BDL 2021 Contract Negotiations/Transactions

SirA1

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

Unless something is changed, you can't sign a player to the fifth year option if they've already signed a new IRL contract.

We made it so u can only sign a fifth year option if the player has an Irl one.  In this case he does.  You can't use fifth year option if they replaced that with a new contract. Houston did not replace the fifth year option. They signed the extension after the fifth year option season 

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

We made it so u can only sign a fifth year option if the player has an Irl one.  In this case he does.  You can't use fifth year option if they replaced that with a new contract. Houston did not replace the fifth year option. They signed the extension after the fifth year option season 

Bold: I don't think that's what it says.

Just now, Blue said:

Bold: I don't think that's what it says.

It Also says u can't three up a rookie contract which he is still technically on til next year and that the three up has to be from his actual Irl contract for the time and length which we can't use cause the four years doesn't mean start til next year. It's just one of those unique situations that come up where I feel we need to just use the option then three up the contract 

Just now, bcb1213 said:

It Also says u can't three up a rookie contract which he is still technically on til next year and that the three up has to be from his actual Irl contract for the time and length which we can't use cause the four years doesn't mean start til next year. It's just one of those unique situations that come up where I feel we need to just use the option then three up the contract 

No, those situations are covered under different rules. You can't 3 Up a rookie contract, which is irrelevant because he's signed a new deal and the 3 Up would be based on that. He would just 3 Up him on a 5 year deal that includes the 5th year option as the first year of the new deal.

I mean Mahomes is in the same boat, if y'all want to give me an extra 3 Up this year and Mahomes on a massive bargain for an extra year, sure. But it's probably better for the league in the long haul to admit that bcb is wrong about how it works.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, those situations are covered under different rules. You can't 3 Up a rookie contract, which is irrelevant because he's signed a new deal and the 3 Up would be based on that. He would just 3 Up him on a 5 year deal that includes the 5th year option as the first year of the new deal.

@SirA1 should come in but I’m pretty sure he explained before that we’ve avoided that step and gone straight into their new contract if offered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Shrug. Just wouldn't make sense in my brain to potentially have to three up a player twice on the same contract but whatever 

Why/How would you 3 Up a player twice on the same contract in this scenario?

Edited by Blue

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Shrug. Just wouldn't make sense in my brain to potentially have to three up a player twice on the same contract but whatever 

Hey, clearly we would be beneficiaries. I will gladly talk through this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why/How would you 3 Up a player twice on the same contract in this scenario?

How do you want him to three up a four year contract that doesn't end for five years only once.  So in the fifth year, he'd have to three up the fourth year as Watson won't start the first season of that contract til 2022 

5 hours ago, MD4L said:

@SirA1 should come in but I’m pretty sure he explained before that we’ve avoided that step and gone straight into their new contract if offered.

@bcb1213 @Blue

OK I had time to look into this. The Texans did exercise Watson's 5th year option but that was $17.3M.

The new number on Spotrac of $10540 for 2021 likely does mean the contract was altered to keep his cap number cheap for 1 more year.

The publicized 4 year contract that comes out to $39K per year was likely something to make the contract look bigger than it actually is for agent purposes.

I would be inclined to rule that his 5th year option is no more but that it is actually a 5 year contract left. $156K + $10,540 = $166,540/5 to base your 3 Up off of. I think these big QB contracts may need arbitration like this as each NFL team will structure them differently.

But I am also not on the contract committee just my opinion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

How do you want him to three up a four year contract that doesn't end for five years only once.  So in the fifth year, he'd have to three up the fourth year as Watson won't start the first season of that contract til 2022 

Reading is a useful skill.

7 hours ago, Blue said:

• Like 1