Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Here’s an interesting video I just watched. He breaks down why the offense did so poorly last year. Basically boils down to playing an extremely efficient style of offense and not being very efficient at doing it. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but he breaks it down in an easy to understand manner. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 11:17 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Here’s an interesting video I just watched. He breaks down why the offense did so poorly last year. Basically boils down to playing an extremely efficient style of offense and not being very efficient at doing it. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but he breaks it down in an easy to understand manner. 

seems like Randy had no idea on how to gameplan around a poor line after defenses figured out our offense and I guess ben just wasn't mentally ready to be more aggressive? it took the 2nd halves in the colts and browns WC game for him to throw it deep regularly with authority. The one positive I got from that WC game is ben 2nd half play. He was throwing lasers down the field...showed signs of life in his arm. Hopefully we see more of that this yr.

• Like 1

Good video to help reinforce “adapt or die”. We didn’t adapt, and our offense died. 

One big criticism for me is using the word “desire” instead of “design” when talking about Ben and the short passing game. They built the offense to be exactly what it was. Ben had input there - probably a lot of it - but throwing short and getting the ball out quick was completely by design. That’s been a pet peeve of mine as we continue to go through this off-season and pundits talk about our struggles. Short wasn’t because couldn’t or wouldn’t do anything else…it’s because that’s how the planned it. Maybe it was in part to protect an aging Ben, but the narrative has been very skewed.  

I keep being reminded about Herman Boone’s quote from remember the Titans about only having 6 plays. That’s who we were. We had a limited amount of offense and once teams caught on, we just kept running it hoping for the best. 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

training camp just a few weeks away

who are your top 5 guys you want to see the most this preseason?

Too much change to narrow it to 5 specific players...

OLine....who will step up?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Alex Highsmith

RBs...especially Harris and McFarland

New look offense...I know we wont see everything in preseason, but Im just curious to see how our players fit into it.

Dwayne Haskins....just want to see if there is ANY hope for him going forward.

Honorable mention...Pressley Harvin at punter.

43 hit in a couple of them, but I’ll add to it. 

I want to see year 2, full(ish?) off-season strength from Highsmith. I believe he can rush the passer, I’d like to see the jump come at stopping the run. 

Green and how quickly he may be able to enter the starting C discussion. 

James Pierre. No context needed.

Haskins. Mason needs to absolutely kill it for me to have even a slight lean towards being interested in seeing him, so my hope is Haskins. 

Slot Corner.  All of em. I think that’s going to be a fun competition. 

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

43 hit in a couple of them, but I’ll add to it. 

I want to see year 2, full(ish?) off-season strength from Highsmith. I believe he can rush the passer, I’d like to see the jump come at stopping the run. 

Green and how quickly he may be able to enter the starting C discussion. 

James Pierre. No context needed.

Haskins. Mason needs to absolutely kill it for me to have even a slight lean towards being interested in seeing him, so my hope is Haskins. 

Slot Corner.  All of em. I think that’s going to be a fun competition. 

Good additions.   I meant to mention CBs beyond Haden and Sutton.   

Still hoping we sign a CB before the season....even if its just to challenge Pierre.   Still shocked Steven Nelson hasnt been signed to another team. 

• Like 1

I will be interested to see how Claypool and DJ are progressing. We need them both to step up in a big way. At full potential we have two dynamic mismatch #1s with skillsets that compliment each other perfectly. I love Juju but these two are the future and if Chase can build on his impressive rookie season and DJ can cut out the mental mistakes we have a nasty WR duo for years to come. 

As mentioned, McFarland is definitely up there for me. I feel he is being slept on (by casuals moreso) and can be a really dynamic weapon for us this year. A guy like him is someone who can really benefit from a full normal offseason. 

Antoine Brooks Jr is someone I’ll be keeping tabs on. Loved him when we drafted him and he’s kinda the forgotten man from last years draft class. He has received some hype as the potential Hilton replacement. He certainly lays the wood like Hilton but is bigger. Can he hold up in coverage (Hilton was just good enough there) and can he blitz?

Pat Friermuth, can he make an impact blocking early on? I will be interested to see how he holds up in blocking drills against our pass rushers. I’m sure it will be a struggle early on but if he can block I think we will start to see him on the field more than Ebron. People don’t realize how negatively Ebron’s blocking affected the run game last year. We were the first team in his career to ask him to block and it went horribly. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, Dcash4 said:

Good video to help reinforce “adapt or die”. We didn’t adapt, and our offense died. 

One big criticism for me is using the word “desire” instead of “design” when talking about Ben and the short passing game. They built the offense to be exactly what it was. Ben had input there - probably a lot of it - but throwing short and getting the ball out quick was completely by design. That’s been a pet peeve of mine as we continue to go through this off-season and pundits talk about our struggles. Short wasn’t because couldn’t or wouldn’t do anything else…it’s because that’s how the planned it. Maybe it was in part to protect an aging Ben, but the narrative has been very skewed.  

I keep being reminded about Herman Boone’s quote from remember the Titans about only having 6 plays. That’s who we were. We had a limited amount of offense and once teams caught on, we just kept running it hoping for the best. 

Almost every team in the NFL runs a short passing game. The Steelers couldn’t run the ball to slow down opposing teams pass rushes & to obviously take pressure off Ben & the passing game.

They also had WRs who began to have the dropsies the the last two months of the season, Diontae Johnson, Enbron & even Juju had some poor games where they dropped catchable balls and when that happens it really hurst the consistency in the offense & the trust that the QB has with his receivers.

Receivers dropping even 5 yard receptions is a big deal bc that could’ve been turned into a first down on the next play or if that receiver was able to get upfield and get the first or break a tackle and get more yac.

On top of all that injuries to the OL & to the defense really hurt the team the last two months of the year. Sadly, the Steelers limped into the playoffs last year & it showed while other teams like the Chiefs. Browns, Ravens & Titans were playing their best football heading into the playoffs.

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think the WR have to not be under the impression that they need to be looking up field to run before they catch the ball.  I think the offense called for that and it lead to more drops.

Not sure how you can blame an offensive scheme for dropped passes. It’s elementary that you catch the ball/look the ball in before you head up field. Blame needs to be on the receivers for dropping catchable balls and killing drives.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, turtle28 said:

Not sure how you can blame an offensive scheme for dropped passes. It’s elementary that you catch the ball/look the ball in before you head up field. Blame needs to be on the receivers for dropping catchable balls and killing drives.

Because the offensive scheme was bland and predictable, and even after opposing defenses figured out, next to no adjustments were made.

Yes, the players deserve blame for poor play, but Fitchner was in way over his head from the moment he got the job.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, 43M said:

Because the offensive scheme was bland and predictable, and even after opposing defenses figured out, next to no adjustments were made.

Yes, the players deserve blame for poor play, but Fitchner was in way over his head from the moment he got the job.

True that as well.

So, I didn't particularly care about the Bush story, and still don't much. But it is a bit curious that a guy who barely made a ripple for two years suddenly started popping off on Twitter - today claiming that the team fined him for his recent Tweets (I'm doubting that actually happened). I mean, what the hell has gotten into him?