Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

22 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've been thinking a little about our RB position. I'm becoming a little more comfortable with our RB room as it is. Snell looked great in week 1, albeit against a bad team(though they did have some big nasties up front). Chuks was pretty bad as a run blocker. I think his finesse game did not mesh well with Decastro's finesse game. Chuks looked good with Dotson next to him. If we can get a center that can run block, and another talented OT(or hope for Chuks improvement) I think we can do well with Snell and McFarland. I also think Fitchner was really bad which is far from a hot take. I think a full year for Dotson, Banner, and maybe Chuks will be really beneficial. Obviously, if we draft a RB that would be great. I guess I'm just preparing myself for if we don't. If the game slows down for McFarland, he can probably be a pretty good back. Snell has proven that if you feed him the rock consistently, he'll produce. 

You make some valid points, I agree that a coaching change was necessary and I also probably have more faith in Snell and McFarland than most. I just think we really need an “elite” RB that we can rely on to carry the offense. If we could somehow secure Humphrey and Friermuth (who would also help in the run game) and roll with a trio of Snell, McFarland, and Ballage I think we could make that work though, just not ideal. I’m not sure if people realize how much Ebron and even Vance contributed to our awful run blocking last year.

I just have a hard time seeing them not taking Etienne/Harris with how they’ve handled the RB situation so far this offseason. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
12 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

You make some valid points, I agree that a coaching change was necessary and I also probably have more faith in Snell and McFarland than most. I just think we really need an “elite” RB that we can rely on to carry the offense. If we could somehow secure Humphrey and Friermuth (who would also help in the run game) and roll with a trio of Snell, McFarland, and Ballage I think we could make that work though, just not ideal. I’m not sure if people realize how much Ebron and even Vance contributed to our awful run blocking last year.

I just have a hard time seeing them not taking Etienne/Harris with how they’ve handled the RB situation so far this offseason. 

These are valid points. I kind of think having an elite type back isn’t the best way to build an offense. I think it’s probably more valuable to invest resources into other positions. I understand that this is a weird draft, though. 

I find it kinda funny that every year through the pre-draft process most our local writers talk about how little national writers know, that their all wrong, Steelers need this, Steelers need that, then low and behold about 2 weeks out they start agreeing with it like they knew all along and the Steelers were doing a good job of hiding it (despite the fact they are doing better, they met with all the top RB's and none of the depth).

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Here’s to Highsmith beating AV for multiple sacks against the Ravens this year. 

Most likely more for RT due to Stanley coming back. Willing to bet it means they’ll be moving Brown. 

Which is even better for us. 

On the topic, I can’t recall a time where there was as much talent available this close to the draft. There’s some good players out there. 

EDIT: I’m actually shocked the Eagles haven’t called him with their LT uncertainty. Or if he’s willing to play RT there’s a couple of teams that should call. 

Edited by warfelg
On 4/17/2021 at 7:27 PM, warfelg said:

Tombert:

hungry lick GIF

Browning is Shazier 2.0.  Athletically gifted.  Explosive. Fast. Can't read a play for crap.  I would not take him in the 1st round but would knock over someone's grandma on the way to the podium on day 2.

But he fits what Tomlin loves so if Etienne is gone I could see him in the 1st.  Just a risk like Shazier

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Browning is Shazier 2.0.  Athletically gifted.  Explosive. Fast. Can't read a play for crap.  I would not take him in the 1st round but would knock over someone's grandma on the way to the podium on day 2.

But he fits what Tomlin loves so if Etienne is gone I could see him in the 1st.  Just a risk like Shazier

Browning will be an awesome pick in 2 years. He'll need his hand held his rookie year.  Kind of a Timmons situation, IMO. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the pick in rd.2. 1st, it really depends. I think I would be pretty whelmed if we took him in the 1st. 

Some of y’all keep talking about 2nd/3rd round guys like they are potential first round picks need too chill out a touch. Browning is a solid 2nd round guy. 

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Some of y’all keep talking about 2nd/3rd round guys like they are potential first round picks need too chill out a touch. Browning is a solid 2nd round guy. 

Terrell Edmunds says hello. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I got into a ...um..discussion... about him over the weekend on Reddit. I was told we don’t think he is good only because some people (read: everyone) thought he was a mid round which has clouded our judgment and that my expectations that a first round pick should become a good player was unreasonable. Like literally spelled out that expectations are a good player and acceptable is an average player that provides something during his contract. I was told I was very wrong.  

Sometimes I have interactions on other sites that really make me appreciate y’all. Being told it’s unreasonable to think that the goal of shooting a three pointer is to make the shot and that a far more acceptable goal is to get an offensive rebound is a weird hill to die on. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I got into a ...um..discussion... about him over the weekend on Reddit. I was told we don’t think he is good only because some people (read: everyone) thought he was a mid round which has clouded our judgment and that my expectations that a first round pick should become a good player was unreasonable. Like literally spelled out that expectations are a good player and acceptable is an average player that provides something during his contract. I was told I was very wrong.  

Sometimes I have interactions on other sites that really make me appreciate y’all. Being told it’s unreasonable to think that the goal of shooting a three pointer is to make the shot and that a far more acceptable goal is to get an offensive rebound is a weird hill to die on. 

I think Edmunds is a pretty good player. He's been a pretty average 1st round pick and I would be happy if he gets a second contract. I do think he was at best a 2nd round prospect, though. I try not to let his draft status cloud my judgement on him. I think he still does have the potential to be a very good SS, hence why I think it's a good idea to give him a second contract. His arrow is pointing up. 

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd argue though he was a 2nd round prospect, he was a high second and wouldn't have made it.  I 100% expect Browning to be there with our second.

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I was told we don’t think he is good only because some people (read: everyone) thought he was a mid round which has clouded our judgment and that my expectations that a first round pick should become a good player was unreasonable. Like literally spelled out that expectations are a good player and acceptable is an average player that provides something during his contract.

Kinda an aside, but this is something I've seen regularly pop up with Steelers fans: Perception of what a guy is in year 1/2 is the judgement of his career.

Sanders is injury prone and despite going elsewhere and proving it he was never good.  Bud Dupree is still a bust to some fans because he wasn't good.  Heck, I've been to one place that calls Cam overrated because he didn't become a stud until 27/28.  I think in the past when they were able to let a player sit a year or two, come in and do well, combined with Ben/Juju's instant success; has gotten some Steeler fan perceptions warped as to how to judge talent.

Like I'd actually argue, now, Edmunds is a top 15 SS in the NFL.

• Like 1