NFL uniforms aren't what they used to be (and that's a good thing)

pf9

I love how NFL uniforms have evolved over the last several decades. The Chargers have three different color uniforms now for example. Still there are currently some jersey and pant colors that are not in use by certain teams, though some of them may have been used in the past.

I feel NFL teams should have a jersey and pants color for every color their team uses. And many currently out-of-use throwbacks could be put back in use depending on the helmet rule being changed, which would also lead to more modern helmets with different colors.

This could lead to such things as Pittsburgh having an all-yellow get-up (even if the helmet remains black), the Raiders having an all-silver get up (used in road games, and possibly when hosting the Cowboys - silver would be light, thus the Cowboys would be forced to wear their unlucky blue jerseys), Packers with their jerseys and pants both being green on occasion, and even a red version of the Patriots' current uniform (which would harken back to the pre-Kraft era).

We wouldn't have all these possibilities if it weren't for Nike outfitting the Oregon Ducks with so many possible combos (thanks to Phil Knight, company founder being a UO alum), and Nike currently makes NFL uniforms. Oregon set the modern standard for football uniforms, and more teams at all levels should follow in their wake.

As an Oregon fan, I'm against this wholeheartedly. We've had some God awful abominations. 

The day the Browns trot out an all orange or all brown get up to play the all "action green" Seahawks or the all aqua blue Dolphins play the all teal Jaguars, I will quit watching football.

The Rams vs Cardinals "mustard v ketchup" game was embarrassingly tough to watch.

• Like 2

I do think we'll start to see a further break in uni designs, the NFL has gotten way more lax the last couple years.
And allegedly the helmet rule will be changed this year or amended to being at least two shells.

I think there is way more room for exploration, would like to see them go the route the NBA has done where they bring back throwbacks or create unique designs for each city/team.
I find just using an auxiliary or secondary color in a swapped monotone look to be typically ugly, so hope they try a little harder.
We are going to get a 17th game next year, and an 18th one isn't far off. More games to go with different looks and not it water down your core identity.

We've seen also teams are using alternate looks to explore a new design that they later adapt to a full home/away/alt set, like the Pats did this past year.

Like for the Eagles, I'd like to see they do a Reggie White era throwback or Harold Carmichael era one. But I'd also like to see them have a new take on the branding.
If it bombs, so what..they can get a different one in a year or two. If it pops maybe they finally move on for the late 90s with our current look.

Just now, Forge said:

Nba gets like 150 million a year from it? Nhl caved and are putting ads on this year (they also sold the naming rights to the divisions).

That's good money to be had... Huge companies would be lining up to get their logos on NFL jerseys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nba gets like 150 million a year from it? Nhl caved and are putting ads on this year (they also sold the naming rights to the divisions).

Namig rights for the divisions would be classic:

Caeser's AFC West

SpaceX NFC West

Kraft AFC North

Culver's NFC North

Dollywood AFC South

Coca-Cola NFC South

Chase Bank AFC East

Charmin NFC East

• Like 1