Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Woah:

Totally disagree with this.

$6.5 mill locked in for an average-slightly above average S is fine considering how much cap room they had in 2022.

Plus he’s only 24...it’s just creating another hole.

Edited by AFF

I'm fine with the Edmunds call. I think $6.5M is too expensive to guarantee him. You hope that he takes a jump, but if he doesn't -- you find that SS/Box role all over the place and could replace it at a cost under $5M. 

Personally, I would like them to work on a short term extension that pays him under $5M per, but let's him test FA again soon. 

If he Booms and takes another step forward he is worth it, but if he plays like has has the last 3 years its a replaceable position against a near $7M cost. 

Last 2 years at the box S role FA's to sign (per year):

- Kareem Jackson: $5M
- Vonn Bell: $6M
- Keanu Neal: $4M
- Karl Joseph: $2.5M and $1.25M
- Sendejo: $2.25M

Based on current production is Edmunds more productive than that list to justify paying well over them in some cases? Probably not. Vonn Bell is the direct comparison and has out produced Edmunds in the last 3 years comparatively. Don't overpay for Edmunds unless he takes the jump. If he doesn't, you are overpaying average.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Any idea why Shakur Brown wasnt drafted?  It seems very peculiar he wasnt selected if some feel he was fourth round talent.

I don't have particulars about Brown, but this happens every year. So it's not all that odd.

13 hours ago, AFF said:

Totally disagree with this.

$6.5 mill locked in for an average-slightly above average S is fine considering how much cap room they had in 2022.

Plus he’s only 24...it’s just creating another hole.

I couldnt agree more.

A year from now, we're going to have needs in the following positions at a minimum: Safety, CB, QB, NT, Guard

5 hours ago, DR43 said:

I couldnt agree more.

A year from now, we're going to have needs in the following positions at a minimum: Safety, CB, QB, NT, Guard

But you can get a pretty good safety for less than the 6.5M that they would pay him.

I'm starting to think that declining the option was about setting a ceiling in negotiations ($6.5mil) rather than a floor ($6.5mil).  Teams really are starting to use the option as a negotiation tool rather than a "lets keep him" tool.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm starting to think that declining the option was about setting a ceiling in negotiations ($6.5mil) rather than a floor ($6.5mil).  Teams really are starting to use the option as a negotiation tool rather than a "lets keep him" tool.

This makes the more sense, I'd say. I don't think it means we aren't going to bring him back. Maybe we could get him for 4/20M next year.