Jump to content

Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...


Recommended Posts

There are still some interesting EDGE guys available. Melvin Gordon is the top of the list, but he'll have to be ready to play for pennies if he wants to come here. I'd love to grab him right as the season starts. Let him slowly come up to speed and have him ready to go by the home stretch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

There are still some interesting EDGE guys available. Melvin Gordon is the top of the list, but he'll have to be ready to play for pennies if he wants to come here. I'd love to grab him right as the season starts. Let him slowly come up to speed and have him ready to go by the home stretch. 

Ingram would be an awesome addition. I think he’s got more juice left than Kerrigan and can rush from a variety of spots which makes him an ideal 3rd pass rusher. You could play Watt, Highsmith, and Ingram together on passing downs. Houston or Ingram would be ideal but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I have a feeling it will ultimately be Jabaal Sheard who we sign or *gulps* Chickillo. Steelers love bringing back mediocre vets. 

.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Ingram would be an awesome addition. I think he’s got more juice left than Kerrigan and can rush from a variety of spots which makes him an ideal 3rd pass rusher. You could play Watt, Highsmith, and Ingram together on passing downs. Houston or Ingram would be ideal but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I have a feeling it will ultimately be Jabaal Sheard who we sign or *gulps* Chickillo. Steelers love bringing back mediocre vets. 

.

I'd love all the guys you mentioned, except for Chick of course. That guy stinks. I've always kind of liked Sheard. Houston is another interesting guy for sure. That dude is a powerhouse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd love all the guys you mentioned, except for Chick of course. That guy stinks. I've always kind of liked Sheard. Houston is another interesting guy for sure. That dude is a powerhouse. 

Houston is the player to sign. Not only should he still be good, but at one time was elite and can help with vet coaching as a teammate . I can't believe he is still available but lets see if colbert signs him.  2 years would be a good deal

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Houston is the player to sign. Not only should he still be good, but at one time was elite and can help with vet coaching as a teammate . I can't believe he is still available but lets see if colbert signs him.  2 years would be a good deal

I don't want to sign any EDGE guy to more than a 1 year deal. They don't need to continue to block Highsmith. They only need to ease him into the starting spot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They have $9 mill in cap room...they have about $5mill to play with since they keep a little around for in season...they can afford a solid FA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AFF said:

They have $9 mill in cap room...they have about $5mill to play with since they keep a little around for in season...they can afford a solid FA.

what will Houston get is probably in the 5M range I would expect since nobody has signed him yet. This is a no brainer, wtf is colbert waiting for. If Watt or Highsmith get hurt, then what?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what will Houston get is probably in the 5M range I would expect since nobody has signed him yet. This is a no brainer, wtf is colbert waiting for. If Watt or Highsmith get hurt, then what?

If we got outbid by the Eagles for Kerrigan at 1 year 3.5 mill I have a hard time seeing them spend more than that to be honest. If they weren’t willing to go to 3.5 for Kerrigan, will they throw 5 at Houston to be a backup/part time player (albeit a very valuable one).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If we got outbid by the Eagles for Kerrigan at 1 year 3.5 mill I have a hard time seeing them spend more than that to be honest. If they weren’t willing to go to 3.5 for Kerrigan, will they throw 5 at Houston to be a backup/part time player (albeit a very valuable one).

I didn't know the salaries offered. I would say $5M is a good deal, so just sign get started.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these vets will sign cheap closer to the season and cuts start happening...I wouldn't be in a rush to sign those guys there will be an abundance of them  

 

A Combo of Ingram / Houston and Poole / denard would be pretty good though

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Good breakdown of the run game over at BTSC 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/5/18/22436201/examining-the-steelers-run-game-part-one-what-went-wrong-in-2020-randy-fichtner-james-conner-nfl

It only focuses on the Cinci game, but it offers some nice insight. I'd love to see an in depth look at more than one game, though. 

The thing that I always seemed to notice is that guys never seemed to be on the same page. I attribute that to coaching. Those clips talking about execution seem to even show guys almost carrying out assignments opposite of each other. 

I can remember a play when I was watching to try to see what was wrong in the run game where Chuks had his guy sealed to the outside like the play was to go inside of him but the pulling Pouncey went around the outside of Chuks -- the RB followed and was easily tackled by the man Chuks was blocking who had a free outside shoulder. I have no idea if Pouncey was wrong or if Chuks was wrong -- but they both seemed to be doing what they thought was right. 

It's a big part of why I am bullish on our run game improvements -- and the offense as a whole. There are so many instances that make it seem like the people in charge of the run game were just incompetent. Both of those guys are gone now. No clue what Canada and Klemm will ultimately be like together, but it's not really hard to be better than Fichtner and Sarett. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

re: run game - the OL was bad last year and ben never helped either.  Harris might be a capable back, but he was also on a n elite team. Now he is on a team that is far from that, but the fichner affect won't be a concern anyways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...