Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Via SI.com:

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas

The Steelers are just going to draft a pass-rushing linebacker, but let’s pretend for a moment that teams draft based on dire need. Cosmi is part of this quietly deep offensive line class that, while not as fun to talk about as the wide receiver class, could have some far-reaching ramifications. Pittsburgh desperately needs to repair its offensive line and has not replenished the unit in the first round since 2012 when it took David DeCastro out of Stanford. Now, you can do this when you also find players like Kelvin Beachum in the seventh round. But I think the value matches up here.

Where the heck does this “Steelers will take a pass rusher” talk come from?

I don't see any reason to even entertain the Justin Fields talk. He's not even sniffing 10. Even if he did, none of those Ohio State QB's have turned out to be anything of late. Lots of hype and gaudy numbers, physical talent, flame out in the pro's. If you look at the guys Urban Meyer coached, it's Alex Smith (who sucked until Harbaugh) and then Tim Tebow as the second most successful QB. I'm not a big college football guy, but that history says something to me. Yea, there's guys who buck trends and end up succeeding in the pro's (Aaron Rodgers, though we'll never know what he would have been if thrown to the wolves right away). There's  first time for anything.

It's all moot because he's not even going to be in range for the Steelers to trade up to draft him. He's not making it past Denver if he somehow slides even that far.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Via SI.com:

think the value matches up here.

Where the heck does this “Steelers will take a pass rusher” talk come from?

The Steelers are still associated with OLB's and they just lost one in FA. I don't think that's where they go in round 1, but it's not hard to see why people would make the connection.

I think the pick is a RB, for better or worse. I'm just hoping that Tombert breaks the mold of what they've drafted recently in RB's. They tend to favor their slow plodders, and if it wasn't for Canada they probably don't even add a guy like McFarland.

I find the “No OSU QB has ever been successful in the NFL” argument to be so incredibly laughable. So if Fields would have stayed at UGA his entire collegiate career your opinion on him would be different?

And you realize Fields got there after Urban left in 2018 right? Not trying to be rude but kind of ruins all credibility in your argument.

Fields is a complete stud and should be evaluated independent of any past OSU QB. In my opinion he’s the #2 overall prospect in this years and next years draft combined.

Miami Herald just reported Falcons are targeting Pitts at 4. If the 49ers take Jones (still the biggest long shot aspect of this scenario IMO), Falcons stay put and take Pitts, and Denver prefers Lance or just decides to give Lock one more year, then Fields could make it to 10. Again I will reiterate, if I’m putting money on it I think Fields goes #3, but if he doesn’t I could see easily see him falling to 8-10 range.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I find the “No OSU QB has ever been successful in the NFL” argument to be so incredibly laughable. So if Fields would have stayed at UGA his entire collegiate career your opinion on him would be different?

If he were coming from a system or a set of coaches that hadn't produced draft busts in the past, my opinion would be different. Day has ties to Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer. I'm sure there's other influences, but neither of those instills faith in me.

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Fields is a complete stud and should be evaluated independent of any past OSU QB. In my opinion he’s the #2 overall prospect in this years and next years draft combined.

Like I said, I'm not a college guy. I don't even follow the NFL the way I used to. I certainly don't do the research into the draft prospects anymore. I expect teams to evaluate guys as individuals. As a fan, I'm looking at the history of the prospects these coaches and schools turn out and I'm not liking it.

Then you have questions about Fields' work ethic and attitude. I haven't met the guy, but I've seen plenty of guys with all the physical tools who amount to nothing. The Steelers just signed one who, an Ohio State alumni no less, couldn't produce in the pro's.

Haskins was different because the other three were extremely crappy NFL prospect - that’s the problem. Even Haskins is/was a decent prospect, but he was extremely raw and immediately allowed immaturity to derail any chance he had in his first stop at developing. But the other 3 were crap prospects from the jump, there were never expectations for them. 

Fields is still a better prospect than Haskins. So trying to lump Fields in with “the OSU QBs don’t work out” crowd is just narrative driven and not a thought out argument. 

• Like 1

Connor signing with the Cardinals for only $1.25 million says how much we soured on him. For a 1 year contract like that I can’t believe we wouldn’t keep him for another year and see if he bounces back, especially if we can upgrade the OL. We’re paying Samuels $984k and the talent isn’t even close to Connor. Really wonder about our team management sometimes. Connor was never great, but Samuels has never done anything except for 1 game. 

18 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Connor signing with the Cardinals for only $1.25 million says how much we soured on him. For a 1 year contract like that I can’t believe we wouldn’t keep him for another year and see if he bounces back, especially if we can upgrade the OL. We’re paying Samuels $984k and the talent isn’t even close to Connor. Really wonder about our team management sometimes. Connor was never great, but Samuels has never done anything except for 1 game. 

Have no fear, Etienne will be a huge upgrade to Conner 😉

Tomlin doesn't need two RB's. His philosophy has always been get one guy and run his wheels off. They're using a premium pick on one, probably 1.24.

I think the RB position needs at least two bodies added to it, so if they weren't going to keep Connor they should have looked at something a little bit better than Ballage. Though they're probably hoping that he'll improve their short yardage game.

Tomlin also likes him some Benny Snell for whatever reason.

My own preference would have been keeping Connor and drafting one.