Around the NFL - PLAYOFFS?

Texas_OutLaw7

2 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

In those 5 or 6 games before Dak got hurt what did the #1 offense in football record look like?? How many of those games were they having to make incredible comebacks just to be in the game?? Yes the defense was terrible but the offense constantly giving up the ball only made it worse. 

Yes Zeke fumbled a lot and dropped passes

7 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

In those 5 or 6 games before Dak got hurt what did the #1 offense in football record look like?? How many of those games were they having to make incredible comebacks just to be in the game?? Yes the defense was terrible but the offense constantly giving up the ball only made it worse. 

5 games:

1. Rams was a never more than a 4 point game. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  2. Cowboys got down big early against the Falcons, mainly due to 4 fumbles, 3 lost. It was a 5 point game going into the 4th. Fair to call incredible comeback.
  3. Seahawks we were down by 2 points with 13 seconds left in the half. Down by 1 point in the 3rd. Took the lead in the 4th. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  4. CLE - We led in the 1st QRT. Stomped second quarter (Zeke fumbled, again). Made it a 3 point game by the 4th. Choked it all away at the end. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  5. NYG we got down early in the first. Lead by halftime. Was driving into the Redzone in the 3rd to take a bigger lead when Dak got hurt. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK

So your answer is 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

5 games:

1. Rams was a never more than a 4 point game. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  2. Cowboys got down big early against the Falcons, mainly due to 4 fumbles, 3 lost. It was a 5 point game going into the 4th. Fair to call incredible comeback.
  3. Seahawks we were down by 2 points with 13 seconds left in the half. Down by 1 point in the 3rd. Took the lead in the 4th. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  4. CLE - We led in the 1st QRT. Stomped second quarter (Zeke fumbled, again). Made it a 3 point game by the 4th. Choked it all away at the end. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK
  5. NYG we got down early in the first. Lead by halftime. Was driving into the Redzone in the 3rd to take a bigger lead when Dak got hurt. NO INCREDIBLE COMEBACK

So your answer is 1

How was the Brown’s game, for example, anything short of “an incredible comeback just to be in the game”? We were down 27 points in the 4th quarter before making it a 3 point game. That feels very divorced from reality.

But regardless, to me the narrative is: With Dak, Kellen Moore was able to overcome ridiculous team fumbling issues, dropped passes,_ and the worst field position in football the make games competitive. With mediocre QB play, and an OL in shambles, he led an offense that was quite competent. Any way you slice it, he’s a rising star. Keeping him is clearly not a mistake.

26 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

How was the Brown’s game, for example, anything short of “an incredible comeback just to be in the game”? We were down 27 points in the 4th quarter before making it a 3 point game. That feels very divorced from reality.

Cant be a "comeback" if we choked it all away pathetically the last 6 minutes, imo. I guess i'd call it "an incredible made it close for 10 seconds after getting destroyed in the 2nd and 3rd qrt". 

26 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

But regardless, to me the narrative is: With Dak, Kellen Moore was able to overcome ridiculous team fumbling issues, dropped passes,_ and the worst field position in football the make games competitive. With mediocre QB play, and an OL in shambles, he led an offense that was quite competent. Any way you slice it, he’s a rising star. Keeping him is clearly not a mistake.

Agreed. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Cant be a "comeback" if we choked it all away pathetically the last 6 minutes, imo. I guess i'd call it "an incredible made it close for 10 seconds after getting destroyed in the 2nd and 3rd qrt". 

Buddy’s quote that you responded to:

“having to make incredible comebacks just to be in the game

We certainly made a habit early in the season of falling behind by double digits, but getting back to the point of the game being winning or in the 4th quarter. Seahawks, Falcons, and Browns all have 95%+ win probabilities well into the second half, before we put the outcomes in question. 

49 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Buddy’s quote that you responded to:

“having to make incredible comebacks just to be in the game

We certainly made a habit early in the season of falling behind by double digits, but getting back to the point of the game being winning or in the 4th quarter. Seahawks, Falcons, and Browns all have 95%+ win probabilities well into the second half, before we put the outcomes in question. 

Fair enough. @buddy_z34 => 2 of the 5 games. 

When I think of comebacks I typically think 3+ scores and you have a legit chance of winning the game in the final minutes. I dont think getting down 2 scores in the first qrt is a comeback. That happens in more than 50% of all games played, I would guess.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Fair enough. @buddy_z34 => 2 of the 5 games. 

When I think of comebacks I typically think 3+ scores and you have a legit chance of winning the game in the final minutes. I dont think getting down 2 scores in the first qrt is a comeback. That happens in more than 50% of all games played, I would guess.

The Cowboys were in 5 games where they had a 2+ score deficit at some point, but came back to have a 40%+ chance to win in the final minutes.

4 of them were in the first five weeks of the season. Those weren’t run-of-the-mill games. We were falling behind and clawing their way back, regularly. It’s not some weird opinion to feel that way. Just about every Cowboys fan in the world other than you felt that reality in real time.

8 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The Cowboys were in 5 games where they had a 2+ score deficit at some point, but came back to have a 40%+ chance to win in the final minutes.

As I said: 

I dont think getting down 2 scores in the first qrt is a comeback. That happens in more than 50% of all games played, I would guess.

8 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

4 of them were in the first five weeks of the season. Those weren’t run-of-the-mill games. We were falling behind and clawing their way back, regularly. It’s not some weird opinion to feel that way. Just about every Cowboys fan in the world other than you felt that reality in real time.

Still, to the point of Buddys initial concern, virtually none of that was the offenses fault outside of Zeke. Zeke and the Defense were horrific. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

As I said: 

I dont think getting down 2 scores in the first qrt is a comeback. That happens in more than 50% of all games played, I would guess.

Getting down 2 scores and making it close in the end is the comeback part.

Let’s even say you are right, and it happens in 50% of NFL games that a team goes up 2 scores early but the game is close late (I say no chance that’s the true number, but for just for argument’s sake).

That means that the average NFL team falls behind by 2 scores and claws back 25% of the time (and 25% of the time, the average team is up 2 scores, and blows it).

Cowboys fell behind and clawed back 80% of the time through the first 5 games of the season.

I agree with your bottom line. I just don’t really understand this weird narrative you want to push.