Deshaun Watson

hrubes20

33 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Three first round picks plus. IMO. 

I doubt It happens, people are assuming Miami wants to trade for Watson, He is talented but not worth the Capital it would take to acquire him. If Houston is/becomes desperate to move him It could be interesting. I’m a proponent of building around Tua via the draft and FA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I doubt It happens, people are assuming Miami wants to trade for Watson, He is talented but not worth the Capital it would take to acquire him. If Houston is/becomes desperate to move him It could be interesting. I’m a proponent of building around Tua via the draft and FA. 

Counter point: Watson is twice the QB now that Tua will likely ever be and is only 25. In another two seasons, Miami may be replacing Tua either way. I doubt he is traded, but if Watson gets traded, he'll be the best QB traded in his prone in at least twenty years. This is an outlier of a situation, contract be damned.

If it takes Tua, pick 3 and a 2022 1st, I'm running to take that deal. $0.02.

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Counter point: Watson is twice the QB now that Tua will likely ever be and is only 25. In another two seasons, Miami may be replacing Tua either way. I doubt he is traded, but if Watson gets traded, he'll be the best QB traded in his prone in at least twenty years. This is an outlier of a situation, contract be damned.

I believe it is far more likely the WFT makes a play for him. More cap space than Miami (which is supposed to decrease in 2021), NFC as opposed to AFC. A legit No 1 WR in place and pretty good supporting weapons. 

If Houston is demanding extra compensation (1st rounders), I would tell them to go pound sand.  Everyone is trying to act like Tua has already demonstrated that he's not a top tier QB.  Well that's a bunch of bs.  Judging any QB after one shortened season is dumb.  Give him some weapons and the offense could really pick up.  Let Watson go to Washington, that sounds like an interesting destination with some good young talent.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm with you on that last point, but I'd add that it is a bit early to get on board with your first statement. Tua may never be the QB that Deshaun is, but I'm still hopeful that he will be very damn good. 

You're right thought the opportunity to acquire a QB like Watson is so rare and considering his salary (deserved and I'd be fine Miami taking it on), the turmoil within their organization and his leverage, he'll be as cheap, from a trade perspective, as a QB of his talent probably ever will be. There is a very small number of QBs I'd want in Miami over Tua right now, and he is one of them. 

Final note, I'm certain that our FO is capable of handling this entire off season well and particularly this specific scenario.  Probably hadn't felt that way about many Dolphins FO's before and certainly can't say that about many other organizations in the NFL right now. It's a good time to be a Dolphins fan. 

4 minutes ago, phinsforlife said:

Miami enters next season as a Super Bowl contender with Deshaun Watson on its roster, no?

I think the answer is yes, which means you try and find a deal that works, if you can. 

Certainly a playoff contender but a Super Bowl contender? Eh, no - who's he throwing to? Our team has a ton of holes to address... at the end of the day, we got to 10-6 due to disciplined coaching, primarily.

While it would probably make us better in 2021 to trade Tua and our two firsts plus whatever else for Watson, it's likely not in our best long-term interests. We need to build this team the right way... taking short-cuts does not lead to building a perennial contender.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Certainly a playoff contender but a Super Bowl contender? Eh, no - who's he throwing to? Our team has a ton of holes to address... at the end of the day, we got to 10-6 due to disciplined coaching, primarily.

While it would probably make us better in 2021 to trade Tua and our two firsts plus whatever else for Watson, it's likely not in our best long-term interests. We need to build this team the right way... taking short-cuts does not lead to building a perennial contender.

This is where I'm at as well.  I absolutely love Watson's game.  Dude is terrific.  But I am an unabashed Tua believer.  I truly do believe he's lefty Drew Brees once you get an OC that understands what plays to call for his strengths, and once he gets even one receiver that can get separation.  Would I trade Drew Brees (on a rookie contrat), plus an elite prospect at #3 overall, plus a day 1 starter at #18 overall, plus at least a rotational starter with the '22 1st round pick for 4 really expensive years of admittedly terrific Deshaun Watson?  Pretty easy call for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phinsforlife said:

Miami enters next season as a Super Bowl contender with Deshaun Watson on its roster, no?

I think the answer is yes, which means you try and find a deal that works, if you can. 

No. We are not close with our current roster. We overachieved in the main.

we need at least 3 wide receivers a running back and a Centre on offensively and a edge rusher , DT, LB and S on defence.

now we can get a lot of that through draft and also take advantage in free agency again with our current cap space. 

3 hours ago, phinsforlife said:

Not to pile on here, but there is simply no way Miami has a super bowl caliber roster even if they acquired Watson.

No top notch WRs.

No top notch RBs.

O-line still needs some help.

LBs need help.

We need to hold on to all our picks and use them wisely.  Let Tua develop into whatever he can be and give him some damn weapons in the passing game.

I don’t expect our Front Office to make a serious play for Watson because of the high cost that the Texans will demand, but it’s fun to speculate what our Offense could look like with:

QB Deshaun Watson (trade)

WR Will Fuller (unrestricted free agent)

Coordinator Bill O’Brien (worked with Flores before as OC of Pats)

27 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I don’t expect our Front Office to make a serious play for Watson because of the high cost that the Texans will demand, but it’s fun to speculate what our Offense could look like with:

QB Deshaun Watson (trade)

WR Will Fuller (unrestricted free agent)

Coordinator Bill O’Brien (worked with Flores before as OC of Pats)

O’Brien intrigues me but I can’t fathom how an offensively minded coach would give away Hopkins.