Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Hey, I did another one!

1. Reid was absolutely done in Philadelphia. It wasn't working anymore there. His message had grown stale and the organization was a mess. The firing brought Philly a Super Bowl. The Eagles made the right choice when they fired him.

2. The league has shifted more and more every year into one that favors a coach like Reid. It has shifted more and more from a league that favors a coach like Tomlin. Do I need to get into the specifics of this? Hint - you can start by looking at Claypool's remarks on how Tomlin wanted the offense to focus on field position against the Browns. The league does not favor attrition football anymore.

3. Reid has actually shown growth as a head coach and in his game day management. Can anyone with a straight face actually sit here and claim that Tomlin has shown ANY growth or change over the last half decade or more?

Mike Tomlin is more Mike McCarthy than Andy Reid regardless.

The team has $100+ mill in cap space starting in 2022...yessome extension will eat at that but it’s a natural tipping point to “retool” at QB(plus maybe a newHC/DC/GM)

People are way too quick to throw Big Ben away...he has his faults...I’d rather try for it 1 more year than to give up too soon...QBs aren’t exactly an easy commodity to find.

Just now, Dcash4 said:

I wish you the best of luck in your journey to find the perfect head coach!

Tomlin is 3-6 in the last 10 years in the playoffs and 2 of those wins were against backup QBs...he at the least should be on the hot seat.

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I wish you the best of luck in your journey to find the perfect head coach!

The team doesn't need to find some perfect coach. The guy they hire doesn't even necessarily have to be "better" than Tomlin. He needs to the right guy for the particularly moment the franchise is in. Coaches, like players, can be different fits in different situations. Crazy, I know.

It's been greatly amusing to me to see people on here slowly but surely admit to themselves the same things I've been arguing for years. Of course, it's all too little too late. When it comes to Tomlin, he's not just "not perfect." I'd argue he's a general weak link. A guy who, if starting out on his own building his own program in a different city rather than having the Steelers organization he inherited, would fall flat on his face.

Colbert likely won't be around much longer. Ben likely has one more year. We'll get to see a little bit of what Tomlin can actually do on his own. It's obvious what I'm predicting.

8 minutes ago, AFF said:

Tomlin is 3-6 in the last 10 years in the playoffs and 2 of those wins were against backup QBs...he at the least should be on the hot seat.

I don’t disagree with that. I disagree with mainlining your frustrations in an “I told you so” based on some in-game issues. Reid has issues that have haunted him his entire career. A really good coach in Frank Reicht just lost his playoff fame due to in game decision making issues. 

If that’s what the problem is...prepare to hate the next coach too. 

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t disagree with that. I disagree with mainlining your frustrations in an “I told you so” based on some in-game issues. Reid has issues that have haunted him his entire career. A really good coach in Frank Reicht just lost his playoff fame due to in game decision making issues. 

If that’s what the problem is...prepare to hate the next coach too. 

Pretty big difference between occasional brain fart and 14 years of a pattern of in game screwups with no progression.

CKSteeler has wanted Tomlin gone for years truthfully.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Pretty big difference between occasional brain fart and 14 years of a pattern of in game screwups with no progression.

You can say the same thing about Andy Reid, only with 8 more years to that number. Point is all good coaches have flaws and a big part of that is because we are a reactionary to every thing that happens. Tomlin went with his gut and relying on his strong defense -- failed. Frank Reicht went with the analytics -- failed. So can Tomlin because he needs to update to someone like Frank Reicht? I dont know. Probably not as cut and dry as it might seem in the moment of hating that Tomlin didn't go for it on 4th and 1 (and yes, I hated that decision). 

Look at the playoff records and years in between Reid SB appearances and Paytons only one (two of the best coaches in the leagues). Same with Carroll or Harbaugh. The things pointed out about Tomlin (in game flaws, lack of recent playoff success) you can say about each and every one of those coaches over either current stretches or longer stretches than Tomlin. 

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Colbert likely won't be around much longer. Ben likely has one more year. We'll get to see a little bit of what Tomlin can actually do on his own. It's obvious what I'm predicting.

Uh huh....So Tomlin is responsible for none of the success? Got it. 

I'd love to see the list of continually successful teams that only have one of the 3 (HC, GM, QB) being a quality piece, but I know there isnt one. 

I lean to the side of firing Tomlin far more than I lean in on keeping him. I think this should be a truthful prove it year for him, which is why his OC coach is a bit disappointing if it is Canada to me. But half the arguments people have against Tomlin are just ignorant. Could it just be time to move on? Absolutely. But he is a good coach you are moving on from and more likely to find a worse replacement than a markedly better one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've been one of Tomlin's biggest defenders on here and I even have to admit his seat needs to be warm/hot. Sometimes coaches get stale. 

feel the same way. Tomlin is still young for a HC, but he's been here for 14 years. Most coaches don't stay that long at one place. I wonder if he'll take a break after this yr to recharge for a yr or two.

32 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've been one of Tomlin's biggest defenders on here and I even have to admit his seat needs to be warm/hot. Sometimes coaches get stale. 

I want to see what happens in 2 years post Ben clear cap to operate beforehand.  His entire tenure has been us chasing the cap to keep people.

• Like 1