Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Will AV sign somewhere else, same with Feiler? If  2 starting OL are gone, I would expect them to take  OL in RD1.  Wait, I forgot pouncey is gone, so that could be 3 OL gone :o. They could be replaced but by who is what we will find out.  I don't see pouncey as being difficult to replace and actually AV and Feiler weren't good last year compared to the previous season. 

Maybe ben should retire while he still can walk. It might be a really bad OL in 2021. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Will AV sign somewhere else, same with Feiler? If  2 starting OL are gone, I would expect them to take  OL in RD1.  Wait, I forgot pouncey is gone, so that could be 3 OL gone :o. They could be replaced but by who is what we will find out.  I don't see pouncey as being difficult to replace and actually AV and Feiler weren't good last year compared to the previous season. 

Maybe ben should retire while he still can walk. It might be a really bad OL in 2021. 

Dotson is an upgrade over Feiler so that’s one spot.

I fully anticipate us bringing back Banner to start at a tackle spot and bringing in a Finney/Wiz level center in free agency. I still think we take either OT or C in the first two rounds but it’s not as dire of a need as it seems on the surface. You can almost bank on Decastro having a bounce back year next year as well which helps.

LT - Chuks/Draft Pick

LG - Dotson

C - FA/Draft Pick

RG - Decastro

RT - Banner

Edited by bigben07MVP

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Dotson is an upgrade over Feiler so that’s one spot.

I fully anticipate us bringing back Banner to start at a tackle spot and bringing in a Finney/Wiz level center in free agency. I still think we take either OT or C in the first two rounds but it’s not as dire of a need as it seems on the surface. You can almost bank on Decastro having a bounce back year next year as well which helps.

LT - Chuks/Draft Pick

LG - Dotson

C - FA/Draft Pick

RG - Decastro

RT - Banner

this might work if everyone stays healthy. If someone gets injured, then what? No depth on the OL, and already moving players around. It could  be the worst OL in 10 years , the reality of  UFA and retirement and lack of salary cap to keep the unit's talent near what it was a few years ago.  

I'm pulling for  Banner, too bad what happened last year. See how he recovers and does at RT.  Finney and a good OL coach could make this a decent OL, maybe all they need is a good coach. 

Banner has said he’s off social media til his contract gets done...I’m guessing him and Steelers are relatively close to a deal...I figured they’d bring at 1 of him/Feiler back to lock up an OT spot.

15 hours ago, AFF said:

Banner has said he’s off social media til his contract gets done...I’m guessing him and Steelers are relatively close to a deal...I figured they’d bring at 1 of him/Feiler back to lock up an OT spot.

I saw  this yesterday. I actually like the chance at a healthy banner, decastro,and dotson helping change the run game for us next year. even a mid level center and above average left tackle(possibly chucks) and a upgrade at rb this could turn into a good ground game for a couple seasons

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big Snack said:

I saw  this yesterday. I actually like the chance at a healthy banner, decastro,and dotson helping change the run game for us next year. even a mid level center and above average left tackle(possibly chucks) and a upgrade at rb this could turn into a good ground game for a couple seasons

The more I think about the idea of Banner with first shot at LT, the more I like the idea of re-signing Feiler (should be fairly cheap for a quality starting RT) and being pretty comfortable with our O-Line after a BJ Finney type C signing. 

I am not sure how he will be as a pure pass blocker, but I feel good about Banner, Dotson, Name, Decastro, and Feiler as a run blocking group. You still have a more finesse guy like Chuks to try at LT if the experiment ultimately fails, but it at least buys you a year in my book that you dont HAVE to take a tackle. 

Im not saying I am excited about this...but if that's our OL and we take a Freiermuth in the first and one of the C prospects in the second.....I think we have a really good shot at having a baseline of success moving forward. Might not be sexy, but I think you can really build around that. It's the makings of a good offensive core. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

.but if that's our OL and we take a Freiermuth in the first and one of the C prospects in the second..

That would be an ok haul for me. I really like Pat. It really depends on how the board falls. I'm hopefully excited about this draft. There are a lot of directions they could go that would make me happy. 

• Like 1

Read on Depot that Jeremy Fowler mentioned the Steelers possibly looking at Sutton as a hybrid pricing candidate. My guess is that means in the $5M range where his CB abilities is probably $8-10M. 

If that's the case, I think the Steelers may put him in the JuJu category. Go ahead and test out FA, but get back to us before you agree anywhere so we can look at making you an offer. We don't want to offend you with a low price but if the market says otherwise, let us put something in front of you. 

JuJu's comments make me think he really does value the fit/feel vs money (just an aside but IMO he talked to Bell), but there's still a gap to be made up between the two. If JuJu goes out and someone offer's him $18M per, maybe the Steelers say go ahead and take that. But if his best offer comes back at $16M, maybe he will take $14.5 on a shorter contract? I would think it's the same thing with Sutton. Go out and if no one values you as an outside CB, come back to us and let's put a good offer together. 

• Like 2

I know year 1 cap hit would be low, but I’m still not sure I want Juju back even in the $13-$14 mill range...I trust them drafting WRs...I don’t trust them with developing DBs which I think it’s almost a must to keep 1 of Hilton/Sutton(preferably Sutton).

3 hours ago, AFF said:

I know year 1 cap hit would be low, but I’m still not sure I want Juju back even in the $13-$14 mill range...I trust them drafting WRs...I don’t trust them with developing DBs which I think it’s almost a must to keep 1 of Hilton/Sutton(preferably Sutton).

Personally I do want Juju back. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I can see the Steelers taking Collins at 24 if he is there.  He looks like a Dupree replacement

Dupree replacement? I think Highsmith did enough last year to earn that title. OLB depth is certainly a need but not in the first round. We’ll see but as of now I have a hard time seeing us go defense at all in the 1st. OL, TE, RB, or QB if someone falls (Aaron Rodgers type situation) should be addressed.