Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m not sure if I buy this. They did not attend Jenkin’s pro day and they do not typically take medical risks like Dickerson in the 1st, although I see a higher chance at Dickerson than Jenkins.

Came here to say this.  Jenkins would be out of right field for sure.  Harris.. 'duh.'  Dickerson is a total question mark as they have access to his medicals, not us.  If it is dumb luck injuries, I'd be 1000000% OK with him at 24.

Still gonna be Etienne/Harris.

• Like 1

For poops and giggles I did two quick PFF mock simulators.  Here's with me putting things a touch random but sticking to their board of needs:

34 Walker Little; 55 Pat Freiermuth; 66 Najee Harris; 87 Kendrick Green; 128 Baron Browning; 140 Aaron Brooks; 216 Drake Jackson; 245 Ian Book; 254 Tommy Doyle.  2 OTs, 2 OGs, 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 RB, 1 LB, 1 OC.  Grade: A

What I want to do with a slightly less random but using my board of needs:

35 Samuel Cosmi; 55 Quinn Meinerz; 68 Ifeatu Melifanwu; 87 Trey Sermon; 128 Shaka Toney; 140 Kary Vincent Jr; 216 Tony Poljan; 245 Shane Buechele; 254 Trey Hill.  1 OT; 2 IOL; 2 CB; 1 RB; 1 EDGE; 1 TE; 1 QB.  Grade: B-

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

3 year extension for Tomlin, interesting.

Kinda bummed about this. I like Tomlin still, but there are things he needs to commit to changing. I had hoped that this would be an ultimate "prove it" type of year. 

Talked a lot about changes in that post season presser and they didn't really make any. Now they committed to a future. This season's gonna have to be good now. I don't think Tomlin has much choice. 

I think it means we’re gonna see what I want to see: A Tomlin team without the influence of Ben. I think it’s smart that if you are going to lose the face of the franchise from a player standpoint then you need some stability, especially when your GM keeps getting year to year deals. 

• Like 4

I'm curious to see what a tomlin led team without Ben will look like, especially with Canada as the OC. Also wonder how many more years Tomlin has in him, thought maybe he might want a reset soon, but I was wrong. Mike might be one of those guys who's a HC for 25 yrs due to how young he started. He's a 10 yrs younger than Harbaugh lol

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Worth noting Tomlin is 15-13 without Ben in his career. And that’s strictly with backups. 

Wow. What a resume! I'm sure you'd feel comfortable betting on this, right?

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Wow. What a resume! I'm sure you'd feel comfortable betting on this, right?

Wow Tomlin haters get so sensitive 😂

I’m simply pointing out he has done better when Ben has gone down the most coaches do when they lose their starting QB. And a lot of those games with backups like Dennis Dixon, Duck Hodges, and the corpse of Michael Vick. We’ve seen teams like the 49ers crumble without Jimmy G and that’s with a “offensive genius” for a head coach.

Tomlin is a good enough coach to keep us competitive regardless of who is at QB. Winning playoff games is obviously a different story.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

We’ve seen teams like the 49ers crumble without Jimmy G and that’s with a “offensive genius” for a head coach.

The 49ers suffered a lot more injuries than just the one to Garoppolo, but Tomlin defenders use 1-2 injuries on defense as an excuse as to why his units collapse in December and January routinely.

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

And a lot of those games with backups like Dennis Dixon, Duck Hodges, and the corpse of Michael Vick.

Then you should have no problem placing a bet on the subject when the time comes.

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The 49ers suffered a lot more injuries than just the one to Garoppolo, but Tomlin defenders use 1-2 injuries on defense as an excuse as to why his units collapse in December and January routinely..

Thats not what I said though is it? I'm clearly not trying to make that point but your Tomlin hate goggles won't prevent you from taking the discussion there. Let me make my point clear once again, Tomlin has performed better than average with backups/without Ben in his career. Plenty of teams have collapsed when their starting QB has gone down, the 49ers have done it TWICE. I can dig up other examples if you'd like. 

Then you should have no problem placing a bet on the subject when the time comes.

If you're trying to say that I will not place a bet that Tomlin's steak of not having losing season continues the first season Ben retires I can assure you I would gladly take that bet, you know considering he's done that for 14 seasons in a row now. 

Feel free to go through my post history. I am not a blind Tomlin supporter. I'm not even a big fan of giving him this extension so early, I would rather him have a "prove it" year this season. You know, its ok to acknowledge Tomlin's successes and track record while also being realistic about his recent playoff disappointments and failure to win a ring with the Killer B's. 

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Let me make my point clear once again, Tomlin has performed better than average with backups/without Ben in his career.

Doing so for a full season is a lot tougher to do than the occasional spot duty, and even last year he benefited from Hodges who came in right when Rudolph started to struggle. Once there was tape on the two of them, the collapse started.

And Tomlin didn't lose all of their defensive stars to injuries, either, like the 49ers did.

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If you're trying to say that I will not place a bet that Tomlin's steak of not having losing season continues the first season Ben retires I can assure you I would gladly take that bet, you know considering he's done that for 14 seasons in a row now. 

I'll gladly take that bet when the time comes.