Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

4 hours ago, 43M said:

I see Steven Nelson is still a FA.  

He would probably rather sit out than play for us after what happened, but I wonder if that relationship is salvageable.

how would you feel? washed up QB returns and they cut you :$

I don't understand why another team hasn't signed him, he was really good 2 seasons ago, and still good last year.   I was shocked they cut him, thought they would have cut Haden before Nelson as a cap casualty.  

On 5/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, wwhickok said:

And he is 100% right

also needs a legit OC, run blocking OL and the will to actually allow the team to have a run game. Spears knows this ,  I never saw the entire clip don't want to either. 

On 5/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, warfelg said:

Sherman would be bad in the slot. Doesn’t have the hip range or short burst speed. 

The way we have played with our slot defender the last 4 years, those are pretty low on my list of why I would or wouldn't want him there. Hilton played the role far more like a third safety and we still play a high percentage of zone. His physicality, smarts, and length, IMO, would fit the role well - especially with a guy like Sutton who would be able to interchange slot/outside with him in passing situations (much like how we took Hilton off the field occasionally). 

Having said that, I did watch more Sherman and ew no. No clue how he got the grade he did in 2019. Actually, I take that back, yes I do...PFF is trash when it comes to coverage stats. 

21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The way we have played with our slot defender the last 4 years, those are pretty low on my list of why I would or wouldn't want him there. Hilton played the role far more like a third safety and we still play a high percentage of zone. His physicality, smarts, and length, IMO, would fit the role well - especially with a guy like Sutton who would be able to interchange slot/outside with him in passing situations (much like how we took Hilton off the field occasionally). 

Having said that, I did watch more Sherman and ew no. No clue how he got the grade he did in 2019. Actually, I take that back, yes I do...PFF is trash when it comes to coverage stats. 

This is why I haven't been super upset about us not getting a slot style CB to replace Hilton. I think his job can be done fairly well by a safety. I'm hopeful Brooks is that guy. Adding a little more size and physicality to our defense would be a benefit. I liked Hilton, but he was a smurf. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anyone know how we usually construct our secondary? How many CB and S do we usually carry?

Without looking back, I think that number is usually 10 DBs. I think we were light on Safeties last year, but I also think that's because they considered Sutton and Hilton a mix of both. My guess is we are at 10 again this year. 

Just a side note on DB's....I am actually a little encouraged about our situation. Im not confident we are good, but I do like a bit of what they have done. Haden and Sutton are fairly well known at this point, as are Minkah and Edmunds at safety. But they have competition and flexibility to really let a competition play out and the best man/men win. Pierre vs Layne on the outside. Brown, Maulet (who they listed as a S), Norwood, and Wade all competing for nickel/dime roles. If the outside guys show the best, Sutton can slide inside. If the inside guys ball, Sutton stays outside. If multiple guys stand out we have a great dime package. 

Again, don't know if we will be good, but I do like the competition that's brewing between like 7 guys. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers radio analyst Tunch Ilkin is retiring to focus on dealing with his ALS.

Ilkin, who played 14 years on the offensive line for the Steelers from 1980-1993 and spent the last 23 as a broadcaster for the team, announced his decision Thursday.

The 63-year-old Ilkin, a two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman during his playing career, revealed his ALS diagnosis last fall but continued to work through the remainder of the 2020 season. ALS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"I want to spend this time focusing on my treatment and fighting this disease," Ilkin said in a statement. "I would like to thank Steelers President Art Rooney II, the Steelers organization, and the fans for their continued support and prayers at this time."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31559643/long-pittsburgh-steelers-broadcaster-tunch-ilkin-retiring-fight-als

• 2 weeks later...