Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Reading the press conference tid-bits I am very glad that they are recognizing what I believe was the true downfall of the offense -- just how bad the X's and O's were last year. 

But it's also infuriating that they most likely knew that all along and just continued to assume it would get better even when it pretty clearly was not. 

• Like 2

Landon Dickerson off the board?

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Reading the press conference tid-bits I am very glad that they are recognizing what I believe was the true downfall of the offense -- just how bad the X's and O's were last year. 

But it's also infuriating that they most likely knew that all along and just continued to assume it would get better even when it pretty clearly was not. 

Frustrating too. I’m starting to wonder if Canada was brought in to sorta do what Munchak did with organizing the run game; Fitchner didn’t do it the same way he did with Munchak; and that lead to Fitchners dismissal and Canada’s elevation. 

Additionally Tom Pelissero just expressed Julio could be had for maybe a 3rd and 5th. Given if we are taking a one year shot window would you do a 3rd and JW for Julio in the hope he’s healthy? Julio and Juju with Johnson and Claypool mixed in would be sick. The Killer J’s. 

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I actually disagree here. I really think he’s kinda tea leaving that they won’t rule out RB but they got other positions/players rate higher. 

I was doing a deep dive on Brett Kollman’s and Bengals youtube channels and they made a very interesting statement: While the Steelers have some holes, they line up with the deepest positions in the draft. It makes us very unpredictable, and we might even be a candidate to move down. 

Yes every position besides RB, which also happens to be our biggest hole (in my opinion). It would like a Parsons, Darrisaw, Horn, etc. to fall for it not to be RB in my opinion. I obviously could be completely wrong though. Gun to my head I think the draft will fall

1 - RB

2 - CB/Edge

3. C

4A - TE/OT

4B - CB/Edge

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Frustrating too. I’m starting to wonder if Canada was brought in to sorta do what Munchak did with organizing the run game; Fitchner didn’t do it the same way he did with Munchak; and that lead to Fitchners dismissal and Canada’s elevation. 

That's interesting...could very well be. We ran our best early in the year when it was pretty obvious that Canada concepts were in use. Those completely went away later in the season as did our successful running. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Additionally Tom Pelissero just expressed Julio could be had for maybe a 3rd and 5th. Given if we are taking a one year shot window would you do a 3rd and JW for Julio in the hope he’s healthy? Julio and Juju with Johnson and Claypool mixed in would be sick. The Killer J’s. 

I would definitely consider it. I might even consider throwing a Claypool/DJ instead of JW, if needed, into the mix seeing as he would probably be taking their spot over (but not sure I would want to). 

Helps redzone. Helps clear out space for JuJu (member what that was like?) and DJ/Claypool, opens up the run game. Yup. I am in. 

Trade up to 10 and draft a dropping Fields, trade for Julio Jones, hammer the O-Line and defense, win championships. 

Really shocking to hear him talk so openly about it and even reference division opponents and 5 spots without batting an eye. I wonder if he’s had preliminary talks with the Ravens already (only team I can think of wanting to move up for Bateman) but again nothing me by only talking about the first pick and not the full compensation. If Baltimore gives up 28, 94, 171 that’s the point differential to move up. So you can still get that RB but you get a 3 and 5 to give you moving up in Rd 2 options if you need it. 

• Like 1

Even joking about trading for a 31 year old WR battling injuries the last few seasons and who is owed $15 mil guaranteed this year is insane. Throwing in one of Johnson or Claypool? Yea, no. Just no.

Colbert sounded more open to the notion of trading down in his presser than I've ever heard him.

There is nothing I want more in this world than for the Ravens to trade assets and pay salary cap space for a top tier receiver.

Either change what your offense is conceptually or force the leagues lowest amount of targets per game in one players direction. 

Waste the talent/assets or change what makes you incredibly dangerous. Either way I am fine with it. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Some other tidbits:

Colbert believes it’s an extremely deep draft for day 1 starting centers.

I don't see it.

Tomlin believes running issues are just as much scheme related and formation related as it is talent.

Perhaps, but I still think talent and the inability to throw downfield were the biggest issues.

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

I don't see it.

Perhaps, but I still think talent and the inability to throw downfield were the biggest issues.

I can see it. The difference between say, Humphrey (H2nd) and say, Green (L3rd) isn’t huge. And even guys in the 4th isn’t a huge drop from there. 

I think all those issues are so intrinsically tied together it’s almost impossible to say which is which TBH. Ben can get the ball downfield but he needs a bigger window than in the past. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hmm....trade back and Freiermuth as our first pick?

I wouldn’t like it but if could get an additional 3 and 5 while staying in 1st and Keeping that 5th year option, I would understand it.

My theory on this is he’s so in his ways from the days they took BPA in early rounds knowing they didn’t need them right away, so sometimes he doesn’t look at the value of dropping in terms of getting 2 in your 30-50 players rather than 1 in your 25-30 range. 

Also ties to my above frustration of not running mocks anymore. 

He loves the 5th year option.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Landon Dickerson off the board?

He should be off the board for the 1st round.  You can start to discuss it at the end of the 2nd but he is quite a injury risk for teams.  Where is the risk covered?  4th or 5th round.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Did anyone else see where McShay predicted the Bills could trade ahead of us and Jets to take a RB? My dream is they trade up to 22, take Harris, and leave us with Etienne.

That's still better than Steeler Hater #1 MJD; who today on NATIONAL SXM RADIO, said that the Dolphins and Jets will take Harris and Etienne to prevent them from ending up with the Steelers.  Then when asked who the Steelers would take he moved off he Rousseau take, and instead said "Landon Dickerson.  I know he has an injury history, but he's what they need, and if he can't stay healthy, they're the Steelers, they'll figure it out."  He was then read the Colbert quote, and he goes (without a crack in his voice); "I'm sticking with my answer, they have no holes, so they can take a guy that might not see the field a lot."

How does he stay employed. lol