2020 Divisional - 6) LA Rams @ 1) GB Packers

notthatbluestuff

2020 Divisional - LA Rams @ GB Packers  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Los Angeles Rams
    • Green Bay Packers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/2021 at 09:35 PM

30 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

*should be storyline of the game. not the season.

Also overcoming the Bakhtiari injury played into last night's performance. 

I mean, it should be a big story of the season as well.  This is a very, very good unit.  We have two first team all-pro players who missed time, and the line still played very, very well. Elgton Jenkins played every position on the line this season (and played well), and I believe he started at 3 of them.  Billy Turner has played RG, RT, and LT.

Special shout out to Marcedes Lewis who is also a phenomenal blocker. And MVS and Allen Lazard who are good down field blockers from the WR spot as well.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, it should be a big story of the season as well.  This is a very, very good unit.  We have two first team all-pro players who missed time, and the line still played very, very well. Elgton Jenkins played every position on the line this season (and played well), and I believe he started at 3 of them.  Billy Turner has played RG, RT, and LT.

Special shout out to Marcedes Lewis who is also a phenomenal blocker. And MVS and Allen Lazard who are good down field blockers from the WR spot as well.

I should have specified. I couldn't care less about storylines for the Packers season. The game where the Rams got dominated at the LOS, that Packers O-Line stole the show. Unfortunately, the media will run with the Rodgers narrative that fits his upcoming MVP trophy. He played well, but the hero of that game should be the O-Line. I legimately think there were ZERO negative plays yesterday for the Packers offense. 

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not going to get an argument from most Rams fans on that one anymore. I jumped ship after the Jets game this year. He's adequate, average, mediocre, with the potential to have great games and the potential to lose games for you. He will have competition to be the starting QB next year. McVay has made comments/actions the last two weeks with Goff that would lead you to believe he could be growing tired of him.

The problem, to me, with Goff is not his play.  It is his contract.  I can live with average, if I am paying for average.  Then a team can be assembled around the player and find success.  I feel the same about Jimmy G, and to a lesser extent, Kirk Cousins.  But Goff has a very high percentage of the salary cap tied to him, and that limits what the Rams can do to build the team.  

Heck, we were there with Rodgers in 2018 and 19.  If you are paid like a top player, you have to produce like one.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The problem, to me, with Goff is not his play.  It is his contract.  I can live with average, if I am paying for average.  Then a team can be assembled around the player and find success.  I feel the same about Jimmy G, and to a lesser extent, Kirk Cousins.  But Goff has a very high percentage of the salary cap tied to him, and that limits what the Rams can do to build the team.  

Heck, we were there with Rodgers in 2018 and 19.  If you are paid like a top player, you have to produce like one.

Does Goff earn more than Rodgers?

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Sadly, that's how the NFL works. QB's contracts (not rookie deal) take up the most space. He was coming off a SuperBowl appearence so I can't think of a team who wouldn't of paid him given those circumstances. I don't like the contract now either, but hindsight is 20/20. The Rams cap restrictions were by far the worst this season (dead money tied to Gurley and Cooks), so if we can muster 10 wins, a playoff win, and a Divisional round appearence under those circumstances, I feel confident about how we will look going forward. 

1 minute ago, BigTrav said:

Does Goff earn more than Rodgers?

It depends on the metric.

They both signed 4 year 134 million dollar contracts.  Rodgers got 57.5 signing bonus to Goff's 25.  Rodgers got 79.2 guaranteed to Goff's 57 and change. 

Cap hits as follows, starting in 2020 season:

Rodgers - 21.6, 36.3, 39.8, 28.3, FA

Goff - 28.8, 34.6, 32.3, 31.8, 27.8

Goff can be cut after 2022 for a 8.6 million dead cap hit.  Rodgers can be cut after 2021 with a 17.2 million dead cap hit.  It is not practical to cut either before those marks, though the Packers would save 3ish million should they cut Rodgers before 2021 (still have a 30 million dollar hit though).

• Like 1

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Sadly, that's how the NFL works. QB's contracts (not rookie deal) take up the most space. He was coming off a SuperBowl appearence so I can't think of a team who wouldn't of paid him given those circumstances. I don't like the contract now either, but hindsight is 20/20. The Rams cap restrictions were by far the worst this season (dead money tied to Gurley and Cooks), so if we can muster 10 wins, a playoff win, and a Divisional round appearence under those circumstances, I feel confident about how we will look going forward. 

Be thankful you aren't the Eagles.  Just look at it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It depends on the metric.

They both signed 4 year 134 million dollar contracts.  Rodgers got 57.5 signing bonus to Goff's 25.  Rodgers got 79.2 guaranteed to Goff's 57 and change. 

Cap hits as follows, starting in 2020 season:

Rodgers - 21.6, 36.3, 39.8, 28.3, FA

Goff - 28.8, 34.6, 32.3, 31.8, 27.8

Goff can be cut after 2022 for a 8.6 million dead cap hit.  Rodgers can be cut after 2021 with a 17.2 million dead cap hit.  It is not practical to cut either before those marks, though the Packers would save 3ish million should they cut Rodgers before 2021 (still have a 30 million dollar hit though).

That it's even this comparable must make Rams fans sick. Let alone the owner.

7 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Packers are great for a multitude of reasons, but Donald might be the goat Dlineman.  Not having that ability is absolutely huge.  

Packers do have a great oline though, and thats what makes them scary.  It's been the engine oftheir success this year IMO. 

Also worth noting that GB were missing their best lineman, and the best OT in the league. 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My thing is, you can't write off a 26 year old pocket passer just yet, and especially one that has shown the potential that Goff did in 2017/2018. If you guys were there with Rodgers in 2018/19, would people have been correct in giving up on him as well? Hell no.

Before people put words in my mouth, I'm not saying Goff is Rodgers. He's not and will probably never have the pocket awareness/mobility that a guy like Rodgers does. Just illustrating a point. 

And who are you really going to move on from Goff for? Yeah, if the Rams could somehow get Watson I'd be for it, but that's not realistic. I don't see anyone else available that would be an upgrade at this point. 

7 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Sucks we had to limp into that game. Hats off the GB Offensive Line. I think they should be the story of this game, but they won't be. It will all go to Rodgers and then an injured Donald will grab second billing.

Anytime your QB is only pressured 3 or 4 times and your RB's are ripping off 5 YPC, I don't care who is at QB, you're going to win the game. Rams defense played their worst game of the year from a tackling and execution standpoint; great time for it lol 

I was speculating on the Packers subforum here that perhaps your defense depends too much on Donald's considerable skills.  Do you think this could have been the case yesterday?

10 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I was speculating on the Packers subforum here that perhaps your defense depends too much on Donald's considerable skills.  Do you think this could have been the case yesterday?

We definitely rely too much on Donald but I don't think that was the case yesterday. Even if Donald was 100% I think it would have been a long day for the defense.