Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

I care less about analyzing than I do having an extra set of eyes watching the game and making adjustments. So sick of running same gameplan and sticking to it all game, and no halftime adjustments. Hopefully Canada can adjust on the fly so when we’re going nowhere we just don’t keep doing the same things. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

They have an organizational philosophy that a smaller decision making team means better decision making. Sometimes when you see the teams with the biggest departments they can be the ones that struggle with bad picks because everyone wants a say. 

I think this is an awful view and one that points out direct issues with leadership, personally. As someone who runs a a team in an organization, I want ALL of your input....but its my job to point us in the right direction. 

Everyone WANTS a say, but not everyone gets to make that say happen. That's where things need to get filtered down. 

This is all my personal opinion, but I have a very opposite view of that type of leadership. I think the smaller team is cutting out discussion and argument, where I think that should be and needs to be welcomed. It's on the top people to filter through and push direction. Smaller teams make it seem like you cut out the muck to get to shared thought process....and that's how you get 5+ years of ILB covering WR in the slot after motion in key downs or are beating your head against the wall to run the same offense that everyone figured out. 

TLDR: I don't believe smaller teams make better decisions, I think smaller teams make shared decisions. 

FWIW we lost 2 in the last two years, we’re actually one of the first teams with this department, and quietly it’s regularly poached. 

Didn't Kassam just get let go from the Jags? Wonder if he might circle back?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

Houston came and went.  i am guessing his knee is shot.

I never knew this, seemed to play well last year. Ingram has the knee issue potential as well.  Highsmith should be good but if Watt gets hurt, then this Ingram signing helps

19 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think this is an awful view and one that points out direct issues with leadership, personally. As someone who runs a a team in an organization, I want ALL of your input....but its my job to point us in the right direction. 

Everyone WANTS a say, but not everyone gets to make that say happen. That's where things need to get filtered down. 

And while I don't disagree necessarily, I can give you an example from this person in the know:

Part of the reason the analytics department is so small is partially the less voices in the room, but it's also the limiting the stream of information.  There's companies and places out there with statisticians that calculate all this stuff for you.  So it's better for them to just pay someone else to compile the data for them and hand it over with no opinions.  

They do a similar thing with scouting.  They pay a service to compile prospects that fit what the Steelers look for at different positions.  So that way instead of randomly sending scouts out around the country, they know where to target and what games to send a scout to for bang for their buck. 

And sometimes what happens is they find someone else.  It's actually what happened with Alex Highsmith.  They were at the Tennessee game in 2018 to scout someone else.  And the scout noticed Highsmith flash in that game with 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 TFL.  So they got good bang for their buck on that scouting trip.  Without the service ever tagging a guy in Tennessee as a potential fit, they never go to that game, they never find Highsmith, and he's not a Steeler.

This is all my personal opinion, but I have a very opposite view of that type of leadership. I think the smaller team is cutting out discussion and argument, where I think that should be and needs to be welcomed. It's on the top people to filter through and push direction. Smaller teams make it seem like you cut out the muck to get to shared thought process....and that's how you get 5+ years of ILB covering WR in the slot after motion in key downs or are beating your head against the wall to run the same offense that everyone figured out. 

TLDR: I don't believe smaller teams make better decisions, I think smaller teams make shared decisions. 

That's the downside to it, but doesn't make it wrong.  But I'll point to this: You like to often argue that Colbert isn't overrated as a GM, but he's the one with the small team that many claim is one of the best front offices in the league.  So in this instance can't really knock the small team if it works.

Not knocking your feelings on this.  But I like the idea of a small team because you can still have differing opinions but it's easier to get all people involved pulling in the same direction. I've worked in big teams and small teams, and the small team is much better at a cohesive end result.

Didn't Kassam just get let go from the Jags? Wonder if he might circle back?

There's a possibility.  

You like to often argue that Colbert isn't overrated as a GM, but he's the one with the small team that many claim is one of the best front offices in the league.  So in this instance can't really knock the small team if it works.

I just did a really quick dive on this, and based on the teams I looked at (which was 5, so small sample size), the Steelers actually have a bigger or similarly sized college staff as others in the scouting realm. 

I shouldn't come off as saying a small team is wrong...but IMO if you have a small team you need to have experts at the top. I do believe we have experts, largely, in scouting and defense. We don't have experts on offense -- or at least, haven't. We don't seem to like using analytics on Sunday, either in preparation or in game, so IMO that points to a lack of expertise in understanding the data. That's a lot of good information that you provided, but other teams use those services too. Scouting we seem to be right in line or above a lot of other quality drafting teams -- while using the services.

But we continually rank at the bottom of polls regarding use of analytics and we saw what happened with our offense last year with no where to turn mentally. If we have services that provide the analytics, but no one on the staff that believes in them....those papers might be hitting the garbage cans or being left on unread. 

I did the digging before but some of the best offenses in the league have 3-4 guys dedicated to OC/QB alone. I just struggled with the concept of smaller teams being in your benefit when you have seemingly declined to accept analytics and have been glaringly behind on modern NFL offenses for a couple years. Like, one additional coach with play-calling or QB background and an head of analytics to compile and provide insight on Monday morning is too much? I have always had a feeling that Tomlin has way too much trust in his coaching hires and their sole abilities. 

(none of this is meant to be talking to you War and I don't want it to come off that way, Im acting like I'm talking directly to Rooney in my head. I just don't get how a team had 4 DC's in the room and created a top shelf defense doesn't see the value in shared ideas on Offense in an ever evolving landscape of gameplay or in analytics)

And I do greatly appreciate the insider insight. 

also think Johnson could be deadly with sweeps, toss passes, screens etc. I can see Matt getting creative using Watt, ebron and Patt too. fullbacks and tights ends were really productive when he was the OC at Pitt in 2016 and those guys have the athletic profile to do some damage on offense imo our offense lowkey can be really exciting/creative if Matt's influence shines + O-line being at least decent.

30 minutes ago, August4th said:

Im very excited to see his concepts on this team. I'm also not an advocate of the Athletic, but here's some additional quotes from an article there on Canada that I loved. 

I’m a big believer in tempo and the changing of the tempo,” Canada said. “If you always go fast, people get used to that. If you always walk out of the huddle, folks get used to that. Defensive coaches are smart. They study film and tendencies and all those things. We’re certainly going to continue to use tempo and use the things that Ben is very, very good at to help our offense be the most productive it can be. The changes of tempo during the course of a game are very important, and I think Ben’s good at it.

Matchups are how you win football games,” Canada continued. “It starts with the quarterback. What does he do well? What does he like? What does he see? What is good to his eye in the passing game? … His voice, his vision, what he sees will be what we do.”

https://theathletic.com/2705011/2021/07/15/steelers-training-camp-question-no-3-will-matt-canadas-offense-be-a-boom-or-a-bust/

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Vince Williams retired. 

Ill miss him.   Low key, unspectacular, yet a steadily solid role player and occasional decent starter.

All the best, Vince.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

More cap space for Hooker 😉

Avery Williamson still out there. I have a feeling we’re in for a busy pre-season transaction wise. Hopefully Colbert has some more tricks up his sleeve. 

0 change to cap space. 

57 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I believe it adds 850k but I could definitely be wrong. I was trolling about it being enough for us to sign Hooker though.

Player replacement.  Him retiring means $850k in cash came off the book, but top 52 replacement charge is $850k.

• Like 1