Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Oh, Bobby McCain from the Dolphins was just released....this interests me. I think he would immediately slot into Hiltons role as he is a nickel CB/S type. 

I wouldn't hate bringing in McCain. I also think we should look at Russell Okung. I know he's always injured, but  I'm worried about Chuks as our LT. I hope he's improved from last year. Granted Chuks probably did look his best next to the powerful Dotson. He looked worse with Decastro next to him. We need to do better at staggering our finesse and power blockers. 

Chuks(finesse) - Dotson(Power) - Green(we'll see) - Decastro(Finesse) - Banner(Power)

That's better than having one side of finesse and the other of power. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Oh, Bobby McCain from the Dolphins was just released....this interests me. I think he would immediately slot into Hiltons role as he is a nickel CB/S type. 

He was a team captain as well I believe, would love to bring him in but I’m sure he’ll generate interests from other teams as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

He was a team captain as well I believe, would love to bring him in but I’m sure he’ll generate interests from other teams as well.

I don't really understand what the Phins are up to regarding their defense. They cut two of the leaders in Van Noy and McCain. They didn't really seem to replace them either. Maybe they did and I just didn't see it because I don't really pay attention to other teams. 

Over the cap has Steelers at $86 mill...but I think they’re using a cap of roughly $200 mill...and this site is using this years cap of $186 as its baseline.

Even if you just meet in middle that’s roughly $80 mill...and that’s already including Minkahs 5th year option and the dead $$$ of Ben/Ebron/Juju....plus the easily cuttable deals of Banner(5 mill and Tuitt($9mill).

Things are looking good.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Things are looking good.

Absolutely, and the biggest key to it is just flexibility - not necessarily the number itself. They have flexibility into the future to handle contracts however they see fit. 

Still want to do low year 1 deals because the cap will continue to grow in the future, go for it. Want to front load some older vets to get them off the books later, do it. 

There should be zero worry about dead cap/future spending. The world is our financial oyster....for once...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 43M said:

How does voided money work?   Shows voided money for Ben, Juju and Ebron next year.

So it’s tricky. Signing bonuses can be prorated for the length of the contract in even divided amounts. 

So they all have a clause that voids the remaining years on a certain date that accelerates all the signing bonuses into next year. So basically it’s a “cheap” way to lower the cap hit on a one year deal by creating a longer contract. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Absolutely, and the biggest key to it is just flexibility - not necessarily the number itself. They have flexibility into the future to handle contracts however they see fit. 

Still want to do low year 1 deals because the cap will continue to grow in the future, go for it. Want to front load some older vets to get them off the books later, do it. 

There should be zero worry about dead cap/future spending. The world is our financial oyster....for once...

Yep...however they see fit.

It’s why I expect Watt and Minkah deals to get done roughly easily.

If they wanted to supplement the team with a dive into FA they can do it...for example paying up for an OL and another solid CB to replace Haden next year.

Also the contracts of Haeg/Wormley/Alalu/Banner are easily cuttable with a combined $5 mill in dead $$ but $13 mill in freed up space  if they don’t work out.(roughly)

88 is pretty freaking sick for Friermuth. 

Im surprised that Green took 53, I thought they would give it a few seasons before giving out that number again.

They definitely cut Nelson so they could give Najee his college number right?

Edited by bigben07MVP

18 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

88 is pretty freaking sick for Friermuth. 

Im surprised that Green took 53, I thought they would give it a few seasons before giving out that number again.

They definitely cut Nelson so they could give Najee his college number right?

Harris - 22

Freiermuth - 89

Green - 51 (I think 53 will be unofficially retired)

Moore - 71

Johnson - 1 (our first positional player taking advantage of the lax number rules)

Loudermilk - 92

Roche - 50

Norwood - 22

Harvin - 3

I dunno why I gave Norwood 22 as well, lol, but woof was I off.

• Like 1

These are my thoughts as well. This is a make or break year for McFarland. 2nd year is usually when our skill players take a jump. I think they will gave Najee all he can handle year 1 but it would certainly help to have McFarland be a capable spark plug when Najee needs a breather. He can bring that element I was hoping we would get if we drafted ETN.