Favorite Halloween Movies

RavensTillIDie

Love Psycho. The original. 

Watched the remake for the first time last week and my god I don't even know where to begin but it shouldn't have ever been remade in the first place I just can't believe everything about it. 

Also the Original Omen as previously mentioned are two of my favs. 

• 2 weeks later...

So for fun, I put together my own personal 13 Nights of Halloween. Ive been thinking of making this a tradition for a few years now, and Finally have my collection to where I can put it together. I know this isnt all the best Horror movies, or the Most Iconic Halloween Monsters, but you cant just go all scare and gore, you've gotta switch it up with 13 straight nights. This list could have been 50 Films long, but this is how I set up my Halloween season;

• 10/19 - Scream: My personal favorite horror movie of all time is the only way to kick start this event. Possibly the most self aware movie done correctly, a tight story with great twists and it gets better for me every single time I watch it
  • 10/20 - Ghostbusters: Not one that is usally top of mind when speaking of Halloween or Horror movies, but its such a classic with the ghost/supernatural element that it should be talked about more, some good laughs before we get too serious
  • 10/21 - The Shining: No laughs here, just great physiological horror, with possibly one of the most mentally terrifying scenes (elevator of blood) in all of the genre films. When you add in the conspiracy theory element (which I love to look into) I usually need a shower after, then a viewing of Room 237
  • 10/22 - Hocus Pocus: One that this thread has proven is a bit of a hidden Halloween Classic. SJP's best (and possibly only good) performance, this one pulls at those nostalgia strings and is actually quite enjoyable
  • 10/23 - Trick r Treat: A pretty messed up new classic for horror. This bloody anthology is a bit of a cult classic still, but I think it will be one of the movies that will grow each Halloween season.
  • 10/24 - Young Frankenstein: Not much about this movie screams Halloween, but the original Frankenstein is a tough watch sometimes, and with this version we get some great laughs and gags. I enjoyed going back to it this season
  • 10/25 - The Exorcist: The True Incarnation of evil in a film. Doesnt matter that its all movie magic, most of this movie still scares me today, and what doesnt scare me creeps me out. Especially living so close to where the True Story this is based upon happened.
  • 10/26 - Beetlejuice: Honestly, this was a hard pick, But I knew I needed to lighten it up a bit. Thought about going with one of the classic movie monsters, possibly The Adams Family, and almost got talked into Practical Magic, but the weirdness and creepiness of Beetlejuice still does it for me.
  • 10/27 - The Blair Witch Project: Its still amazing how they kept this under wraps as long as they did, and how much people believed it. But honestly if you arent in the mood to be scared, this can just be a silly trek through the woods watching it today. But that ending, in the corner, still scares the crap out of me. (try watching it and thinking that Josh & Mike are setting up to kill Heather, puts a whole new spin on it)
  • 10/28 - IT (2017): Maybe I went back to the theater to see it, you dont know (ok, you probably know) Best horror movie of the year, a great adaptation of the book, and to me an instant classic. Tim Curry is always a genius (tried to squeeze Clue in this list) but this version of Pennywise is disturbing on a whole new level.
  • 10/29 - The Thing: Possibly the only Horror movie that ever has a chance to knock Scream out of my Top Spot. I just love everything Kurt Russell, and he really makes this movie (that is already built ontop of a stellar cast and amazing VFX for the time) great and among the all time best. 
  • 10/30 - Cabin in the Woods: How can a movie be so clever and so scary all at the same time? I mean it works in every Horror movie trope, and then just takes a dump on Horror nerds (in the most respectful way possible) at the end.
  • 10/31 - Halloween: Is there really anything else that can be the movie for All Hallows Eve? The original is just a great film that took the slasher to the highest level, and one of the reasons that we have reverence for this entire genre today. The Shape is still one of the most terrifying thoughts in all of horror (before they tried to give him a full background)

Would love to know what you guys would swap out for some of these. With 9 truly scary movies, a few comedies and another Halloween classic or two, I feel like this was a pretty well rounded list. Others in strong consideration; Poltergeist, Psycho, SAW, Evil Dead 2, The Decent, Drag Me to Hell, The Adams Family, Friday the 13th, A nightmare on Elm Street, It Follows.

Archived