Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

41 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I'm pretty sure the way they paid Spillane and cut Bince shows he is the starter. This is not a comparison between these 2 but Bince vs Gilbert or Allen. That is our current depth on the inside. He has never be even average at coverage but he is a plus run defender and a plus Blitzer. Not sure how this move can be disliked. 

My only concern is that Spillane played 150+  Special teams snaps last year while missing 4 games and Vince played 50. They need to switch teams duty if Vince is the clear backup. He hasn't played over 50 ST snaps since 2017. 

I don't think he can be useful on the 53/46 just by being a backup LBer. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

+ On Dobbs: I was hopefully, though didnt expect much, for Haskins as a dart throw...but signing Dobbs makes me think they already don't like what they see. That's kinda scary considering they probably haven't done much of anything football related yet. 

Meh....not sure about that.

Dont get me wrong, I have literally zero expectations of Haskins, but I dont think Dobbs signing is as much about Haskins and just moreso about the overall state of our QB depth.    Rudolph sucks too.    Ben likes Dobbs and said he has a great eye for playcalling.    Probably be a coach eventually ala Byron Leftwich.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Meh....not sure about that.

Dont get me wrong, I have literally zero expectations of Haskins, but I dont think Dobbs signing is as much about Haskins and just moreso about the overall state of our QB depth.    Rudolph sucks too.    Ben likes Dobbs and said he has a great eye for playcalling.    Probably be a coach eventually ala Byron Leftwich.

You could very well be right with this. Just seems strange to be to being in a fourth of his...er, caliber? 

Bens the starter and they like Mason (for some reason) so the top 2 spots are out of the question. We usually only ever carry a 4th as an arm for the off-season. Dobbs feels a little more than that. 

Seems like your signing Dobbs just to cut him, which is what makes it strange. There’s any number of guys to come in and put on a Rolodex for that at the bare minimum cost. 

49 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Seems like your signing Dobbs just to cut him, which is what makes it strange. There’s any number of guys to come in and put on a Rolodex for that at the bare minimum cost. 

Reasons it makes sense to bring in Dobbs over any other random QB off the street:

1. He’s already familiar with the team/knows the system, coaches, players etc

2. Ben likes having him around and even admitted he’s provided helpful input/picked out plays

3. He’s probably top 5 smartest guys in the league

4. We already experimented with creating some packages for him and using him in the run game. Maybe Canada wants to expand on that this season? I would love that to be honest, Ben is a statue. Bring Dobbs in for a handful of plays for QB sneaks and in the red zone, and it’s not like the guy doesn’t have a solid arm. 

I think it will be very difficult for Haskins to beat out Dobbs. Honestly this signing is probably a clue they won’t draft a QB this year.   

11 minutes ago, DR43 said:

How about QB Kellen Mond in round 3?  Yay or nay?  

Nay

Either trade up for a guy you like..or..stay at 24 and see if anyone falls.

The hit rate of post round 1 QBs is terrible IIRC.

Was pretty happy with this mock using PFN simulator.

24.) Najee Harris, RB Alabama

55.) Pat Friermuth, TE Penn State

87.) Quinn Meinerz, C Wisconsin-Whitewater

128.) Shaun Wade, Slot CB/S Ohio State

140.) Daelin Hayes, EDGE Notre Dame 

216.) Tamarrion Terry, WR FSU

245.) Paris Ford, S Pitt

254.) Cole Van Lanen, OT Wisconsin

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

1. He’s already familiar with the team/knows the system, coaches, players etc

This works in reverse though, which is part of the reason i find this odd. We know exactly who Dobbs is. There’s no future, at least as a player. 

So bringing him in to compete for the third spot against a guy you take a flier on - neither of which will probably even entertain seeing the field this year - is just strange. Makes me think it’s more about Haskins than anything. 

4. We already experimented with creating some packages for him and using him in the run game. Maybe Canada wants to expand on that this season? I would love that to be honest, Ben is a statue. Bring Dobbs in for a handful of plays for QB sneaks and in the red zone, and it’s not like the guy doesn’t have a solid arm

This is an interesting concept, but are they going to carry 3 QBs on gameday? Probably highly unlikely. Unless they have truly soured on Mason all of a sudden, he is competing for the #3 and won’t get a helmet. I’m just surprised they bring him in in their situation when they have Haskins for the role of never getting in a game. But they know who Dobbs is, Haskins at least still benefits from upside...unless that upside with them was short lived. 

@Dcash4 if they find success using Dobbs on QB sneaks, RPOs, and red zone packages then yes I think they would keep 3 active QBs. The Saints did it all last year (I know Hill wore a lot of hats). Or if you’re really strapped for spots due to injuries elsewhere you keep Dobbs active and he fills in for in-game injury to Ben and Mason is active if Ben is hurt for multiple weeks (Similar to the Saints where Jameis was the in-game sub for Brees but Taysom would start every game after). Idk there would be plenty of ways to do it but this is all hypothetical, just saying this could be a reason they wanted to bring him back, to test it out more in TC/Pre-season.

QB sneaks are proven statistically to be the most effective way to pick up 1 yard or less when you need it. Ben is either unable or unwilling to run them and Dobbs is perfect for it (you can run play-action boots and other things to keep defenses honest). Also Ben is 0 threat to run at this point so using Dobbs would be a nice compliment. Maybe Canada is pulling a card from the Saints who were in a similar situation with Brees who knows.

10 hours ago, DR43 said:

How about QB Kellen Mond in round 3?  Yay or nay?  

Mond is the only developmental QB in this draft that might be salvageable into a possible starter. 

Again, why waste a draft pick on a developmental QB?  Just pick one out next year and go for them.  It will be a pretty good QB draft.

• Like 2

@Dcash4 if they find success using Dobbs on QB sneaks, RPOs, and red zone packages then yes I think they would keep 3 active QBs. The Saints did it all last year (I know Hill wore a lot of hats). Or if you’re really strapped for spots due to injuries elsewhere you keep Dobbs active and he fills in for in-game injury to Ben and Mason is active if Ben is hurt for multiple weeks (Similar to the Saints where Jameis was the in-game sub for Brees but Taysom would start every game after). Idk there would be plenty of ways to do it but this is all hypothetical, just saying this could be a reason they wanted to bring him back, to test it out more in TC/Pre-season.

QB sneaks are proven statistically to be the most effective way to pick up 1 yard or less when you need it. Ben is either unable or unwilling to run them and Dobbs is perfect for it (you can run play-action boots and other things to keep defenses honest). Also Ben is 0 threat to run at this point so using Dobbs would be a nice compliment. Maybe Canada is pulling a card from the Saints who were in a similar situation with Brees who knows.

Saints situation was super unique. Hill was averaging over 20% of the offensive snaps when Brees was healthy. Personally, I do not want my third QB having that much responsibility and needing snaps/practice if he is so different from my top 2 QB's. It changes everyones dynamic for 2-3 players, at most, a game. Granted, we have our own unique situation where Ben takes a damn day off each week, so there are practice snaps

I agree with what @warfelgsaid regarding scout QB (and also does probably have to do with liking him in the room). But that third spot would be far better served by the developmental, former 1st rounder with our QB future as bleak as it is. The fact that they may have already committed to a practice piece instead of a potential QB piece makes me question how well Haskins is doing in Zoom meetings already.