Which punt was worse

bigbadbuff

Which was worse?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse?

• Vrabel
    • Tomlin

Vrabel was down 4 when he punted, but his was worse. There was less time and they were at the Ravens 40 - plus the Titans defense isn't good while the Steelers D is one of the best - while I wouldn't have done it, I can at least understand the logic - Steelers D could have scored or gotten a turnover.

33 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Vrabel was down 4 when he punted, but his was worse. There was less time and they were at the Ravens 40 - plus the Titans defense isn't good while the Steelers D is one of the best - while I wouldn't have done it, I can at least understand the logic - Steelers D could have scored or gotten a turnover.

yeah i mean, i would say basically never punt from the opp 40.

how about both were terrible

I think Tomlin.  If for no other reason than the Titans still had a chance as long as they kept the Ravens from scoring a touchdown.  The Steelers were down two scores, and the clock was working against them.  Even if they held the Browns to a 3 and out, the Steelers would have needed 2 TDs in the 4th to win the game.

Tomlin and considering all the aspects, not only the statistical aspects it was way worse.

Titans vs. Ravens was a low scoring game, both defenses were playing better than their respective counterparts and Titans were down only 4. Steelers were down 12 which per se is bad enough but also they were coming back from a 28 points deficit. So they were already in 4th down mode for a long time (scored a TD on a 4th down) but when they got closer Tomlin got scared against bottom10 defensive unit in the NFL without their two starting corners and their coach.

Last but not least 3rd or 4th &1 last time I checked was almost 20 percentage points easier to convert than &2.

Wrabel made a bad decision but he had an explanation behind his decision Tomlin was just a coward

Tomlin for sure. If you trust your defense (Pitt) then you trust that AT WORST they hold the opposition to a FG if you can’t convert. However, if you convert there and score, that makes it a one score game with ALL the pressure on Cleveland for allowing such a monumental comeback. That would’ve been the exact scenario to allow doubt to creep in on such a team.

But they punted. Also, it’s 4th and 1. You can trip and pick up that kind of yardage. I mean it wouldn’t have been easy, but neither is coming back from down by 28 points, but it’s the bed you make that you have to lie in. His players were out there on both sides of the ball battling at that point and that decision and then the terrible punt, definitely knocked the wind out of that defense’s sails.

——
Whereas with Vrabel, it would’ve been a ballsy move. The Ravens had been bottling Henry up all night. They had also adjusted to switching on those rub routes to take away the quick pass to the middle. So you’re likely relying on a Tannehill read option keep type of play and a good bit of penetration there could end it. I’d still like my chances with such a call though so it was definitely gutless, but I think it’s a little more defensible.