Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not yet - and I doubt he gets kicked out. Tyreek Hill is still in the league...

Talent wins out.

Barring criminal conviction I agree 100%. 

Hindsight being 20/20 how much better it would have been to just pay the 100k on the condition of a NDA and a non admission of culpability. Likely wouldn't have seen any other suits pop up. Of course "if" you are innocent of the allegations that is a hard pill to swallow. I have seen first hand many people caught red handed who refuse to admit their wrong doings. Sex offenses being at the top of the list.  

Edited by Phinsesq

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Criminal charges were filed last Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/02/houston-police-department-announces-investigation-of-deshaun-watson/

Ashley Solis also announced yesterday that she's filling with HPD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/06/deshaun-watson-ashley-solis-massage-therapist-houston/

So, this is a criminal matter as well as a civil matter now.

How long do you think it’ll be before the NFL gets involved and puts him on the Commissioner List? 

49 minutes ago, Xenos said:

How long do you think it’ll be before the NFL gets involved and puts him on the Commissioner List? 

the list is for game purposes... i think. so probably late july or august

The NFL had the following statement yesterday;

"The allegations are deeply disturbing and we take these issues very seriously. Immediately following news of the first allegations last month, and as has been reported, we initiated an investigation under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. We are continuing to closely monitor all developments in the matter."

I don't think the NFL is looking to move quickly...

Nike suspended Deshaun’s endorsement deal and Beats terminated their deal with him.

I am really just shocked at how little has come from Hardin and Watson in response to everything brought to light so far. It makes me think they really have no response to it because it all happened. The responses they have given (getting 20 masseuses to say he acted appropriately, saying one accuser tried to extort them, and that Ashley Solis asked for a settlement of 100k) doesn’t disprove any of the claims.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

So with Buzzbee implicating people within the organization, does that make the firing of the equipment manager make a little more sense possibly? 

I'd say that would be worse - those firings happened before the allegations. That would imply the Texans knew of wrongdoing and did not take appropriate action. Sure, terminate a guy, but nothing else? That's bad.

Owners have been forced to sell for things like that. That... would be a nice consolation prize.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Criminal charges were filed last Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/02/houston-police-department-announces-investigation-of-deshaun-watson/

Ashley Solis also announced yesterday that she's filling with HPD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/06/deshaun-watson-ashley-solis-massage-therapist-houston/

So, this is a criminal matter as well as a civil matter now.

An investigation is not the same thing as bringing criminal charges against someone. It is the first step though. 

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd say that would be worse - those firings happened before the allegations. That would imply the Texans knew of wrongdoing and did not take appropriate action. Sure, terminate a guy, but nothing else? That's bad.

Owners have been forced to sell for things like that. That... would be a nice consolation prize.

I agree it would be worse. It could be that they knew he was shady but didn’t have any proof but it doesn’t look good 

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

1 hour ago, tab said:

the list is for game purposes... i think. so probably late july or august

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

An investigation is not the same thing as bringing criminal charges against someone. It is the first step though. 

To date, no player has been put on the Commissioner list unless criminal charges are laid, damning video evidence appears (Hunt), or the NFL investigation completes.  If the police investigation doesn't lead to charges, then it's probably in limbo until the NFL investigation is complete, and it's unlikely that's happening quickly (nor should it).

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To date, no player has been put on the Commissioner list unless criminal charges are laid, damning video evidence appears (Hunt), or the NFL investigation completes. 

While this is the case, it doesn't mean it CAN'T happen. Here's the definition of the list, per the NFL:

https://www.nfl.com/news/what-is-the-reserve-commissioner-exempt-list-0ap3000000725141

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

As you can see, it's ambiguous in nature. Nobody really knows what drives "unusual circumstances"... except the Commissioner. 

This isn't Ben Roethlensberger or Antonio Brown - neither had victim counts going into the 20s. That's... unusual, IMO (but, I'm not the commish).

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Fair, but with the way this is escalating (it hasn't even been a month since Tony Buzbee posted his first salvo on Instagram) if there's anything to charge... It'll happen fast.