

• Like 1

Separating myself from the emotions a bit, I think it's important to take into account, when analyzing the situation, who has leverage.

Right here and now, when the Texans don't have a head coach yet is when Deshaun Watson has the most leverage. And he knows, if he wants to implement change in the organization, his best move is to make as much noise as possible to force the Texans to accommodate him in the one position remaining that can truly bring a culture shift. The minute the Texans think he isn't willing to pull the trigger, he loses, so it's in his best interest to keep the pot at as close to boiling over as possible. If he's already resigned to leaving the team, whoever the next head coach is meaningless to him, so there's no point to keep holding the trade request card in his hand. But by keeping the threat there - by putting external pressure from the media and the fans on the organization - he's closest to getting what he wants. And if he doesn't get it? Well, he can always pull the trigger.

Because once he requests the trade, he also loses a lot of leverage. Sure, he can control which team he wants to go through his no-trade clause, but as people have noted, the Texans can mostly eat his salary cap hit next season, and so I think the most likely situation if he holds out is that he ends up stuck here during the offseason. If anything, I'd bet money that the Texans wait until the season itself, waiting for a team that's relatively competitive but uncertain in their quarterback position and with a head coach/GM who can feel their seat getting warmer, especially if they don't manage to make the playoffs - something like the Bears this year - who crack under pressure and give up a king's ransom to get Deshaun Watson to put them over the top and hopefully save their jobs. But in the interim, Deshaun's left like a flag waving on a pole, hoping that a team he likes is willing to put enough on the table that Houston's willing to give him up.

In the end, the best position for Watson to be in right now is to be seen as being on the brink of forcing a trade. I don't think it's any coincidence that's exactly where he is.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

Separating myself from the emotions a bit, I think it's important to take into account, when analyzing the situation, who has leverage.

Right here and now, when the Texans don't have a head coach yet is when Deshaun Watson has the most leverage. And he knows, if he wants to implement change in the organization, his best move is to make as much noise as possible to force the Texans to accommodate him in the one position remaining that can truly bring a culture shift. The minute the Texans think he isn't willing to pull the trigger, he loses, so it's in his best interest to keep the pot at as close to boiling over as possible. If he's already resigned to leaving the team, whoever the next head coach is meaningless to him, so there's no point to keep holding the trade request card in his hand. But by keeping the threat there - by putting external pressure from the media and the fans on the organization - he's closest to getting what he wants. And if he doesn't get it? Well, he can always pull the trigger.

Because once he requests the trade, he also loses a lot of leverage. Sure, he can control which team he wants to go through his no-trade clause, but as people have noted, the Texans can mostly eat his salary cap hit next season, and so I think the most likely situation if he holds out is that he ends up stuck here during the offseason. If anything, I'd bet money that the Texans wait until the season itself, waiting for a team that's relatively competitive but uncertain in their quarterback position and with a head coach/GM who can feel their seat getting warmer, especially if they don't manage to make the playoffs - something like the Bears this year - who crack under pressure and give up a king's ransom to get Deshaun Watson to put them over the top and hopefully save their jobs. But in the interim, Deshaun's left like a flag waving on a pole, hoping that a team he likes is willing to put enough on the table that Houston's willing to give him up.

In the end, the best position for Watson to be in right now is to be seen as being on the brink of forcing a trade. I don't think it's any coincidence that's exactly where he is.

Fantastic response - this really lines up and makes a ton of sense.

I'm actually going to share this in Gen, if you don't mind. 

I saw someone a hypothetical trade with the jets of Mekhi Becton, pick 2 and pick 23 for Watson. 

man that would give us bookend tackles. We could move Howard to guard. We could draft a QB a 2 and pick up a CB at 23 or trade back for multiple seconds. Would be a really good trade for us. 

also saw picks 3 and 18 plus Xavien Howard for Watson. Draft a QB at 3 and a lineman at 18. 

those would be the only type deals I’d consider. 

23 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So is it confirmed that Watson was in on interviews with HC candidates?

also we are denying people permission to interview Tim Kelly. I suspect that means we have thoughts of hiring a defensive coach and keeping kelly

Gave us the best passing offense in Houston Texans history, if we had this kind of pass with DW in 2012 we'd be SB champs. 

Just need to hope EB can help him when it comes to scheming run plays and hopefully bring in a run game coordinator worth anything.