Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

On 5/18/2021 at 8:49 AM, bigben07MVP said:

If we got outbid by the Eagles for Kerrigan at 1 year 3.5 mill I have a hard time seeing them spend more than that to be honest. If they weren’t willing to go to 3.5 for Kerrigan, will they throw 5 at Houston to be a backup/part time player (albeit a very valuable one).

I heard it's not as much the outbid, but rather ability to play against his former team.

• Like 1

I'd welcome him, but there is an issue:

Sherman is exclusively a LCB.  With us Haden has been exclusively a LCB.  One of them would have to adjust.  Now I think that Haden would be willing to move to RCB, and it would be a good thing, but as the article alludes to, he's got to be willing to come for the minimum.

Now could those things be possible?  Sure.  Likely? No.  

I rather see them go after Nickell Robey-Coleman or Darqueze Dennard.  Heck I would love to see them take a run at Geno Atkins or Jurrell Casey to add some DL depth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Sherman is exclusively a LCB.  With us Haden has been exclusively a LCB.  One of them would have to adjust.  Now I think that Haden would be willing to move to RCB, and it would be a good thing, but as the article alludes to, he's got to be willing to come for the minimum.

Agreed with everything. I do have a fantasy scenario that would love to see Sherman play the slot in our defense. He is still physical, a great tackler, and super smart. 

Your not as worried about his pure coverage in the slot with Minkah behind (a la Hilton), but his ability to be an asset against the run and a game changer with his brain against the pass could be a real problem. 

Hilton had a hand in 6 turnovers last year, but every other year averaged about 3. I think your looking at that 6 number with Sherman there. But again...just a thought based scenario and one that won’t happen. 

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

At the end of this upcoming season what could we be looking for in terms of position?

Safety, 2 corners, NT, OT, OG, and QB.

Anything else?

Couldn’t we lose JuJu, Washington, and Diontae? WR might be on there. I mean, I don’t think it happens, but it could.

Maybe a pass rusher. We could go a lot of ways next year. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Couldn’t we lose JuJu, Washington, and Diontae? WR might be on there. I mean, I don’t think it happens, but it could.

2nd TE...maybe not OT.

WR probably will be with Juju and Washington FAs at end of season.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

RB might be the only position thats NOT a need next year.

We really need several players to progress into at least servicable starters....otherwise we are going to have too many holes and tons of cap space wont resolve that.    Im not into insanely overpaying for free agents, regardless of cap space.

20 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Agreed with everything. I do have a fantasy scenario that would love to see Sherman play the slot in our defense. He is still physical, a great tackler, and super smart. 

Your not as worried about his pure coverage in the slot with Minkah behind (a la Hilton), but his ability to be an asset against the run and a game changer with his brain against the pass could be a real problem. 

Hilton had a hand in 6 turnovers last year, but every other year averaged about 3. I think your looking at that 6 number with Sherman there. But again...just a thought based scenario and one that won’t happen. 

Sherman would be bad in the slot. Doesn’t have the hip range or short burst speed. 

On 5/23/2021 at 7:48 AM, warfelg said:

I rather see them go after Nickell Robey-Coleman or Darqueze Dennard.  Heck I would love to see them take a run at Geno Atkins or Jurrell Casey to add some DL depth.

can there be some renegotiating of contracts to make room to sign Sherman and Houston? Those were 2 of the best players at their position, and could bring leadership and mentor the youth on the team .  The is when keeping JJSS doesn't make sense, as he has no QB and didn't do much last year anyways. At least with defenders, they have the better chance to be of value as they don't rely quite as much as say a QB, pass pro etc...... but they do rely ov pass rush and coverage. Wait, thats what they can address here 👏

Maybe they will renegotiate ben's deal for a few more years