Terrible Way to End an 11-0 start

Just blew it.
This team, as currently constructed, needs some change.
We need a new offensive coordinator.
We maybe should hope Ben and Pouncey retire.
At the least, they should take serious pay cuts.

With so much change coming, next year will just be harder.
Personally I think it's time to rip the bandaid off.

• Like 1

Completely agree on all points. This was a really bad loss. With that said, I thought, at best, the ceiling of this team was the AFC championship. I thought the most likely scenario was losing next week. With so many things working against the Browns, I thought we should be able to handle this game. I do like Tomlin but his consistent underperforming in the playoffs should be acknowledged, it's been frustrating to watch.

In reality, this was our last year to truly make a run. I don't think the team has the balls to cut Ben so I'm hoping he retires. Pouncey has been so overrated for so long, I would love to see him go along with it. That would allow us to keep a few players--maybe Sutton? Begin the rebuilding process and get ready to suck next year. With Ben next year, we'll be stuck in mediocrity with a middling pick and no clear path forward, which just extends the rebuilding process. Also, as long as Ben is here, so is Fichtner and I think he's a huge negative to this offense.

We'll see how the coming weeks go.. Ultimately, we've been a pretty lucky fanbase to see such a successful team for so long but it does feel like they've ultimately underwhelmed. It's hard not to believe this is the true beginning of the end for this steelers era of football though. 

• Like 1

this team  needs major changes and they have to ALL be for  the better. If ben retires, the QB has to be comparable.  If ficnher is fired, that will be an improvement no matter what.  The OL can't run block, the worst in the league - that will take time to fix, not one offseason either. New OL talent and OL coach, until then, forget it. 

Then all the change in roster will be a problem since the cap will be a major issue.  

No one player to blame  but a few aren't playing up to their contracts. Then the coaching issues. To fix all that in one season would be a major turnaround. Right now, the 11-0 start might be interfering with a proper assessment of the 2020 steelers more than anything.  

This team had it's run, but that ship has sailed. Other teams are having their time in the spotlight now. You could call rebuild, but in this league a team should sustain with proper FO activity and as long as high cap value players perform. This team isn't fulfilling that and it's showing.  How they move on will show in their seasons to follow. If ben and fichner and pouncey return, I expect more of the same yet a more difficult schedule will leave the team out of the playoffs maybe below .,500.   Maybe the Browns and the Bills will be regular playoff teams for several years, good for them and their fans, they deserve it. Sooner or later all teams have a few years where they have bad records and need to reboot, maybe this is the steelers time.  Ben hasn't been good the last 2 full season he has played, and he missed one, so we would have to go back 4 years for him.  Thats not helping is it?

The cap problem alone will have talent leave the team and prevent UFA's from signing. Not a nice offseason for the FO, but other teams will feel this too. 

1 hour ago, Steelers22 said:

We'll see how the coming weeks go.. Ultimately, we've been a pretty lucky fanbase to see such a successful team for so long but it does feel like they've ultimately underwhelmed. It's hard not to believe this is the true beginning of the end for this steelers era of football though. 

if ben and fichner are here, they will play this way.   Once they are gone, then a new regime will enter and that could be different, maybe not.  Now it's time for other fanbases to have playoffs and wins and maybe SB's . Good for them, it's about time new teams get rewarded . It was nice that KC won last year, but maybe other teams will be regulars int he playoffs and maybe get a SB as well.  I can't believe it's been 25 years for the bills and then whatever it has been for the browns, too much time for them.  Like the browns offence, but their defence is still a weakness overall. They will have to own TOP vs the chiefs.  Bad weather small market teams get some time in the spotlight, nothing wrong with that. 

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

Luckiest team through the first 9 weeks of the season, so that 11-0 wasn't exactly built on great things.

easy schedule and luck as you might call it.  Next season or another schedules, this team might have been 7-4 or 6-5, I think everything fell into place to help the 11-0, covid, health and schedule/opponents health etc. 

The season ended in a  major fail in the wild card and in the last 6 weeks the offence couldn't score in the first quarter. Last in the NFL in rushing.  

It's actually the most fitting way for this team to end the season. Theyve been allowing this team to mediocre its way through seasons on the coattails of 'beyond his time' Ben and failed coaching decisions. This year, it blew up in their face. They were at no point in better than a 2 TD gap against Cleveland AT HOME