2021 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

20 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I wish we would switch back to a 4-3 defense. Always been my favorite defense.

I mean, we spend as much time in a 4-3 front as we do a 3-4 front.  The defense we actually use the most is a dime defense.

But yeah, as bad as we were against the run last year, we should definitely be doing more 4-3.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, we spend as much time in a 4-3 front as we do a 3-4 front.  The defense we actually use the most is a dime defense.

But yeah, as bad as we were against the run last year, we should definitely be doing more 4-3.

well, we probably need more than 2 DTs if we want to do that. i literally don't even know who we have behind simmons and autry right now. tart and....?

13 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

well, we probably need more than 2 DTs if we want to do that. i literally don't even know who we have behind simmons and autry right now. tart and....?

Murchison, for now.  I assume we're adding another DL in the draft at some point.

I liked the Murchison pick, but he didn't really show much yet, so more talent is definitely needed.

15 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this film review of amani hooker is such a staggering indictment of our defensive scheme lol. jesus

Yeah why have Hooker be FS and Byard in the box. I don't know this guy or his data, but just the clips he showed were stupid of the Titans. Unless Byard has regressed speed wise and they don't feel like he can plan middle. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah why have Hooker be FS and Byard in the box. I don't know this guy or his data, but just the clips he showed were stupid of the Titans. Unless Byard has regressed speed wise and they don't feel like he can plan middle. 

This is a very goddamn good question.

If the dude's numbers are correct, then Jesus Christ, what are they even thinking?

It’s why I didn’t want to sacrifice offensive talent. I have no faith in Vrabel and Bowen to utilize personnel correctly on defense. None. I’m not even sure the defense will actually be more talented next year, but even if it is, it’s not going to be talented enough to overcome that dynamic coaching duo.

My only hope for a fun/good football team involves having an elite offense. And hoping that another year where the offense carries the lifeless corpse of a defense to the playoffs is enough to either get Vrabel to hand control to an actual defensive coordinator or to replace his stubborn *** with someone that will.

5 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I was a Barmore guy for most of the offseason but because the way things played out via free agency and releases, Barmore really can’t be the pick anymore

I wouldn’t mind “Snacks” as a depth piece on the line at all

Barmore should definitely still be in play.... If Horn and Surtain are gone, the pick is wide open. It’s a deep WR draft a I don’t think they’ll take an edge in the 1st with the addition of Dupree. As much as people complain about edge rushers, interior is just as important and we were equally as horrible there. Autry helps but outside of him and Simmons(still raw as a rusher), we have no one one. This draft sucks as far interior rushers so you better grab one early. 

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It’s why I didn’t want to sacrifice offensive talent. I have no faith in Vrabel and Bowen to utilize personnel correctly on defense. None. I’m not even sure the defense will actually be more talented next year, but even if it is, it’s not going to be talented enough to overcome that dynamic coaching duo.

My only hope for a fun/good football team involves having an elite offense. And hoping that another year where the offense carries the lifeless corpse of a defense to the playoffs is enough to either get Vrabel to hand control to an actual defensive coordinator or to replace his stubborn *** with someone that will.

See, I'm hoping that if the defense underperforms again, it kills Vrabel's ability to control the defense.  Vrabel is a good player coach.  He's a good head coach, seemingly.  But he is a terrible defensive anything.  I don't want to be hunting a new staff so much as I just want Vrabel to stay out of the defense.

We kind of saw last year what the Titans' ceiling is with an elite offense and nothing else.  Can we make a deep playoff run with no defense?  Yes, but it's not likely.  We can't afford hiccups.  That's the whole strength of a well rounded team.  If one part hiccups, the other can make the difference.

We'll see.  Maybe Bowen will be better his second year after he saw what he was doing in 2020 wasn't working.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Barmore should definitely still be in play.... If Horn and Surtain are gone, the pick is wide open. It’s a deep WR draft a I don’t think they’ll take an edge in the 1st with the addition of Dupree. As much as people complain about edge rushers, interior is just as important and we were equally as horrible there. Autry helps but outside of him and Simmons(still raw as a rusher), we have no one one. This draft sucks as far interior rushers so you better grab one early. 

Barmore isn't my highest rated DL, but yeah, I don't see why a DL wouldn't be in play.  An edge either.  Sure, we added Dupree, but we have Landry, Dupree, and nothing else.  Not even any mid-round younger players, or promising UDFAs.

As it is, both spots are super shallow, and need depth.  The number three guy in either group will get a lot of playing time, and right now, neither looks good (Teair Tart vs. Derrick Roberson) , and both need help.  But you're right about it being a deeper edge class than DL class.  I just hope if the two top CBs are gone, they trade down before grabbing anything in the front seven.  Good guys like Nixon, Tryon, Ossai, or Basham will be available way later than 22, so it'd be kind of a waste to take them that early.

For me OLB is still in play at 22

Landry and Dupree are more than fine 

But it’s time to add depth to that position 

If we added Phillips to that group I would be happy 

I would still add a veteran as well

We need more than 3 guys active on gameday and need a legit rotation of guys